RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Pistol hollow-point swage die for arbor press....

Banned

Pistol hollow-point swage die for arbor press....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOLLOWPOINT SWAGE DIE FOR ARBOR PRESS.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	238756

This is more or less the exact design of die that im using for my hollow-point bullets for my hand cannon. this is about as simple as i can figure out and requires no adjusting whatsoever. all you do is find a bullet design and weight and make a stop that will bottom out on the top of the die so that every bullet is swaged exactly the same. use different thickness stops for different weight bullets..

to use on different presses all one must do is set the die body up to thread or plug into the press and set the punch up to do the same if using a swage press. the one i use is designed to be used in my pneumatic swage press i built a little while back. the one shown in the picture is designed to be used in an arbor press that can be purchased at any Harbor Freight or tool store for 50$-100$.. it is actually how i started swaging when i started and still how i test out new designs of dies..

the ejector pin is also the hollow-point maker. the die body is stepped in the ejector pin hole so that the pin bottoms out in the bottom of the ejector pin hole. the pin must be made just a slight bit long and by testing the bottom of the pin is shaved till it sticks up in the die the correct height. i did not like the way most swage setups were made so i designed everything to where i just pop it in the press and start swaging. i do not like having to adjust everything a little at a time till everything worked. this design is perfect in that all you have to do is have the correct height and thickness jacket and correct weight core and nothing else must be taken into account..

M98k. Have you by any chance tried to swage on an arbor press? The mechanical advantage is different than a reloading or swaging press. I tried it with no success. Might want to try just a Simple test operation before going through all the trouble.. The mechanical advantage is the same on an arbor press regardless of handle position. The mechanical advantage stacks on a swage or reloading press. Advantage increases as you approach cam over. D
    Last edited by uncle dino; 03-28-2019 at 02:56 AM.

Banned
    i said i used one and it was how i started out. also said that i still use it to test out new dies.. any small 2 ton press will do just fine provided you built your dies correctly. unless you weigh 135lbs and have the strength of a coma patient i do not see any problems with using an arbor press for swaging.

Banned
    here is a clip of me using my arbor press with the die design above without any troubles at all to swage 135gr .308 caliber varmint bullets..

It soulds like you have a ratchet assembly on your press?
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Ok. For very light swaging tasks it does work... small diameter bullet with a deep open tip.. I was trying to core swage 45 cal on mine.. no dice.. looks good. D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    It sounds like you have a ratchet assembly on your press?
    yep..

uncle dino, it's just a 1.25 ton.. i have swaged 8mm, 9mm, and 40cal with it, no real noticeable increase in difficulty.. used to do all my swaging on it..

Mines a 3 ton ..with a 3 foot handle. Maybe different gear ratio or something..d

Boolit Master
    That is a very nice bullet Mauser98K, it may not be the fastest method but hell speed don't always mean perfection. I like your system and consider it very cleaver indeed. Regards Stephen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle dino View Post
    Mines a 3 ton ..with a 3 foot handle. Maybe different gear ratio or something..d
    or it might be my 258lb butt hanging on the handle.. lol... plus i do powerlifting as a hobby, so im a bit stronger than the average guy.

and thanks Stephen Cohen..

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    They do make compound leverage Arbor press that have a lot more oomph..

http://www.dakecorp.com/products/arb...-arbor-press-2

Some past employers had them.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player