Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for a Buffalo Hunt?

Boolit Bub

Anyone for a Buffalo Hunt?

The National Park Service is taking applications for shooters for a herd reduction in the Grand Canyon.
    https://go.nps.gov/gcb

(Mods if this link is not allowed please remove it or delete this post)

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Sounds interesting, not to mention fun !!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Expect 10,000 applicants. Buffalo is actually pretty good eats, a buddy took one in a depredation hunt ten years ago and it made great roasts. As an Arizonan I will apply too!

I read about this today, man what an awesome opportunity. I prefer buffalo to beef. We buy it quite often at a local butcher shop.

Sounds like some tough loops to jump through to get in the running for a tag. Good luck to all who go for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Read thru the rules and looks like using a Sharps is out of the question. Bottleneck cartridges only and lead free ammo. Bummer

What a shame, an old time hunt would be called for in my opinion, but it sounds like fun anyway. Good luck to all who apply!

Boolit Master

Wonder how much a background check costs ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Kind of strange why not have a drawing and sale tags ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    Kind of strange why not have a drawing and sale tags ?
    Because "BeeflessBiden" is involved?
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Send in LaPierre , I see that he's a crack shot, But his wife is even better.

Boolit Master
    At the suggestion of ND Senator Byron Dorgan, a culling at Theodore Roosevelt National Park was held some years ago. The lottery was nation-wide, because it's a National Park. There were only a few "outfitters" allowed to help the hunter retrieve the carcass with horses.

Boolit Master
    If there is a way for the NPS to make it an unpleasant experience, the NPS "brown shirts" will find it. There was a similar hunt for mountain goats in Olympic National Park last year and it wasn't much fun and not very successful with all the restrictions. I have heard that this year, the NPS will just fly in with helo's and machine gun the critters which is their usual MO.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Read thru the rules and looks like using a Sharps is out of the question. Bottleneck cartridges only and lead free ammo. Bummer
    I would like to do it with my 1863 Springfield, but my 375 H&H Mag and a barns bullet would still be a good time, to Bad for me I can not do it this year.

Boolit Man
    From what I have read the herd animals are not pure bison, but remnants of a beefalo herd from around 100 years ago that have since migrated into the park. We can assume the "hunt" will be very structured and regulated with NPS personnel directing which animals will be culled. We can also assume there will be some sort of protests involved as some citizens don't understand the impact feral animals have on the environment and some are already complaining. It may also be costly as some areas are designated federal wilderness so no mechanized vehicles can be used. In the past when the hunts were allowed just outside the park, outfitters that could process and pack out the bison on pack animals had to be contracted with. With all the variables and hurdles, this is a bridge too far for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder if Nedra's still has that awesome Salsa.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

There are those in Govt. that feel I shouldn't need to produce an ID to vote. But now these rocket surgeons have found a way to justify charging me for a back ground check to hunt buff on my Federal land. What's next, a back ground check to buy a small game license? Combine that with all the other ridiculous red tape and it adds up to a big nope for me. This all came about because the animals are a problem. Why would anyone pay the fed for the privilege of providing them a service?
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    There are those in Govt. that feel I shouldn't need to produce an ID to vote. But now these rocket surgeons have found a way to justify charging me for a back ground check to hunt buff on my Federal land. What's next, a back ground check to buy a small game license? Combine that with all the other ridiculous red tape and it adds up to a big nope for me. This all came about because the animals are a problem. Why would anyone pay the fed for the privilege of providing them a service?
    Great way to put it , probably require double masking too!

Boolit Master

I don't feel I can, at this time, physically be able to participate, but it seems to me that the requirements are about right for a culling process, all except the BG check. I figure if you can produce a carry permit or other evidence that a BG check has been conducted it should be good enough. I have purchased a couple of weapons in the last few months, and also hold a classified clearance, the latter of which goes much more in depth than the NICS check, that should more than suffice. But, I don't feel one is required for something like this, it isn't like they are going to provide the weapons or make available some to purchase.
    As to the ID, I have absolutely no issue with this requirement, we need to insure more things like this (need to be a US citizen) need ID than less, and yes that definitely includes voting.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Too bad, ..... it's a bit far for me
    "When the homeland is in danger, everything is allowed, except not to defend it."

Gral. Don José de San Martin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast