Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Cat. I have a friend who says Cougar is the best venison he's ever eaten. Also, when we lived in Alaska King Mountain Lodge had a wild game feed every winter. A favorite was Lynx. Most of the meat was supplied by trappers. I have also eaten Porcupine in a stew. Very fatty but good if the bulk of the fat is boiled off.

Sheep balls, bland and spongey.

Boolit Buddy
    Coon, ground hog, turtle, frog legs - just to name a few. This country boy can survive, but possum will not be on the menu.

Boolit Grand Master

What no crow or buzzard ?
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

My Grandma Erickson would be sad but I gotta say, her lutefisk. She was a master at lefse though.

My in law sort of ran the pizza booth at the knob creek machine gun shoot. Her son brought in a giant bear haunch. They got.it.to fit in a monster grill and began cooking it early morning. By seven or so the aroma was breathtaking. My seven year old daughter came and five year old cousin brought her over and asked if she knew what was in the grill which was smoking all the way around the lid. Slowly she lifted the lid and they both looked and said Winnie the Poo. My daughter didn't blink an eye. Does he taste good? About eight people showed up for a try which turned into a meal. Best I ever tasted out of a grill

Boolit Buddy
    When I lived in Alaska I visited friends in Noatak. There I tried stinky flipper - fermented walrus foot. Slathered in seal oil it wasn’t.....terrible, but if I have to eat stink meat I prefer muktuk. 😝

Boolit Master
    I have had armadillo and gator, Florida specialties. Anyone eat puff balls or wood sorrel? If things get tough I will be going after the local Nutria.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Fruit bat in the South Pacific, and lots of raw fish, fish head soup...

Cuy in Ecuador, not a favorite of mine...

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I have had armadillo and gator, Florida specialties. Anyone eat puff balls or wood sorrel? If things get tough I will be going after the local Nutria.

Tim
    Don't wait for hard times, dude. Those jokers are TASTY.
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

Boolit Master

I've eaten mountain Oysters, Turkey fries, and other things. The one thing I will always remember was stingray wings, barbecued. Dad and friends would go seining in the Gulf back when it was legal. 1950's. Sometimes they would come back with a bunch. Dad brought home 2 35 gallon trashcans with 2 stingrays about 3+ feet across. He knew a barbecue place that would barbecue your meat for so much a lb. We had it for supper. Next day, at school, 3rd grade, doing fine. Teacher ran out of stuff to do, just before lunch. Brilliant idea! We had to give impromptu speech on what we had for supper the night before. I gave mine, got called down, threatened with all sorts of things. Told her, "That's what we had." She said she would call my mother at lunch, if I was lying, bad stuff to follow. Never heard another word. After school, Mom asked why Mrs. Mcdonald called and asked what we had for supper the nite before. Told her the story, she laughed till she cried.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned
    spent a lot of time in Asia, grew up eating stuff that would make a goat puke. Have eaten calf balls right of the branding heater, head cheese, blood pudding, dog, monkey, snake, worms, bugs, bats, bird spittle and more intestines that I care to think about. can't decide on what is weird

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    . Anyone eat puff balls or wood sorrel?
    Tim
    I love puffballs fried in butter. If they are white inside and moist, they are just right. If not white inside, don't eat them, different species and poisonous.

I like ground hog, too. My Airedale loves to dig them out and kill them.

I took a trip to Vietnam a few years ago to ride motorcycles from Hanoi to Ho Chi Mihn City and ate a lot of "different" things on that trip. I didn't ask what the mystery meat was very often.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Nutria's,Red meat kinda dry but okay in a gumbo

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah I’m not a fan of possum either, but I use to eat coon like crazy when I hunted with the hounds, some BBQ sauce and some veggies in a crock pot was amazing!

I’ve also eaten dog, cat, ground squirrel,minnows crawdads, frog eggs, ant larva, crickets(in tacos)grasshoppers, a woodpecker (shotone with a BB gun when I was a boy and was the rule) eel, squid, sea cucumber, turtles, frogs, fish eyes, just about everything. I’m not picky I just don’t like tomatoes and chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Coon, ground hog, turtle, frog legs - just to name a few. This country boy can survive, but possum will not be on the menu.

Boolit Master

I am going to have to admit, some of my first wife's cooking. That was not a contributing factor in the demise of the marriage, but she could have used some cooking lessons on some things. She still gets points for the first Thanksgiving dinner we shared, but never learned to properly fry chicken, she was from the east coast and my kin from Oklahoma and Texas. My grandma did the best southern fried rattlesnake over a Coleman stove I ever ate.

My cousin wanted biscuits to go with the snake so he popped a can of biscuits and pan fried them. His dad was from Louisiana and that's what they did sometimes. They were good, but I preferred making scratch biscuits and baked them in a Dutch Oven by the campfire. The mother of the lady I was dating at the time said 'marry that boy.' She was a nice lady, but she had the nerve to ask 'where did you find the Bisquick?' Sacrilege I say! I have used it, but that was before I learned to make biscuits with sourdough starter. I told her, 'nope, scratch' and so she wanted the recipe.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Fcvan, i would like the recipe for sourdough biscuits. Did you bring the starter camping?

Sig sig and bolut are the two weirdest things i have eaten that i know about. I am culinarily adventurous, and i dont always ask what kind of meat i am eating
    Last edited by Milsurp Junkie; 01-10-2021 at 08:46 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Nothing exotic here, snapping turtle my uncle and dad cooked up back in the 60's, canned smoked oysters and that's about the extent...except for all the deer I've eaten..

Boolit Master

Fcvan, i would like the recipe for sourdough biscuits. Did you bring the starter camping?

Yes, I brought some starter with, in a mason jar, in case kids wanted pancakes and I knew I was making biscuits.

Simple recipe, small packet of dry yeast per instructions, equal parts unbleached flour and water (1/4 cup for me), room temperature, check every day. The last time I had to do a re-start, it blew up in 2 hours.

I generally keep mine in the fridge and check it every week. Bring starter to room temp, pull half your starter and and add back a a similar amount of flour and water to your starter and to your intended product, such as biscuits, and wait for a reaction. Some folks don't bake much bread, but do make pancakes and waffles, cornbread and biscuits.

Sure, some folks also use baking powder, some Bisquick, I like the tangy sourdough flavor the starter adds. Come to think of it, I need to make the grand kids some Papa Waffles, 4 of my 7 grand kids live within a mile. Ise your basic biscuit recipe with the starter. I don't have Great Grandma's cook book but was handed down her poorly spelled but hand written recipe. She was born in 1888 in Oklahoma, parents were sooners. My parents were dustbowl kids as their parents left TX and OK. Yup, they went to Central Valley, CA.

As a historical note, wheat was ground by hand, and the natural yeasts in the air weren't ruined by commercial processing. Several thousand years ago, a large number of people had to move out before their bread could rise naturally and could not maintain their starter. Once a year, those people celebrate a remembrance by eating unleavened bread, I think you know the story.

As an interesting note, San Francisco Sourdough bread became famous because of it's flavor. Back in the day, local wheat with local natural yeast from the air, old style mill stone grinding. Voila! Anyway, I went to lunch in SF with a US Attorney as I was there for a Deposition and he was assigned to my case. For lunch, we went to a large chain store type famous for it's bread. I chuckled when I read a sign on the door 'San Francisco Style Sourdough Bread.' I commented 'this must be the only place that can claim authentic SF Sourdough. He then chuckled and said, 'Frank, it's baked in Oakland.'
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-11-2021 at 02:49 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Ate some beaver once, wasn't bad......

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast