Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sarco barrel blank quality

Jedman, Never submitted the insurance claim on the first two blanks, so I've got three more to turn into something. The barrel as in post #18 was just over 22" if measured with a cleaning rod. Made the sizer die from the last few inches of the muzzle, and cut the rest off to leave a 16.5" barrel. Likely make a taper crimp die from the other piece of barrel. The cartridge is the 6.8SPC case necked up to take a .375" bullet. Used one of the expander stems for 357AR to expand the necks up to .357" then made another expander to bring them up to over .375" and then sized back down to have good neck tension on a bullet. Case length usually comes out around 1.645" so the Go gauge for this one is 1.650" and is set snug to it. Water capacity came in at 39.2gr so for load data I've been using QuickLoad, selecting 375 super and changing the name, case length, max PSI and water capacity and then saving it as a new file. Do the same thing for other wildcats and it has worked out well for me. Their is a brief thread on it in the case forming section. Just a post hunting season project that would result in a legal to use in my DNR zone rifle. Most of the deer we get are taken at less than 100yds but even though it's not a barn burner it should work fine out to at least 200yds.

Jedman,

I bought a .375 barrel blank from Sarco. My Gunsmith pushed his bore scope through it and he said it looked like it would be ok.

I had him fit the barrel to a BSA (Herters U9) and chambered it for the .375 Rimless Nitro Express. I set my rifle up as a "Retro" of the 1960 era rifle it is. I found the correct scope mounts (basically modified Weavers) and a old El Paso 4 Power Weaver Scope with a crosshair and post.

My gunsmith had to draw file the barrel to smooth it out. He described it as a tough barrel.

I have been working up loads. My best groups so far has been 1 1/2 to 2 inches at a 100 yards. With the post in the scope that very well might be the best I'll get.

The bottom line with this barrel is it is working for me and I'm going to buy another one before there are gone.

CA Dude

Thanks ! I no longer need the 375 barrel but might buy one in .312 for another project.

Jedman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12