Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Under rated cartridge

Boolit Buddy
    I'm going with the 358 WCF. Never had a chance from the beginning, saddled in a lever, which isnt all bad in itself, but, never was able to let its true potential shine because of it.
    Crash87
    "An art, to supply a truthful response to someones nagging, busy bodied question(s) such that the person feels as though their question has been answered, but yet, do not understand the answer and are unable to provide a follow up question to gain clarification for fear of appearing to be a dumb ***, when basically having to repeat the question

"LIBERALS ARE ALOT LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS."

Boolit Master
    I would agree in that the 30-30 is about as under rated as you can get. Many people turn their nose up at it, when it is really a great cartridge.
    Now then the little .22 LR is under rated in a sense, but since it is super hugely popular still, it can't really be considered under rated.

Boolit Master
    My vote would be the .35 Remington.
    While I agree the 30-30 and 22LR/WMR are underrated sales have been healthy for quite a while. Seems like a lot of people like them, they just don't respect them.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

44 special. Loved by those who know it but known by few. How many of those M29s traded off would have been kept if the owner had shot a box of 44 specials?

I don't own one, but I had the priviledge of shooting an M1 carbine at Jack Rabbits a few times. Farmer friend/boss would drive the jacks with snow machine. He set me on a square corner of woods next to the creek and taught me how to kick myself a foxhole into the top of a snowdrift.

Close shots were the ruger, but once they were out past 100 yards and stopping to look the M1 carbine with that .30 carbine round was pure whistlin death on those jacks.

His mom cooked them up, mostly for dog & cat food, some for human consumption.
    Was cheaper than buying food for all the 4 legged critters on the farm. And dang fine entertainment on a cold crisp Jan day.

I had my chance to buy an M1 at a reasonable price and I passed it up. Been kicking myself ever since.

Boolit Grand Master

32 special for the general public. Same with The Bob, and most mid caliber mid velocity cartridges. 480 Ruger for the big bores and of course my beloved 41 Mag. Most of these are handloader only propositions to get the most from them.

Moderator Emeritus

280 remington. It has all of the 7mm usable bullet range and near the velocity of the 7 Rem mag in a bolt with 80% of the powder.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

+ 2 for the Roberts

And don't forget the 221 FB and 256 WM cases, in their pistol forms they were tops..........

Boolit Master
    I've gotta say 45-70. Light unique loads with a round ball are very accurate at 30yds and can take a squirrel's head clean off and sounds like a cap gun. Load up some shot and it's good for birds. Hot rod a 525gr or solid copper for anything that walks or crawls.

Boolit Master
    I'd be a poor one to ask about underrated cartridges, because I seem to prefer them. My favorite rifles include 257 Roberts (2 of them), a 6.5 Swede Tikka T3; a 300 Savage, and 358 Winchester, both in lever action rifles. Both the lever guns have produced a "dime group" which my gun club's promotion describes as three shots whose outside can be covered by a dime. It's easy with most 22 cal rifles and my Swede, but with a 358" bullet, lots of luck is needed.
    Last edited by Norske; 04-03-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    Another vote for the 22 Win Mag.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I have an Arisaka sporter in 270 Savage, very underated but still effective on deer without the noise and recoil of it's big brother.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Popular in Europe, but not appreciated that much in the US. The 6.5x55 Swedish. Flat shooting and easy on your shoulder. Perfect for deer. Probably good enough for elk to. Hundreds of moose have been shot with them in Norway and Sweden.

Have to agree too, that the 30-30 really seems to be falling out of fashion. Was once considered the unofficial deer gun of the US. Still a great adequate, economical and fun cartridge to shoot.

I will add one that I am sure many will disagree with. The 410 shotshell , I have used 410's all handloaded for many applications. Many believe they are only for rats and clay targets but it can be loaded to do any things well.

Jedman

I am going to go with centerfire and agree on the 30-30. There has been a lot of absolute ** spouted about how ineffective it is. A mention was made on a video that one rather ignorant individual that claimed he missed a deer because he held over its back at 75 yards or so to allow for its drop. Many people would be well served with a 30-30 for deer hunting as it gives a pretty fair range of about 200 yards, easier with the new LE's and is easy to shoot. See a lot of folks concerned about getting a cartridge for women and kids. My daughter took 2 deer her first year with a 30-30. It is a more reliable killer than a 243 also which many want to use. It handle bone hits where the 243 breaks up. Too bad the 30 Remington went obsolete as it was a rimless 30-30 and would have been great in different repeaters. It is also a very versatile cast bullet cartridge.

DEP

Boolit Master

Got to add the 7x57. No list would be complete without it.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I find myself in complete agreement with Northmn. I have seen 1oo gr .243 bullets blow up on a rib, Like an explosion went off right there. Flaying the meat and muscle off the bone the size of a paper plate. I tried to track than deer for 3 days. I don't think I ever got within a mile of it. .243 makes a great varmint round. But IMO it is debatable on deer at least at longer ranges. Awesome at busting crows out 3-400 yards.

But for me, too much speed and not enough bullet for deer.

I think you would be better off with a.30-30 and a 170-190 gr bullet over 5-7 grains of Red Dot.
    Not going to be fast. But inside 100 yards it will put it through both sides. So then as always its a matter of placement. Can you put it where it needs to go.

Low on recoil and noise, just right for those younger members. Just my opinion, YMMV

Boolit Grand Master
    8mm Mauser. I understand Americans not embracing the round on political grounds. But a fine cartridge for the game most of us will ever hunt.

.35/30. Know it is a custom only round. I have an old Model 94 I got at an estate sale for $135 10 years ago and it has a little bit of rust. Bought it to send to JES but never got around to it. The caliber always intrigued me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    .17 Mach 2. Accurate, flat trajectory, quiet, and minuscule ricochet potential. The perfect pest control round for the Urban Farmer or Ranchette lifestyle.

Tragically unappreciated and fading fast.

Boolit Master

My favorite squirrel fodder!!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast