Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: I'm negligent

Boolit Master

I'm negligent

some how today I managed to lose the set screw from my Mp mould. You know the tiny little black one that anchors the sprue plate screw which without immediately starts to loosen with each swing of the sprue plate. Does anyone know what size is ? Maybe I could get them at Acklands Grainger, if I could tell them size and thread pitch (should probably get a box full with my luck). Can some one help me?

Banned
    I don't know the size of the set screw but two solutions come to mind:
    1. Just take the entire mold to the hardware store and find the one that fits.
    OR
    2. find a screw that fits the hole and thread type, then take that screw to the hardware store and find the set screw that matches the thread pitch and size.

Boolit Buddy
    Send Miha an email!
    👍🏼

Boolit Master
    I agree that Miha should be able to tell you. Being European, I'm sure it's metric (at least I found that the nuts take metric sockets).

Banned
    It's highly likely to be metric but metric set screws are available in the U.S.

Moderator Emeritus

In my area, all one needs do is take a ???? item to their closest Ace Hardware store (or, Tractor Supply on the remote chance Ace is out) and not only do both of these stores have boxes and boxes of metric machine screws, with the first simple challenge of picking the correct thread and diameter-size. The length and type of head may not be available -- we call these "grub screws". However, an email to MP should have a replacement screw headed your way in short order -- with the "almost" from local hardware working til the one from Miha gets to you. The one from local store can then be stored as a spare. As a note, I always insert one small piece of shot in front of the grub screw; it enables it doing its job in preventing the spru-screw from moving -- without harming its threads.
    geo

Banned
    On a bullet mold that gets hot, I prefer to use a small piece of brass instead of a piece of lead shot to protect the threads of the screw being locked.

A small piece of brazing rod or a small section cut off another smaller brass screw makes a good donor. I've also used a short section of solid copper wire but that can be too soft in some situations.

On things that don't get hot, a piece of lead shot works beautifully.

Boolit Master
    Problem is most of these big box stores have a very limited selection of set screws, especially metric.
    I would start by taking the mold to a store that has the hardware bins and then try any type of screw until you find the size then look for that size and length in a set screw. My guess is it will be a fine thread metric.