Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersPBcastco
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Seems several have eaten Guinea Foul. What is the strangest or just different animal (or not) that you have eaten. And give a review.

I'll start by saying that I've eaten Peacock. My neighbor had one in her yard so she put a little food out and after a couple of days after listening it's screams, she asked if I could remove it. I told her it would involve killing it she started to tense and I figured she was going to change her mind. I quickly added that I would eat the big bird.

I made a stir fry so I diced the breast meat in small cubes. It smelled good, taste not bad, but you couldn't chew it. It was like eating erasers. Out of respect I ate or should I say swallowed the portion I had dished up.

Coyote in the burn barrel was kinda strong. I was trying to move it to the top of the barrel to get more wood under it for cremation and a portion of the hind quarter ripped open. Seemed done. I suppose it taste like dog. Must be an acquired taste.

Before Y2K a friend BBQ'd a Felis Catus said it was the other white meat.

Boolit Master
    Maybe not really weird but I’ve eaten several rattlesnakes I’ve killed. Stir fried and BBQ’d as tacos. It tastes much like dry chicken to me. It’s good but it’s a lot of work with so many little rib bones.

A bit more bizarre, I ate a raw crawdad I caught. When I was in my 20’s I always wanted to be able to survive hostile environment sorta stuff, live off the land. So I figured it might be something I’d eat. Rubbery and nearly tasteless. I used a lighter to semi cook another. A little more chewy but still nearly tasteless. Drank the water they were in too. VERY minerally. It was spring water in granite. It was similar to when you were a kid and put your tongue on a 9 volt battery.

I’ve been a little curious about coyote, fox, wolf, bobcat, and mountain lion as my father was stationed in South Korea and Japan and ate dog and cat. Said it was good. Also been wanting to eat a porcupine as a survival show had a scene and they felt it was like pulled pork. Same thing with bear, which I’d try also. Raccoon? I draw the line at possum though. I hate them!

Boolit Master

I have eaten fox, loved it. In high school our bio teacher did a section on survival... if you ate it you got extra credit... so fried grasshoppers (very taste!), coon, possum (never again), cat (good) and crawfish (love them!). He drove a bus, most critters were fresh road kill. I cooked a ground hog once in the crock pot, reminded me of black bear, did not like it. I always tell my girls, if you shoot it... you must be willing to eat it! Oh, btw fresh earth worms are not bad if you don't look. Ate a big fuzzy spider that was making the oldest scream when she was about 5. Told her I could feel it walking around in me... she puked... was so funny!

My Grandfather used to say raccoon was delicacy. I've not had it though.
    Awhile back, I trapped one on the front porch that was eating all the cat's food.
    The wife said, "No, we're not going to eat it". So I relocated it.

I do fix carp once in awhile. Trim off everything that isn't white,
    pressure cook it a hour & half, and it reminds ya of canned salmon.
    Anyone that is repelled by their diet shouldn't ever eat catfish.
    They're attracted to the most foul mess you can imagine, and by comparison- carp are darn picky eaters.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Smoked carp with the mudline removed is excellent. Been to a couple of Powwow's that had racoon, dog and coyote. At wild game feeds had mountain lion and bobcat.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I went camping with a friend of mine and his 2 boys around 40 years ago.
    The boys had BB guns and we were on a large island on a river and they came back to camp with a bunch of birds they shot. Among them were a robin and a woodpecker ! He had told them not to shoot any birds other than English sparrows or black birds which there are plenty of.
    For punishment they were shown how to skin and gut the birds and they cooked the breasts on

a stick hanging over the campfire. Both of the kids ate them and actually enjoyed them I think.
    I know the both of them still now and both have families , both have 2 boys each also and there boys have heard the story many times.
    Even though they didn't feel much in the way of punishment from having to eat the birds I think they got the message.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=mattw;4611913]I have eaten fox, loved it. In high school our bio teacher did a section on survival... if you ate it you got extra credit... so fried grasshoppers (very taste!), coon, possum (never again), cat (good) and crawfish (love them!). He drove a bus, most critters were fresh road kill. I cooked a ground hog once in the crock pot, reminded me of black bear, did not like it. I always tell my girls, if you shoot it... you must be willing to eat it! Oh, btw fresh earth worms are not bad if you don't look. Ate a big fuzzy spider that was making the oldest scream when she was about 5. Told her I could feel it walking around in me... she puked... was so funny![/QUOTE

Never had any groundhog, but my father swears young groundhog is fine eating.

Boolit Buddy
    I showed up to our deer lease late one Fri night. The guys told me they had kept dinner warm for me. I opened the oven to find a hollowed out baked armadillo. Closed the oven and went to bed.
    I've had grilled raccoon and was really surprised how good it was.

Boolit Master
    Out of all the game things I’ve eaten possum is at the top of the list for the worst! Never again! Texture wise, emu wasn’t bad but the flavor not so good. I’d rather eat a sneaker. Rattle snake, gator, muskrat, mighty tasty.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I've eaten a couple copperheads. First one I roasted over a fire and ate plane and then on bread with mayo. Other I cooked the same way and had as pulled pork. It was rubbery left over but was pretty good when fresh. One of them, after I skinned it gutted and washed it, I put it in a ziploc bag. We were at moms house. I look over to the counter and it was writhing around in the bag!

I've had black bear and it as real good. It was like a course beef. I'd love to live in bear country where I could take one every year.

Ive had turtle sausage and it was good. I've heard several people say mountain lion was the king if wild game. We got bobcats here but I've not hunted or trapped them yet.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 03-28-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Woodchuck is not bad. Have cooked 3 or 4 of them. I usually freeze them for a later date, but one day, I shot one and it went right into the pot.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    have eaten racoon possum water moccasin.i grew up poor and my mother could make a meal out of pretty much anything pretty darn tasty to. I also used to eat at Vietnamese restaurants so there really is no telling.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I also used to eat at Vietnamese restaurants so there really is no telling.
    On Okinawa, we called that 'mystery meat'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Termites and Meal Worms are mighty good raw or toasted. Tastes like creamy pistachio nuts. Grass hoppers with added crunch.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve eaten lynx and it is quite good. It’s the only furbearer I trapped that I ever attempted to eat. Nice white meat. Always cooked it in cubes with onions salt and pepper and a little flour to make a sauce. My dogs wouldn’t even eat marten carcasses.

Boolit Master
    Snake I suppose, grilled over a fire. Can’t get into the insects.

Pickled (i think) squid and octopus at a restaurant in Venice.

BB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Pickled (i think) squid and octopus at a restaurant in Venice.

BB
    It’s called pulpo. Use to get pulpo salad all the time from a seafood market on Long Island. Along with eel, both smoked and fried!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Well down here in Louisiana we’ll just about eat anything, snakes, alligators, coon, but I drew the line when it came to possum or Bussard, or armadillo.

oh boy where to start, a buddy and i have eaten or tried to eat anything we could whether is swims runs or flies. oh and slithers, he wont eat snake but wood grubs and night crawlers are fair game. we put worms and night crawlers in corn meal over night so they can replace the dirt inside with corn meal, then fry them in bacon grease. kinda like an inside out corn dog. but the weirdest thing we have eaten i think is eggplant, dont taste nothin like eggs!!!
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast