Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading PBcastco
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Boolit Master
    I've had alligator, turtle, squid, which I prefer deep fried, octopus, snails on a cruise ship once along with I can't remember. The menu said " Didja ever want to try but we're just afraid to eat" so I had to. Rattlesnake wasn't so great, shark was good. Raw cochinas (?) The little colored clams on the beach.. very sweet and nutty. Oysters, clams, a piece of raw crappie once, C-rats and MRE's. And some things that cannot be mentioned......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    1. kangaroo when in Australia, I think it was back strap. should have ask it to be cooked with a bit of butter, salt and pepper. Did not get a true taste because of the sauce they cooked it in. Not bad.

2. When I Thailand I ate grass hoppers not bad the front half was like popcorn in texture but the back half kind soft mussy yuck. A local told how they get the grasshopper after rice field is crop dusted they go pick them up. oops.

3. Whale while in Japan to me it was like mutton.

4. Natto is a Japanese food made from fermented soybeans. As I remember it you mix the natto with rice raw egg and some soy sauce. I have no taste for raw eggs but not to bad with rice and soy sauce.

4. Who knows while in the Philippines the street vender would sell meat on a stick that was called monkey meat. The vender would tell you it was chicken, pork or beef. A shipmate who grew up in Subic Bay told me that it was what ever he could catch. I always enjoyed the food from the street venders always good.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Black birds, either shush-k-bob or in pot pie are good

Jack Rabbits not so good, and have BOILS, YUK!!

Mike
    Nice clean jackrabbit marinated in teriyaki and barbecued is about the closest to beef of anything I have eaten. Very lean though.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

It wasn't me, but my dad. He grew up on a farm in NE Oklahoma, south of Tulsa. On weekends he would walk into Glenpool, which was a few miles away, but would get home late at night hungry. One night he got back home, and looked to see what was in the oven. There was a critter of some description that was roasted, and looked pretty good; he thought maybe rabbit. He tore off a leg and ate it. Next morning he found out his mom had been rendering a skunk down for it's fat, which they used for some type of medicine.

You never know with dad if it was just a tall tale, but it's such a good story I had to repeat it.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

I eat crow several times after getting my foot out of my mouth.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I eat crow several times after getting my foot out of my mouth.
    Boy me tooooo!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Up in the mountain villages I visit weekly they have a simple rule, "if it dies they eat it".
    So I guess I have had cat once (not so good), dog numerous times (good), guinee pigs (cuyi), and all the other farm animals. BBQ donkey is great.
    Plus scorpions raw. The grey ones down here have no flavor. Cut off the stinger, hold it by the tail and start chewing as you lower it into your mouth. You for sure want to be chewing before those pinchers get to your tongue.
    I do not eat the spiders though. The kids do but not me.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Beaver chili.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9BCDC190-0B6C-4900-A534-AA9ABB53E071.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	238932
    I have tried many things but have my limitations

Boolit Master

I really like broccoli and brussels sprouts too.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Beaver chili.
    There ya go. Save a tree. Eat a beaver! It's not too bad unless it's been dining on pine trees.

I don't see owl listed here, Yes, I've eaten it... Tasted kinda like turkey. It was a looong time ago and I think the statute of limitations is up.

"I really like broccoli and brussels sprouts too. " I do too but I think the worst thing I've ever eaten at Thanksgiving was when my sister cooked brussel's sprouts with a heavy dose of ginger.
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master
    Owl would be about like chicken hawk.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Just went to a game feed tonight and walked in the door. Gator gumbo was my favorite.

Boolit Master
    Wow, some of the things mentioned is Russian roulette! Want to see an interesting show, hunt down "Monsters Inside Me ",NEVER eat anything from fresh water raw, ever! Or you run a high risk of acquiring a fluke, amoeba, or worm you may not be able to pronounce the name of! That said.

Nearly anything once or twice, but cooked. Lots of frog legs, Lots of BBQ goat, rabbit (tame and wild), squirrels, turtles (a favorite), Lots of yellow carp, buffalo fish, and jumping carp, ducks and geese, gar fish, love crawfish, beaver, muskrat, raccoons. There are secrets to prep most of these, like if you don't remove the glands from a coon before cooking it, it will taste like a wet dog smells! There's glands under a squirrels front legs that, when removed, make them taste better as well. The worst thing I've ever put in my mouth animal wise, was a huge fresh water drum!

I guess the strangest I eat on a regular basis is kombucha, and Vegemite, yum yum!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I forgot my younger days. The local pub use to put live minnows in beer. I broke the record on the most taps one night with swallowing a live minnow in it. Think it was 33 if I remember correctly. I’ve have since given up both drinking and consuming minnows.

I’ve had bbq coon when I was a kid and crock potted a crow last year. Lava worms, batterfried gar, fried crickets and grasshoppers, scorpion suckers, and swallowed a few worms,minnows, and bugs on a dare. I’m sure I’ve ate a few other nasty things I’ve forgot about...and you wonder why I’m still single. I can still remember drinking all day after bear hunting and going back to camp drunk as a skunk. Me and my buddy grabbed the ribs that had been laying in the ground since cut out of a blackie that morning. We brushed off a few fly eggs, washed them, and threw em on the grille. I had horrible farts that night and some loooooose stools ...and my buddy...he got food poisoning. The dumb stuff we do...and you wonder why I don’t drink anymore.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-03-2019 at 11:42 PM.

Boolit Mold

I was raised by grandparents who were farm kids during the Depression & there wasn't much that was off-limits for the dinner table. Frog legs & fresh morels were always a favorite & we caught tons of mudbugs seining the creek for bait for our bank lines. Tons of catfish caught in our ponds & both squirrel & rabbit were regularly on the menu.

Uncle's Rod & Gun Club always put on a wild game feed every year between Thanksgiving & Christmas. Raccoon was always a favorite, along with bear & pheasant.

Also eaten snapping turtle, rattlesnake, alligator, ostrich & emu. Gazelle & stir-fried grasshoppers in Africa. Would like to have sampled more of them African critters. Never tried mountain lion, bobcat or groundhog, though they're on the list should the opportunity arise.

Not positive I've eaten dog, but Tijuana had a suspicious lack of stray dogs & those street vendor tacos were absolutely delicious. Wouldn't mind trying horse, but most here in the US freak out at the thought of cookin' up Trigger. Not many critters I won't try, though opossum & armadillo are off the list- too ugly & I'm just not interested in contracting Mycobacterium leprae.
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

Moderator Emeritus

Carl, Horse is dark, rich and stringy. I compare it to Antelope as the muscle groups have similar fibers. I guess I never considered it strange to eat it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

According to my great uncle, who ate anything he could get out of the woods, you don't eat possum straight out of the woods. He would agitate them till they "sulled up" place a stick in their mouth, and tie it shut. Carry them back home and feed them corn for 30 days before slaughter to "clean them out". I saw him do it. I never got the chance to try one. That was in the '60's. I had jackrabbit one time when one of my party collected one while pheasant hunting in SD. Cooked in a crock pot all night, NASTY! Dark, almost black meat, very strong taste and mushy texture. I see why they aren't listed as a game animal.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm surprised it took 4 pages for someone to say they have eaten beaver, lol. While a chicken isn't strange or exotic, I did take my chances eating an Iraqi chicken in 2003. You wouldn't believe how good it was after eating MREs for about 40 straight days.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Yuppers. We used to get the “chicken legs“ that looked just like the rabbit legs on steroids. Never anything but legs. Dog tastes like a cross between turkey and dark chicken meat.
    Loved the teriyaki monkey as well.
    Barbecued rats in the Philippines, tastes like beef. Shark—fishy, rattlesnake—white chicken. Tried crow, but the big cyst in the leg put me off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was a dog farm just south of osan air Base in Korea between that and the kimchi I decided not to eat off base just no telling what they will feed you

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast