Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new twist on telemarketers

Boolit Master

new twist on telemarketers

Lately I've been getting calls from what I believe are telemarketers. The problem is they're speaking in what I think is Chinese. How do you mess with someone who doesn't speak English? One time I waited until it sounded like they wanted me to Dial 1 to speak with someone, and I dialed 1 and a live person greeted me. I put in my order - "one from column A, one from column B" and they hung up.
    Now I just keep my phone off.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I have gotten those too. Usually a voice message that is in some Asian language. I'm not sure what they are selling, but it must really be a long shot hoping to find both a person who is interested in their product and who also speaks that language.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Banned
    I spent many years in Asia, so anytime I get a phone call from a number I don't recognize I answer in Thai.

Surprising how many times they hang up on my

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I had one yesterday and I could hardly understand the guy - something about solar power for the house and wanting me to pay them $100 in order to see if I qualified - asked him where he was calling from and he gave me the company name - I repeated myself and then said what country are you calling from . . the answer PAKISTAN. I told him I only speak the "King's English" and then when I did. he evidently didn't
    t wamt t talk anymore . . but to before he told me what I could do to myself? Oh golly gee . . . I am feeling so bad that he didn't want to talk to me anymore . . .

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I just tell them they want my brother and set the phone down until i hear the beep beep then hang up. They waste enough of my time i waste as much of theres as i can. My wife usually answers as if she's confused and keeps asking i won what did i win.

Boolit Master

My wife told me today that in the future she is going to proselytize all the calls we get with a number we don't know. She is going to keep on talking even if the salesperson tries to sell something. I think this a great Idea.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Those air horn things you get for the boat are fun too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I heard somewhere that the robocalls in Chinese or Spanish are typically scams aimed at people here from those countries. They claim to be from consulates or some such, demanding money in return for immigration help, something along those lines.

If they dial ten thousand numbers, they’re bound to find someone with suitable troubles who will fall for it. Pretty sleazy.

Boolit Master

some one told me that if you get spam or telemarketing from china to use phrases like" teinamin square rally" or some other politico phase and the government bot censors will shut down the persons internet. only works if they are in china.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    If it's someone that needs to tell me something I'll wait for a voicemail. I don't answer numbers that I don't recognize.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I got a call that from someone that I did not recognize so I answered in Tex-Mex Spanish "me no habla Englais" and then I hung up. Later I got several calls from recruiters wanting to hire an engineer that speaks Spanish.
    EDG

Years ago, I got a answering machine in a pawn shop that already had a great out going message already on it.

It was some big husky sounding brother saying:
    "Ahhhh,,, Dis be da Jones res-e-dence. We not heah ride now...……..
    (Pause for the sound of yelling and beating a couple of little kids) Leave yo name an numma, an we call you ride back".

Nobody ever left a message or called back that didn't know me.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 03-29-2019 at 01:51 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I sent Marriot Hotels a $50 penalty bill today, doubled because I have requested to be placed on their do not call list. Tonight when I got home I had an email with a file number for the case.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Buddy

My daughter put an app in my iPhone. It is called Hiya. Since it has been on my phone my bogus calls are down to one every two three days. Many times it will interfere with a bogus call without letting me know. Ordinarily, it will message me when it has what thinks is bogus.

It is not 100% but is acceptable to my needs... I have not caught it interfering with a legitimate call.

Boolit Grand Master
    I sometimes play the "hello, hello, hello. Is anyone there????"
    They hang up.
    My friend starts talking German to them.

Boolit Master
    I checked into the Hiya app and I might give it a try. I just have to find a 5 yr old to help me install it (I'm tech challenged).

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I get a dozen or so every day press the number to be taken off list i think that just sends your number to 10 more. I have gotten to the point that i use these calls as high entertainment. I try to keep them on the line as long as possible. Told one to hold on i would get my brother after about 5 minutes he hung up then called back and said he didn't appreciate that. I responded with i didn't ether i went all the way out to the back field and by the time we got back he hung up if he wanted to talk to him i would go get him again if he wouldn't hang up he held on almost 20 minutes.

Boolit Grand Master

I have noticed the telemarketers here now when you start to ask to be placed on do not call lost hang up before you finish. I to tie up their time as much as possible and drag it out as much as possible my record is 20 mins LOL.
    The one that really irks me is when I answer the phone and am obviously on hop while the telemarketer finishes up. They call me and then put me on hold to wait for them. That person is way behind the 8ball starting out at that point

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I sometimes play the "hello, hello, hello. Is anyone there????"
    They hang up.
    My friend starts talking German to them.
    LOL, I tell them "Sprechen Sie Deutsch?" works every time.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Vendor Sponsor

Hiya does work for us .. I was getting numerous calls a day now Hiya intercepts them. sometimes it will ring 2 to 3 times then gets intercepted .. so I don't answer till 5 th ring or IF I recognize the number
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast