WidenersLee PrecisionPBcastcoInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Boolit Master
    I unknowingly ate dog once and had this strange need to sit in the middle of the road and, well you get the picture. After some of the things you guys have eaten, MREs would be a blessing I think. Regards Stephen

Banned
    We grew up poor until I was about 11. Mom would buy ox-tail and cows tongue that I can remember. The cow tongue was tender and not too bad but I can't say I would eat it today. The ox-tail made great tasting soup and you could pull some of the meat off the bone....an acquired taste. I did love the Government meat in the 5lb can my uncle used to get for us. He would trade some pork or beef for a tin of the beef and then give it to mom. It was great stuff tender and no fat or anything. Living in the city we never got to try the critters but were lucky enough when it came to wild rabbits and pheasants when in season. My mom would cook rabbit with chicken and cream of mushroom soup.

After read this whole post ,for what I eat is Beaver,coon,possum, snapping turtle and there liver, muskrat ,beaver tail,rattlesnake,grasshoppers, crickets,ants,cow udder ,squid,octopus, carp,redhorse , white sucker quill back,buffalo fish, eel,snail ,quahog, fresh water mussels,crayfish, acorns white ones are better then the red. This just think off hand for now.Also eat ground hog .
    Last edited by trapper9260; 04-17-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Anything strange yes Every time I set down for dinner unless I'm doing the cooking.
    Last edited by tdoor4570; 04-15-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Boolit Master

Not strange to me and others here but, we had deer heart and bear chops for dinner last night...dale

Banned
    Boogers?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoor4570 View Post
    Anything strange yes Every time I set down for dinner unless I'm doing the cooking.
    You crack me up Sir, Your either a brave man or your wife is not looking over your shoulder. Regards Stephen

Boolit Master
    I really don`t recall eating anything strange.I do like octopus and squid.Fried versions.My Father mentioned eating Manatee(Sea Cow)and said it was pretty good.There was a tree hugger present,and heard that.She had a hissy fit.Was going to report him for killing one.I said go ahead.Just hope whoever you call has a great long distance system,as my Father had died in 1994.Plus the eating of the fore mentioned animal occured before the war,the FIRST WW that is,you ain`t got a leg to stand on.Got real red faced and then shut her idiot mouth.HeHeHe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    You crack me up Sir, Your either a brave man or your wife is not looking over your shoulder. Regards Stephen
    She knows who is the better cook plus she is setting right here.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Gonna try dogfish(bowfin) this year. After all these years of growing up on the river for decades upon decades I would just remove them from society so they wouldn’t eat baby ducks after I catch them. This year its game on, slimey dogfish fillets it is!

Never tried frying up row (egg sacks) yet so it’s also on my list this year. I’ll have the pepto Bismo and TP handy.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-15-2019 at 11:31 PM.

I eat Vetch this time every year. Love it.

Boolit Master
    I've eaten fried rattlesnake. It was good. Roast raccoon, also good as long as you avoid the fat. Alligator, many times. I guess that's strange to some people. Deer heart and liver, also probably strange to some. And several other things that some might consider strange, such as ostrich jerky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Gonna try dogfish(bowfin) this year. After all these years of growing up on the river for decades upon decades I would just remove them from society so they wouldn’t eat baby ducks after I catch them. This year its game on, slimey dogfish fillets it is!

Never tried frying up row (egg sacks) yet so it’s also on my list this year. I’ll have the pepto Bismo and TP handy.lol
    Bowfin is like eat catfish but not as strong .I think you will be better off to scale them first before you fillet them because it will be mushy to do it with our the skin on. But is good . Looking forward to get more this year when the water on the Mississippi River is down that I can take my canoe on the back waters.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    They are like mosquitos in back of the house. I can catch them non stop...every couple minutes on live bait when its in the 90's or above. The meat is mushy and feels greasy like lard. I watched some youtube videos of the meat getting firm after cooking so I'm going to sack up and try it.

Boolit Buddy
    behind the lines of enemy territory,60 miles from NYC
    Up here in NY , squirrels are considered strange???so its all in the perception.
    I can say things Ive had to overcome hesitation to eat:
    Pigs feet, gizzards/chicken hearts,blood sausage,tripe

Boolit Master

I ate fruit bat in the Seychelles.

Boolit Master
    This thread makes me hungry! All in the perceptions of the diners.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    The calamari in Tn is not so good, the calamari in Alaska, was to die for! Seal tasted good but set heavy on my stomach. Moose heart stew was yummy, as is Caribou. Bullfrog, rabbit, sheep, rhea(South American ostrich)tasted like a sweet beef, goat(chevron), I love Beluga whale vs bowhead whale, but both are good if fixed right. Sheefish rocks! I love duck, and eel!
    luvtn

Boolit Master
    I have accidentally swallowed flying insects before, does that count?

Also I was tricked into eating rattle snake at a barbeque.

And I like to frequent Chinese restaurants so it is likely I have eaten the odd house cat and dog or three.

Besides that I pretty stick with the basic four food groups: Cows, pigs, chickens and elk

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    They are like mosquitos in back of the house. I can catch them non stop...every couple minutes on live bait when its in the 90's or above. The meat is mushy and feels greasy like lard. I watched some youtube videos of the meat getting firm after cooking so I'm going to sack up and try it.
    That is why I stated to descale them and then fillet the Bowfin. I done some up and seen that it wold be best with the skin. Yes the meat dose firm up after cooking .Like I stated it almost like catfish . Looking forward to get more this year. I did watch some You tube on them .

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast