Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

I love Lengua, Tripas, Menudo, and all kinds of organ based dishes. I would eat chicken feet without blinking. I don’t consider it strange but I had barbecued goat at our family reunion just hours ago in the upper hill country. I also love Polk salad( boiled twice to kill the toxin) simmered with pork belly. Mom used to can Carp and Buffalo and made “salmon” patties- they were good enough for 5 hungry kids!

Boolit Master
    All sounds like regular food to me. I love Polk salad too, with eggs,, yum!I do remember learning , when I went to college, that I ate “soul food”. And all along I just never even thought about it. Speaking of strange food, I I tried tofu once, Yuck , that stuff ain’t food!

Funny think, my 25 year old son is “friends” with a girl that eats the same as me! Sushi, tripe, anchovies and likes hot stuff too. Shoot, even if they don’t hit it off my daughter and I found a drinking/eating buddy!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAMEL.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	245513 Had a camel burger today and it was pretty tasty. I think if you didn't know what it was that you wouldn't notice it wasn't beef.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post

Think of what it stepping in...I didn’t make this. Found the pic elsewhere.
    How can that possibly be any different than ham hocks?

Are Camel burgers the special on Wednesday??(rimshot)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    When I was growing up my dad and uncles used to chain-smoke Camels but we never ate them.

HollowPoint

While stationed in Panama I had Capybara, Agouti,Paca,Tapeti,Howler monkey, iguana, a big Boa we caught because we got tired of C-rats ands things I can't remember the names of. The locals hunted these critters smoked/cooked which was done on the spot with improvised smokers. Good eating. Funny thing is they wanted the C-Rats in trade. In S Korea I was served a piping hot bowl of soup and dug in. The soup was good, the meat in it was ok and then my spoon came up and hanging off of it was a huge hunk skin. I looked at it and realized that was dog skin. This was in the early 1980's before they hosted the Olympics. I didn't finish my soup.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Dog soup? That sounds ruff!
    Ok, I quit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Lmao.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Had a boy that "ran away" from the boys ranch one time about 20 miles South along the Rio Grande and found a man baling some alfalfa hay and offered to help him. Okay this went on about a week until one evening as they were eating supper the boy asked the man what was the meat they were eating. The man answered " wuff - wuff. " and grinned. The boy came back to the ranch next day.

My hometown is called Gonzalez Catan, it is approximately 30 kms from downtown Buenos Aires. There is a restaurant where the owner takes his game meat and offers it to the diners. You can eat ñandú, wild boar etc ... if anyone wants to use the translator, I leave a note of the newspaper

https://www.clarin.com/zonales/bodeg...CmTsRv8x9.html

Even though I like to hunt and eat, I never went, hahahaha
    I'm going to have to go with some friend

I do not know if in the USA they eat the intestine of the cows, today I cooked in the BBQ three kilos for my friends of the range

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BPSharps View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAMEL.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	245513 Had a camel burger today and it was pretty tasty. I think if you didn't know what it was that you wouldn't notice it wasn't beef.
    I had camel shoulder once... slow smoked like pork shoulder. Fatty, and reminded me of a cross between lamb/goat & pork. Tasted fine!!

Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    My hometown is called Gonzalez Catan, it is approximately 30 kms from downtown Buenos Aires. There is a restaurant where the owner takes his game meat and offers it to the diners. You can eat ñandú, wild boar etc ... if anyone wants to use the translator, I leave a note of the newspaper

https://www.clarin.com/zonales/bodeg...CmTsRv8x9.html

Even though I like to hunt and eat, I never went, hahahaha
    I'm going to have to go with some friend

I do not know if in the USA they eat the intestine of the cows, today I cooked in the BBQ three kilos for my friends of the range
    In the USA they use the intestine of pigs to stuff for all things from hotdogs to sausages and what have you. I do not about cow. The only reason I know about pig is you can buy the cases to make your own product also have work in a meat packing house as maintenance and seen that you lucky any part of that hog be trash and seen about salt the cases (intestines) after was clean and wash. to be ship after.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Forgot when I was a kid I’d always get cool treats from Santa in my stocking...fried lava worms, fried grasshoppers, fried crickets, chocolate covered ants, and scorpion suckers...I ate them all.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    When I was growing up my dad and uncles used to chain-smoke Camels but we never ate them.

HollowPoint
    A recent survey has shown that in excess of 90% of the men that have tried Camels, went back to women...…....

Boolit Grand Master

A great big can of Libby's
    ( remember the song... "If it says Libby's, Libby's , Libby's on the label, label , label you will like it , like it , like it on your table, table , table " ? )

Libby's Potted Meat Food Product and a sleeve of Saltine Crackers ....
    Might be better than Spam Spread (Potted Spam) !

Gary'
    Cajuns eat anything...and like it !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    My hometown is called Gonzalez Catan, it is approximately 30 kms from downtown Buenos Aires.

They do not grill the middle intestine layer like you get at an asado. We claim to not eat mondongo either but I suspect both of those make up much of cheaper hot dogs.

For the uninitiated, you turn the intestine inside out, rinse heavily, soak the outer layer off with lye then invert it and clean off that layer. In North America that is used as casing, the Argentine way leaves the muscle and some fat on it and it's grilled. With Salsaparilla it is good stuff.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Sounds like something I need to try! We have chitterlings around here, that would be small intestines of a hog. Excellent fried, I don’t much care for them boiled. SWMBO does not allow cooking them in (near) the house, and most recipes include beer. Beer is for the chef
    Last edited by rking22; 07-28-2019 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Phone fingers
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    When you froze it did you put water in the bag with the fish. It helps with keep the fish like as you caught it. I do it with all the fish I catch and then freeze. I had try Creek Chugs and it was like eating bluegills or yellow perch. I have had eel in the past . I ate some dogfish last year it was more like catfish to me ,we fried it in the frying pan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    It was froze in a Solid block of ice
    I thawed and cooked 5 pounds of 10-15 count shrimp today that had been in the freezer for at least 2 years. It was commercially packed in a heavy plastic bag and frozen completely encased in ice. There was no hint of freezer burn and the taste was no different from fresh shrimp. Since we're relocating to the Houston area in the coming weeks there will be no need to keep seafood stored for any length of time in the future.

There was this taco stand in Carlsbad, NM. My grandmother wouldn't eat tacos from any place but this one taco stand. The tacos were good but they had to close after the health department found cats in the fridge. No telling how many I ate.

I lived in South Louisiana for about 8 years so turtle soup (popular at better restaurants), boudain and gator were standard fare. Courtbouillon (pronounced coo-be-yahn) can have anything found in the swamp or ocean that day so no telling what you're eating but it's always good. Stingray is sometimes sold in 'economy" restaurants as scallops but it has a gritty texture. The taste is pretty well the same as real scallops. Not bad but I prefer the real deal.

A Vietnamese lady at the marina where I kept my boat in Oxnard, CA was an awesome chef but I have to give her the nod for the strangest food I've eaten. She stuffed squid mantles with a mixture of rice and seafood. It was hard to get past the fins at the front of the mantle and the rubbery texture. I love a good calamari salad but this had no resemblance to calamari. The texture was more like rice stuffed inner tubes.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Dry tropics of Australia. Where crocs and Barra rule!
    Being a fan of trying whatever is on offer......
    had Scorpions, Kangaroo, Snake, Camel, Goat, Donkey, Horse, assorted grubs and insects (which tasted Ok except for the water beetles), lizard (tasted like crackling), frog, snails of varying sorts, sea cucumber and a bunch of molluscs I didn't recognize.
    Various unusual ice cream like millet, egg, cherry blossom and wasabi.....
    Turtle, sea urchin, crocodile, emu, chicken feet, eel, embryonic eggs, quail, pigeon and....
    whole Squid & octopus (except the beak), mantis, Water Buffalo..........
    probably elephant. Lots of circumstantial but not sure on that one.
    Kids stopped me at dog and whale
    Last edited by LawrenceA; 08-04-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast