RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I'm wondering how you southern folk like the pythons and other large snakes that have infested florida and other states.
    Not other states; just Florida where they complain about them while protecting them from hunters.
    Of course Alabama does the same with hogs on the WMAs, but once they wander off the WMA they get shot. Same thing would probably happen with a big old Burmese python.

Quote Originally Posted by Shingle View Post
    I'm in Louisiana kind of hard to define weird here if it swims, walks, crawls or flies it gets ate. It all seems normal after a while.
    Sound like what I eat and you right it is hard to define weird ,when it is something you normal eat.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    If you want to see just how big those snakes in Fl are,check out a series called"Guardians of the `Glades".The biggest one that he has caught so far is 17`6".
    In my home county in Fl,it seems like at least once a month there is a biggie gets sliced and diced my one of the county employees running one of the bush hogs.Oh yeah.A Python the size of the one he caught could run upwards of 200 lbs.They also have Anacondas too.And Boas too.Fun,fun,fun,Lotsa good eats there.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Probably couldn’t get one of those steaks in my iron! Rattle snake is good, glad they don’t get 200#!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

yes, rattlesnake is good, similar texture to fresh caught frog legs.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    I drank a glass bottled Coke from the 2001 Christmas set, last week, does this count?

Boolit Grand Master

I've eaten some odd stuff both in and out of the military. Everything from Iguana to live termites.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Lots and lots of Tabasco.....
    One of the first things you learn is to always carry a small bottle of Tobasco with you. Enough of that and even powdered eggs and fried spam tastes good
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Bull Nettle seeds are delicious. Picking them is tricky!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramson222 View Post
    I drank a glass bottled Coke from the 2001 Christmas set, last week, does this count?

Betcha it tasted like flat syrup.

I just got medieval on a couple carp yesterday with my spear. I'll be smoking them next week. I was going to try and be brave and pan fry some but I'm going to pass.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was stationed in Iceland with the US Air Force, I ate horse meat, sheep heads and whale meat. All were actually pretty good tasting.
    Jim

"The problem with quotes on the internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." - Thomas Jefferson 1803

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I just got medieval on a couple carp yesterday with my spear. I'll be smoking them next week. I was going to try and be brave and pan fry some but I'm going to pass.
    I eat smoke carp .I buy it at the fish market north of me. also I bake them also.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! some really weird stuff here. My wife grew up in Bolivia and she and her sisters would hunt wild guinea pigs with pellet guns. When they went to the jungle they ate lots of stuff that they had no idea what it was and probably would prefer to keep it that way.

I grew up in the suburbs of Philly, but my family had a farm up state. all I wanted to do was hunt and rule no 1 was if you kill it you eat it. So all the 'normal' stuff...venison, squirrel, rabbit and domestics to include the hearts, liver, gizzards and tongue. Groundhog was vermin, but ate that once. Snapping turtle from the pond. I can't believe no one else has mentioned it yet. Squab. I just called em barn pigeons. Grandma made em into a farm style pot pie like she did with the squirrels.

Hmmmm. Stingray. there are different types. Some are outstanding, almost like grouper. Some are more like rubber bands.

Boolit Grand Master

Long time ago.... Black Crowned Night Heron's and Robins were prepared . They are protected now .
    Crow , Pileated Woodpecker , Armadillo , Nutria , Coon , Alligator , Frogs , Turtle , Crawfish , Alligator Gar Fish . Have all made a tasty meal when prepared correctly ... even the crows !

In Louisiana if it flies , swims or runs it stands a good chance of being eaten. Cajun's can usually make anything taste good . We take good eating very seriously !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Quote Originally Posted by seetrout View Post
    Wow! some really weird stuff here. My wife grew up in Bolivia and she and her sisters would hunt wild guinea pigs with pellet guns. When they went to the jungle they ate lots of stuff that they had no idea what it was and probably would prefer to keep it that way.

I grew up in the suburbs of Philly, but my family had a farm up state. all I wanted to do was hunt and rule no 1 was if you kill it you eat it. So all the 'normal' stuff...venison, squirrel, rabbit and domestics to include the hearts, liver, gizzards and tongue. Groundhog was vermin, but ate that once. Snapping turtle from the pond. I can't believe no one else has mentioned it yet. Squab. I just called em barn pigeons. Grandma made em into a farm style pot pie like she did with the squirrels.

Hmmmm. Stingray. there are different types. Some are outstanding, almost like grouper. Some are more like rubber bands.
    I eat snapping turtle and forgot to write , also ate stingray also. and sand shark.

Boolit Grand Master

Mom would take sheep head and sort of fillet them getting most of those fine bones then run them thru a blender meat grinder and make fish patties. Between the grinder and cooking the remaining fine bones softened and could be ate. I have smoked carp, catfish, froglegs, crappie, white bass and the real delicacy was smoked bluegills.
    I have found with some fish there is a certain size that's better eating, bigger gets a stronger taste or tougher. Carp are one.

For all the sheephead also know as fresh water drum ,I get then fillet them they do not have the fine bone like white suckers or any of that rough fish It is normal fillets I found.

Boolit Buddy
    Oh yeah. When I little and my Grandpa was still dairy farming. Our neighbor from across the street who had been a teenager in France during WW2 came with us to the farm one time and wanted the steers brain and tail when we butchered a steer. Grandpa said too late I already head shot it with the .22.

Then she wanted quarts of raw milk...She put it in mason jars on the window sill and then drank it after it went bad.
    They didn't waste anything during the war.

I made smoked fish spread and noodle salad out the carp today! Good stuff. I also caught a pair of 12/15 lb snapping turtles since yesterday was our opener and am letting them sit in some fresh water for a few days until they crap out all the river slime and dead shad they’ve been eating off the bottom before I dress them. You know when the go...the water turns grey and you can’t see the turtles.lol...and it smells like dead shad. You should have seen the stuff they passed today, nasty! Batter fried turtle and turtle stew here I come! I use to catch and sell them in the 70’s and then I got a paper route and slowed down on them a little. My neighbors owned a bar and would make soup out of some of my turtles and give it out free as long as you were drinking.lol. I also made some picked bass and norther pike last week! Another week of picking and it’s good to go. Someone mentioned shark, I caught a 7’ mako a few years ago. I cut it up into steaks. Blacked mako is the bomb! I still have the jaws. I caught a 7’ sandbar shark and a couple of grey reef sharks along with a moray eel and some other fish off the shore in Maui a few years ago on a couple trips there but let all go. Guess most fish over there have some kind of poison on them that not curable if you eat it. Think it’s called ciguatera poisoning. Bad stuff from what I’ve read. I wasn’t taking a chance.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-16-2019 at 11:32 PM.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast