Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingPBcastcoWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma hunters please help

Oklahoma hunters please help

I have never hunted aside from squirrels, and am wanting to get a deer this year. I have access to land and can kill the thing, but have zero knowledge past that. How does one get started?

Nobody I know hunts, but I was hoping to tag along with someone so I can at least know how to gut a deer before I go and shoot one. I have watched some videos but am more of a hands on learner.

Banned

What part of Oklahoma are you in? As gun and hunting friendly as that state is, I have a hard time believing you can't find some help.

I've killed exactly two deer in Oklahoma about 20 years ago when I was stationed on Fort sill, both with my own cast in a .50 caliber Hawken. One was a pretty good sized buck. Oklahoma's seasons are longer and bag limits more lenient than Kansas. If you have access to some good land, you should do fine.

Get on UTube and search "How to gut a deer" and you will be on the way .

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    What part of Oklahoma are you in? As gun and hunting friendly as that state is, I have a hard time believing you can't find some help.

I've killed exactly two deer in Oklahoma about 20 years ago when I was stationed on Fort sill, both with my own cast in a .50 caliber Hawken. One was a pretty good sized buck. Oklahoma's seasons are longer and bag limits more lenient than Kansas. If you have access to some good land, you should do fine.
    I am of the same mind, gotta be something.... I just don’t know where to look. I had thought to try a hunter Ed course and hit some people up but the only thing I found was an online course.

Boolit Master
    I field dress my deer just like a REALLY big squirrel. Seriously, slit him up the middle and split the pelvis, then remove the innards and bung. Wash him out and cool him down with ice in the cavity ASAP, like inside an hour. Get him home and with skin it out or take to a processor is probably your best bet for now.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    T McD. Hello and welcome to the journey. I too hope to take my first deer in a long time. Killed a few when I was a teenager but my less fortunate budies always wanted them for chow, totally wiling to do the dirty work to eat. This round its for my and my belly, want to learn as well. So far as I can tell feild dressing is the easy part. I’m still trying to figure out hanging and aging. Best of luck inyour journey.
    👍🏼

Boolit Master
    Chainsaw, there’s a long thread/argument on here about aging deer. Think it in in the cooking section. Lots of opinions, everybody has one.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Where are you in OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    Get on UTube and search "How to gut a deer" and you will be on the way .
    Thats about how I learned. I watched it as teenager with my grandpa once. Fast forward 15 years, i told my self i was finnaly going to do it. Realized past shooting it i didnt know what to do. Watch a bunch of youtube videos. There are a lot of good ones and a few bad ones.

Remember minimize waste and maximize eatable meat. Now after a few years and several deer, i am getting pretty good at it. Lol, took all day and into the next morning my first deer. That was shot, skinned, quartered, deboned and into portioned zip lock bags.

Now i shoot it skin it and quarter it by noon and its aging in the fridge for 2 days. Then i spend a day butchering. It takes me a while too butcher. I blame thst on the care and attention i give it. I dont want to waste any more than i need to.

Tips:
    - carry latex gloves. specially if you are squimish it helps. Plus most dissease are gotten during this time.
    - keep your knives sharp.
    - carry a heavy knife for the sternum. And medium and light knife for skinning.
    -pack dental floss. When you cut out the anus and urethra you can tie them off with floss to prevent contamination.
    - i pack a folding saw for splitting pelvices and cutting bones like hooves and spines.
    -keep a gallon of watter for clean up and rinsing the carcas and tools.
    -only time in my life I use hand sanitizer. I am mechabic and eat my lunch covered in grease and oild and fuel. For some weird reseason I only use hand sanitizer after butchering.

I have a feild dressing kit with all the tools in it. I back my truck up to a tree with the deer in the bed. Get the gimbal ready ( carry a monkeys paw and a few ropes, you never know what you need engineer). Tie the raising rope to the bumper and gently pull forward. Up goes the deer and i am lazy. Lay down a tarp to keep the peices clean. Then have a friend stand watch while i work. Bear and mountain lions and various scavengers will be attracted. Not trying to get eaten alive. I promise there wont be a trace of what happened come morning. I keep a giant cooler with a couple bags of ice in it. Only cost a few buck from the IceBox machine to fill. This cooler is the size of truck bed tool box and cant hold a few quartered deer.

I have to skin and quarter in the feild. Wife rule #1: food doesnt come home cute and furry. She is over the butchering part, but cant watch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    T McD. Hello and welcome to the journey. I too hope to take my first deer in a long time. Killed a few when I was a teenager but my less fortunate budies always wanted them for chow, totally wiling to do the dirty work to eat. This round its for my and my belly, want to learn as well. So far as I can tell feild dressing is the easy part. I’m still trying to figure out hanging and aging. Best of luck inyour journey.
    Yeah, lots of opinions and ideas. Personally, i live in an apartment in Florida, i pull the bottom drawer out of the fridge and put down a drip tray and wire rack. The set the quarter deer there to age for 48 hours. Works well for me. I would say age for a min 24 hours to get rid of rigor mortis. Its a pits to debone a rigor mortis. Time frame after that us just for taste and will be tailored to what you and the family like. My family enjoys 2 to 3 days. Bucks take a bit more attention to detail and thorough blood drain and rinsing, helps with their stronger game taste.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Congrats on deer hunting and hunting in general. If you've field dressed a squirrel as rking22 said, they're laid out pretty much the same just much bigger. Grandpa walked me through my first rabbit, I figured out the squirrel, then I happened to be with my older cousin when I got my first deer. All he did was say it best to just jump in a get it over with. Have a good knife, gloves and about the only real difference is the size and in particular the size of the bones. A young deer you won't have any trouble cutting through the sturnum or pelvic bone, but an older one will be more calcified. I have field dressed many deer solely with a 6" fixed blade buck knife. It works, but occasionally you'll poke a hole in the bladder or colon splitting the pelvic bone. My favorite specialized tool for the pelvic bone is a small Gerber saw https://www.cabelas.com/product/Gerb...E&gclsrc=aw.ds which lets you cut through the bone so you can spread the legs apart and break the pelvic bone open enough to remove the intact bladder and colon. The saw is small and easily put in your pack. Another option is a viking solutions deer splitter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9X6wuiaryM Not as easy to keep in the pack, so I keep it in the truck zip tied shut (odd that they didn't include a lock in the design) but it works quickly and easily. You likely could also use an old set of tree pruners. Really though a nice strong fixed blade knife is all you need.

I’m in northern Oklahoma

Boolit Master
    Interesting tool there Moleman. I shoot young deer by preference so the pelvis is rarely an issue. I have batoned a fixed blade to split it but don’t do that to a folder. As long as you get the blade into the joint there is little resistance compared to bone. I guess being not much squeamish simplifies my kit, it consists of what ever knife I have on me. I have used everything from a KissingCrane stockman to neck knife and a machete once. Preference is a 3 1/2 inch to 4 inch fixed blade drop point is nice. I would suggest keeping a gallon plastic bag for the heart, and liver if you like liver. Baby wipes I hear are nice for cleanup as well as other duties. I have yet to remember to get any so wind up washing hands when I get a chance. Get you some baby wipes. My wife is used to food being encased in cuteness, so I can skin and quarter under the tractor bucket at home. You asked about field dressing, skinning and quarrying aren’t rocket sicience either, but a helper would be nice first go round.

Boolit Buddy
    Where are U in OK. Hunting is diverse in OK. I am in NW OK in the Cimarron river valley.

Kay County, 15 minutes from Kansas Border.

The first one I did, my Uncle helped and talked me through it.

His method was to hang them upside down.

Once I got the innards out, they were still attached WAY,,, up at the top,,,,, on the far end of the large intestine.

My Uncle, (trying not to laugh) as I gave him the 'what's next look' told me,
    ,,,,,,,,"just lift the tail, stick your finger in there and cut around it. Even you're smart enough not to cut your own finger".

Hope it helps. Like Red Green says, "We're all in this together".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems like I've done it every which way from Sunday and have generally found that hanging the head highest help in the management of the basic field dressing. Rope around the neck, hoist it as far up a tree as I can (sometimes that's not too far), and then open up the belly and let gravity help me as I removed the innards. All the regular tasks apply; cut around the anus & tie it off with some string, take care not to cut the initial cut beyond skin-deep so the stomach ~ intestines aren't ruptured / I split it right up the entire belly & chest all the way to the throat / pull out everything (saving the heart in a plastic bag) / cut the wind pipe as highs I can get and then spreading the cleaned out carcass to cool the body a quickly as I can. Sounds tougher than it is. Just don't leave out any steps. Have fun.

butt out is a nice tool to have.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

USMC 77, USRA 79

To the Original Poster...

You need a Hunting buddy sir. Looks like there are a few in this thread that might be close enough. Perhaps one of them can go with you to this accessible land you speak of? Having the moral support and help on your first deer is priceless. The relationships that follow the bonding experience is even more so. I pray somebody nearby from this group will jump on this for ya. It seems like no big deal to many who have taken many many deer for a long time, but it is a big deal to somebody that has never done it. Your first real kill is important. Shouldn’t be alone. If you were anywhere near Alaska, it would be my honor to take you..

Marko

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    Kay County, 15 minutes from Kansas Border.
    There are some pretty good sized deer in that area. I'm grew up in Tonkawa. Haven't hunted up that way in over 40 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast