MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9mm cases?

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok

9mm cases?

Ive culled a bucket of 9mm brass. Any stepped or brass that has a perforated collar on the case were separated.
    What to do with the bad brass? Curious minds here.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Sell it to your local scrapyard to fund a lube groove purchase!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Master
    Some scrap metal buyers will buy cartridge brass, some will not. Same with fired primers. I have considered a flower pot smelter, but that is so far on the back burner it might never happen. Meantime, I will keep checking for scrap buyers until I find one. The major issue for a scrap buyer is the smelter folks really do not appreciate a live round popping off during the melt.

Boolit Master

My scrap yard buys it for a dollar a pound. They also sell lead for a dollar a pound. Mixed wheel weights are .60 cents a pound. So i sell the scrap brass and buy lead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Last batch of worn brass i took in it was 1.20 a pound. My buddie who scraps for a living said it's now at 1.40. He was telling me if i had any to take it in while it's up some. I only have about 10 lbs. So i'll hang onto it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    My scraper also buys brass with primers in. It’s been awhile since I sold any. The last time I did sell some it was a 5 gallon bucket almost 3/4 full. Got around 75$ for it

Boolit Master
    Just look at the receipt....in the past year I got $1.70 a pound for scrap shell cases. It got converted into primers and powder.

Quote Originally Posted by maxreloader View Post
    Sell it to your local scrapyard to fund a lube groove purchase!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    Some scrap metal buyers will buy cartridge brass, some will not. Same with fired primers. I have considered a flower pot smelter, but that is so far on the back burner it might never happen. Meantime, I will keep checking for scrap buyers until I find one. The major issue for a scrap buyer is the smelter folks really do not appreciate a live round popping off during the melt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    My scrap yard buys it for a dollar a pound. They also sell lead for a dollar a pound. Mixed wheel weights are .60 cents a pound. So i sell the scrap brass and buy lead.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlofPa. View Post
    Last batch of worn brass i took in it was 1.20 a pound. My buddie who scraps for a living said it's now at 1.40. He was telling me if i had any to take it in while it's up some. I only have about 10 lbs. So i'll hang onto it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    My scraper also buys brass with primers in. It’s been awhile since I sold any. The last time I did sell some it was a 5 gallon bucket almost 3/4 full. Got around 75$ for it
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Just look at the receipt....in the past year I got $1.70 a pound for scrap shell cases. It got converted into primers and powder.
    OK guys. I am a plumber, so i do scrap my brass and copper about once or twice a year. I just didnt want to through them in the barrel vs, maybe a good use for them. Those pesky step cases and perf cases like to split in the chamber when reloaded.
    As i figured, in the scrap bin they go. Think i have about 30 pounds or so.
    Last time i went it was 600 pounds. My local yard has FBI once fired brass but not the day i went. Bad is he wants 4 bucks a pound for the brass. Ugh. Basic range brass he sells for 2 bucks vs 4 for the FBI stuff.

Boolit Master

Sell them to a bullet swager. 9mm makes dandy jackets for 40 call bullets.

Boolit Master

^^^^^^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Sell them to a bullet swager. 9mm makes dandy jackets for 40 call bullets.
    Hmm a trade would be good lol.

Boolit Master
    It would be nice to have the die sets to swage 9 to 40 and 40 to 45 acp. I have a couple that a forum member made from 40 brass. Nice work. That would be a good way to use some of my excess, but I just do not have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bannister View Post
    It would be nice to have the die sets to swage 9 to 40 and 40 to 45 acp. I have a couple that a forum member made from 40 brass. Nice work. That would be a good way to use some of my excess, but I just do not have the time.
    Wonder if the stepped brass would separate when swaging?

Banned

I have a bunch of 9mm and 40 that I would love to swage. But I'm the opposite of DB, I have a ton of time and no funds available. So I keep picking it up and keep what I need and offer the rest on reloading forums. When it gets to the amount it starts bothering the Boss, she lets me know and it goes the same way. I sell it for scrap and use the funds to get what I need.
    The plan right now is to collect enough to afford a swaging set up.

Boolit Master
    junk yards in my area buy used brass from local gun clubs and re-loaders, they call it YELLOW BRASS. they wont sell lead be cause it is a HAZARDOUS MATERIAL. but they will buy it for $0.60 a pound, and wheel weights they don't want be cause some are ZINC and STEEL, a mixed mess.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm another that sells it for scrap. Every scrap place will not buy it so you have to call. I guess I should take the time to smash it so some new or unsuspecting reloader won't buy it.

Boolit Master

I use the stepped brass for 9mm Makarov, for two reasons.

Some 9mm brass has tapering wall thickness, and when trimmed down for 9x18 it tends to bulge when the bullet is seated. The stepped brass is thin down to the step, and works great for 9x18. 9x18 is also a lower pressure round.

It also makes it easier to sort when I pick up mixed brass. I set it all up on the counter and pick out the stepped brass quickly. If it's my brass it's already 9x18. If it's untrimmed range brass it get trimmed and becomes 9x18.

I don't go out of my way to find it and would never buy any. If I don't feel like trimming it, it just goes into the scrap bucket. I have plenty of regular 9mm I could trim, but since I sort out the stepped brass anyhow I just make use of it.

Boolit Man
    Well...in the morning I'm going to swage about 1k 40S&W boolits using some 9mm brass. I just ran out of 40 boolits and I have a butt-ton of 9mm. I may even make a few with some 380 brass. I set the dies up tonight and ran a few samples....it's been a while since I last made some...but they look pretty good....185gr with a nice xtp hp and a cupped base.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
    OK guys. I am a plumber, so i do scrap my brass and copper about once or twice a year. I just didnt want to through them in the barrel vs, maybe a good use for them. Those pesky step cases and perf cases like to split in the chamber when reloaded.
    As i figured, in the scrap bin they go. Think i have about 30 pounds or so.
    Last time i went it was 600 pounds. My local yard has FBI once fired brass but not the day i went. Bad is he wants 4 bucks a pound for the brass. Ugh. Basic range brass he sells for 2 bucks vs 4 for the FBI stuff.
    The guy I use, will take ammo brass and primers but wants any plumbing type brass and copper separate from the other brass. I have no problem with that.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Haven't checked the scrap yard i use just wish there was a closer one have to drive 30 miles or so to get to one that will sell lead. Plenty close just wouldn't deal in lead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast