MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Under rated cartridge

Boolit Master

The 30-30 may (in the opinion of some) be on its way out, but I'd like to have a dollar for every whitetail that's been taken with it. Partial to the .30 carbine too.
    It was a lot easier to choose a rifle cartridge 50 years ago. I some times wonder if ammo manufacturers are trying to increase sales by flooding the market with all the newer cartridges that are in some minimal way better than the old standbys ..... using factory ammo.

Boolit Buddy

In rifles, the 30-30 gets my vote. In a levergun, its a nearly perfect combination of power/capacity/portability/handling/terminal ballistics. Its more cartridge than most people really learn to USE.

handguns? The 38/357.
    It gets poo-pooed these days because its a wheelgun cartridge. While i love the semiauto...I also have to look at longevity.
    My 10mm puts brass into the wild blue yonder..
    the 357 has similar power and is a flat shooter....and I can dump the brass in my hand or a front mounted dump pouch and keep on trucking. Something to be said for that in deep snow.

BOTH these rounds came up when shooting focused on placement. Nowadays, seems people would rather hit with a lighter round, a few times a second, then hit 1-2X and be done.

In fact, many of those straight walled mid-power cartridges soldier on, and come some emergency, one set up to cast and load for them will be well prepared. 38-55, 35 rem, 45-70, 32-40, 32 spl, ect ALL are great rounds WHEN someone takes the time to learn them, instead of abandoning them for the next new thing

A lot of good cartridges got run out by Magnum mania. The 32, 38sp, 44sp are in this class. I don't include the cartridges that are very popular as under rated. The small bores like 218, 25/20, 32/20 were all good useful cartridges. A lot of small game and varmits use to be taken with them. A lot of shooting could be done with less lead, less powder , less noise and less recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    Kind of late to the conversation here, but it's right in my wheelhouse. I bird hunt with a 16 gauge, SxS with double triggers no less. Small game and plinking is a 25-20WCF with cast. Deer/antelope get a 257 Roberts or 250 Savage x2. Heavy timber deer will see my 38-55 with cast boolets.
    I sure haven't seen many times I felt all that limited with the old timers.

I always thought the 25-35 was a good round...

Boolit Master
    I have always wanted a bolt action 30 Carbine. I thought it would be a great boolit rifle. I have a Springfield 1922 that was reworked to handle the 22 Hornet. Rim is about the same...

Also thought about using a Ruger 77/22 Hornet just not sure if the Ruger would be up to it.

And then I found out that S&W made about a half dozen N frames in 30 Carbine! I have contacted several revolversmiths and not been thrilled with the answers I have gotten. I will probably find an original before I can get one built!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I have always wanted a bolt action 30 Carbine. I thought it would be a great boolit rifle. I have a Springfield 1922 that was reworked to handle the 22 Hornet. Rim is about the same...

Also thought about using a Ruger 77/22 Hornet just not sure if the Ruger would be up to it.

And then I found out that S&W made about a half dozen N frames in 30 Carbine! I have contacted several revolversmiths and not been thrilled with the answers I have gotten. I will probably find an original before I can get one built!

Kevin
    You can always get a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine if you want a revolver. I agree with your assessment, it's an under rated cartridge.

Anything quiet and low recoiling..... ‘Merica likes BIG BOOM!

Boolit Master
    222 Rem Mag, 6mm Rem and 358 Win.

I have really enjoyed this thread. I keep my vote for 30-30 and 357 magnum. Talk about big game hunting with a rifle, and all goes well until you tell them you want to use a 30-30. Same with the 357, I guess it makes no difference if it has been use on deer, elk, black and even grizzly bears.

Back several decades ago Marlin made a lever rifle in 30Carbine!

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post

Kevin

the 6.5x55? yes underrated/unknown.
    The 6.5x55 on moose? yeah it is the MINIMUM cartridge for use on moose under Swedish law, so its kinda the "243Win" of moose hunting and it's popularity is that it was the national cartridge, but here is a bit of reality for you, more moose fall each year in Sweden to another "old/underrated" cartridge, the 30-06 Springfield, by a factor of ten!

The 30-30 is nice light recoiling and effective within it's envelope.

The 30 Carbine As "a bedside table gun", YUP, What do you think leans against my bedside table right now?
    There was a police Lieutenant on the NYPD that headed up their "Warrants Squad" that swore by the 30Carb.

With the military iron sights I can hit a soda can sized target as many times as I want to at 50yds as fast as I can work the trigger, and since mine has a Redfield scope base, I can put thirty rounds into 3-4" at 100yds again, as fast as I can work the trigger, and those are all 110gr softpoints, it doesn't have the "energy of a 357mag" it has nearly twice the energy of a 357mag! (plus there are 15-30 of them depending on the mag size used.

As for the little 22WMR it has the energy of a 38special!
    Last edited by AllanD; 05-21-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Rifle cartridge votes for the 307/356 Winchester’s.

The 6mm Remington. I always liked it better than the .243 Win. More speed and the brass lasted longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

A few come to mind.
    22 Hornet
    222 Remington
    250 Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The 6mm Remington. I always liked it better than the .243 Win. More speed and the brass lasted longer.

I've always liked the 6mm REM as well but have always been annoyed by rifle manufacturers that chamber it in "Short" (308 length) actions. I loaded for the 6mm Rem 700 Varminter my brother owned, it really liked the 70gr Nosler Hollowpoint, but it liked them seated out to the rifling, and seated to that length they wouldn't fit in the magazine (around 0.25 too long) and if seated to fit in the magazine the group sizes opened up.

One of these days, I'll build a 6mmREM on a long (30-06 length) action

Would they build a 7X57 or an 8x57 or even a 257Roberts on a short action?
    As the 6mmREM is basically a 6x57, WHY?

Boolit Master
    I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the .30-40 Krag yet! How many old timers began their hunting career with a 'bubba'd' Krag rifle? It's certainly killed every big game animal in the Lower 48, and probably in Alaska, too. The old factory 220 grain RN load kills stuff DRT!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
    I've always liked the 6mm REM as well but have always been annoyed by rifle manufacturers that chamber it in "Short" (308 length) actions. I loaded for the 6mm Rem 700 Varminter my brother owned, it really liked the 70gr Nosler Hollowpoint, but it liked them seated out to the rifling, and seated to that length they wouldn't fit in the magazine (around 0.25 too long) and if seated to fit in the magazine the group sizes opened up.

One of these days, I'll build a 6mmREM on a long (30-06 length) action

Would they build a 7X57 or an 8x57 or even a 257Roberts on a short action?
    As the 6mmREM is basically a 6x57, WHY?
    It fits a 98 Mauser perfectly - as it should. That's what I'll use if I get the itch bad.
    And I love the .30 Army also.

Boolit Master
    I vote for the now defunct .41 Action Express. According to my Hornady reloading manual, it equals the 10mm and the barrel can easily be switched out for a 9mm. For some reason, everybody flocked to the .40 S&W, because the most inept gun fighters of all time (FBI) led the way with the .40 Short & Weak.

Boolit Master
    I am slow responding to this, but the lowely .22 LR Rimfire is the most underated cartridge. It gets berated and beat down all the time. But the .22LR has taken more game than all of the other cartridges have combined.

Ruger Mark IV .22/45 the last pistol I bought.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast