RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Eaten anything Strange? Game or Not.

Boolit Buddy
    We grew up poor too, and my mother would cook anything my brother and i would bring home, killed with our bb guns. Many rabbits, doves, robins, and ate raccoon and opossum and nothing better than squirrel gravy. Love deer, but the wife wont eat any of this stuff so.......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Weirdest thing, I tried tofo once, that was enough. No taste, kinda like avacodoes. I sat in the creek while smallmouth fishing. Wondered what crawfish was like, so I sat and pealed and ate a half dozen or so. Actually thought they were pretty good, spring fed creek. Ate a squid once, but that was over a bet and beer, wasn’t memorable. Coon, possum( to greezy), rattle snake(yum!), ground hog( Young are good old ones make tough gravey). Tripe, chittlins, brains and eggs, squirrel brains, toungue, snapping turtle, frog legs, gizzards, ox tail, pig ears,and pig feet are all favorites. Haggis is wonderful, but not many know how to do it up right, only had it in Scotland that was good. Smoked, well most anything is good! Actually I will try anything except turnips, they are just the inediable root of turnip greens. Bugs aren’t a big desire, but in the right circumstance I’m in. Almost anything can be good when cooked(prepared) by someone knowledgeable, or Cajun.
    eating raw freshwater crawfish is a really good way to get some parasites....some deadly

I normal cook the crawfish ,I would not eat raw for the reason The GrimReaper stated. It dose not take much to cook them also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Yes, I know that now. At the time I did not. I grew up on spring water, caught salamanders and crawfish in the springhouse to fish with. Never really thought about it... maybe what makes spring water sa desirable is what was swimming in it or not
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Do not eat bear,coon, or hog jerky that has not been heated over 160 degrees F. Possibility of Trichinosis (sp) Here is what my Dad told me. When he was a little boy he told me that he found a "glass snake" up next to the barn. He hit the snake lightly with a stick and it broke apart. He went around the corner and watched a while, then the snake hooked back up and started along the path. He ran quickly and hit the snake again with the stick and it broke up again. He said this time he picked up a piece of the snake and threw it away, went back and hid and watched......... Then he said the snake began to get itself back together again and was missing one piece...... He said the glass snake just looked around and joined himself up with a corn cob and went on it's way. Then my Dad had a good laugh... He really was a good story teller. Never ate a glass snake.. One soft shelled turtle once when my oldest was 9 and he was very interested in the cleaning of the turtle. I cut the heart loose and put it where my son could observer the heart still beating. Fried up the meat and had lunch. We all thought it to be very good. Went in the kitchen and found the heart was still beating.... Made us feel a little something wrong in our stomach. We ate Greater Sand Hill crane in N. Mex. and found that if the breast meat was laid on a table and beaten with a meat tenderizer it would get much bigger around as it became thinner. Then cut it to smaller sizes and fry. Very tasty that way. Not so much just sliced and fried. Very tough. It gets a little alarming as the flock of cranes fly over and the shots ring out, then 18 lb birds begin to fall all around you hitting the ground with a loud thump. Sure wouldn't want to get hit by one.

Boolit Master
    Sparrows are very good.
    A friend once simmered a beaver for several hours then added a bag of frozen veggies. I was going to try it just to be polite. I ended up eating about 3 plates full. It was the best pot roast I've ever had.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wallacem View Post
    We grew up poor too, and my mother would cook anything my brother and i would bring home, killed with our bb guns. Many rabbits, doves, robins, and ate raccoon and opossum and nothing better than squirrel gravy. Love deer, but the wife wont eat any of this stuff so.......
    Is possum any good? I would like to try it but never got up the motivation.

Possum is good. Very fatty also. It is almost like eating pork. I skin them and then cut apart and trim as much the fat off also any glands and then put on a rack that way the grease will drain out when put in the oven . Or boil it then put in the oven and then debone it and use what ever way you like.There will still be alot of fat and grease, some say how grease a coon is .Possum have more.

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    Sparrows are very good.
    A friend once simmered a beaver for several hours then added a bag of frozen veggies. I was going to try it just to be polite. I ended up eating about 3 plates full. It was the best pot roast I've ever had.
    NCSU student group puts on a wild foods feed every year, though I just discovered it this past year. Great food. The beaver barbacoa was like really rich stew meat, almost like bison. The black bear Bourgogne was incredible.

There were several venison & feral hog recipes, along with raccoon, pheasant, dove, duck, etc. The shocker to me was the nutria. It was grilled on skewers over charcoal & was OMG good. My new favorite game meat by far. Bobcat was good, but fried & over cooked like gas station fried chicken. I've since had it for supper at a friend's place & much better. Think lean pork, texture wise. I completely didn't spot the tables with the competition entry dishes, so I missed out on moose & some some sort of blackened nutria dish.

I'm 3 for 3 now, on loving every rodent I've eaten so far. Has me eyeballing the groundhog down the road & the wife says she don't care if I hunt & eat capybara during the course of an Argentine vacation. Lol!
    Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben.

Boolit Grand Master

Had some pelican that was about like old goose.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Missionary was this a Peruvian pelican? Different? Had a good friend who for several years went to the Dakotas to hunt sand hill cranes that were legal there. They were pretty good. Snow geese are hard to make trasty, except maybe for the cats.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Roasted rattle snake tastes like chicken
    Regards
    John

Christmas dinner in 1988 when stationed in Panama was peccary.

Boolit Grand Master

Yep Peruvian Pelican..... unless it flew in from somewhere else.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Boolit Master

In my younger days, I worked for a consulting forester who got us a timber cruising gig in Brazil. Just before dark, one of the locals would put out a single barrel shotgun as a 'set gun' with a tripwire on a game trail. Between midnight and 2 AM some creature would trip the gun and be laying there at first light for dressing. Usually it was a tapir, which taste good cooked over an open fire.

In the 70s, my uncle was the school superintendent in Gillette, AR. Their fund raiser every year was a 'coon supper'. It was well attended and raised a lot of money for an otherwise impoverished school district.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by redriverhunter View Post
    1. kangaroo when in Australia, I think it was back strap. should have ask it to be cooked with a bit of butter, salt and pepper. Did not get a true taste because of the sauce they cooked it in. Not bad.

2. When I Thailand I ate grass hoppers not bad the front half was like popcorn in texture but the back half kind soft mussy yuck. A local told how they get the grasshopper after rice field is crop dusted they go pick them up. oops.

3. Whale while in Japan to me it was like mutton.

4. Natto is a Japanese food made from fermented soybeans. As I remember it you mix the natto with rice raw egg and some soy sauce. I have no taste for raw eggs but not to bad with rice and soy sauce.

4. Who knows while in the Philippines the street vender would sell meat on a stick that was called monkey meat. The vender would tell you it was chicken, pork or beef. A shipmate who grew up in Subic Bay told me that it was what ever he could catch. I always enjoyed the food from the street venders always good.
    Street vendor in Olongapo was selling bbq shish-kabobs on a stick, 6 for a dollar. I enjoyed them. Girlfriend was freaking out. Asked me what I was eating. Said beef. She said you see cows in Philippines? Gave it some thought. Sure, 2; pulling carts. Behind the vendor was a 55 gallon steel drum full of rat tails. I finished my snack. Tastes like beef!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Country rats (corn fed) eat grains and have a descent flavor Have not yet been desperate enough to try a city rat... as best I know.
    But in the city if it dies someone will eat it.

Beaver is very good , mix it with low grade grounded beef you will find it alot better . I made up a mix of beaver and deer trimmings ground and make a mix for a meat loft . Will make that today and also cook some in to burgers . I eat different wild life I catch ,just like fish. There is still some I have not try yet because I have the others that I normal eat. Muskrat is good it is lean like beaver. just trim the fat. as for beaver tail soup you better off just use the beaver trimmings that way you get more meat the fat and that is what the tail is mainly is . I use some of the tails to make beaver tail oil for trapping .

Boolit Master
    Cod tongues, deep fried.

Boolit Buddy
    On a hunting trip in Panama with my wife's uncle, we lived off of iguana and parrot. Iguana was good and tastes like - you guessed it - chicken. Parrot had a beefy taste and was tough as nails. We also shot spider monkey and kinkajou but didn't eat them.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast