Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Under rated cartridge

Boolit Master

Under rated cartridge

I am starting this as 'what is the most 'under-rated' cartridge?
    I'll start with the lowly .30 carbine caliber. it is the most fun per caliber, medium power, easy to reload, and it comes in lightweight gun.
    I think this is the most underrated caliber because it comes in the Carbine rifle, not known for accuracy.
    Had this caliber ever been offered in something like H&R single shot, a light bolt gun (mini-mauser), or a pump, this would be a absolute hoot to shoot.
    the cartridge is more capable than the common gun it comes in.

Well, of course, there is the mighty Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine, if you can stand the muzzle blast and noise. I have several carbines, and have always found them to be passably accurate. I keep one ready to go for my home defense gun. When much younger, I knew an elderly man who got his deer every year using a carbine of questionable origin. I say that, because in the 1950s they had not as yet been released from military service for sale to the public. Anyway, I guess it may be underrated, but not under valued by me.

Boolit Master
    Thompson/Center made .30 Carbine barrels for the Contender. Some shooters used them for IHMSA/NRA Field pistol.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

30-30 is heading the same way as a hunting cartridge. Some say it is barely good enough for deer.
    Proud to serve, U.S. Army Infantry

Super Moderator

It's one of my hands down favorites of all time. I use my 44' Inland for coyotes and jackrabbits mostly, along with lots and lots of plinking. I cast the RCBS 30-115-SP and load it with 10 grains of N110. For my hunting loads I HP it with the Forster HP tool. It's sweet shooting accurate and reliable load, and puts all the brass into a neat little pile. While I haven't used mine for deer, It's obviously capable of it.

Boolit Master
    The 22lr is the most underrated cartridge of all time...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    The 22lr is the most underrated cartridge of all time...
    I'd have to agree. It kills all out of proportion to it's size and has been doing so for years. Put one between the eye and ear on a hog and they go down without a fuss.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    .25 Remington, a well balanced little cartridge that was upstaged by the .250 Sav. and .257 Roberts, but would still be a useful caliber also,especially if offered in a small quality bolt rifle like a Mini Mauser or Howa action. I have taken several deer with it in a Remington M-14,But would be better as a medium range varmint cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

Ill throw one in that's slowly fading losing favor. The 222 Remington. For years it ruled the bench rest matches and varmint hunting. Is exceptionally accurate and easy shooting. Easy to load for lots of components available. Great barrel life. The 223 and others have set it a side now

Banned
    7.62x25 Tokarev -- lightweight 30 cal boolit
    Most of the European ones are bulletproof tack drivers and can shoot accurately at 200 yards (I can't )

Boolit Master

When I read these words “under rated cartridge “ the first cartridge that comes to my mind is the 22 Winchester Magnum.
    Much maligned and condemned for its higher cost or distruction. Yet a pack of smokes, that slowly kills ya, costs simular, yet offers nothing in return is readily bought & consumed daily.

It is seeing a upsurge in popularity with a few personal protection firearms and ammo on shelves. Its a fine lil cartridge, kills all out of proportion to its size has more power than a LR does at muzzle @ 100Y.

I adore it.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    .257 Roberts, nothing better in its class.

Boolit Master
    A 22mag from a pistol is about the same as a 22lr from a rifle, a 22mag from a long barrel carries energy numbers near 357 mag pistol, and about as much flash bang. Btw the 22mag was my second pick for underrated cartridge.

I'm using a 6.5 Grendel in a Howa mini now, it can handle 7.63x39, it will eat a 30 carbine for lunch! So what would I gain by shooting 30 carbine out of the same package? If you going to name a platform, wouldn't it be prudent to use what it was capable of, instead of throttle back just for nostalgic purposes?

+1 on the 22Lr
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

30-30 and 357 magnum are my picks. Both have killed many things they're too small for.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 05-21-2019 at 01:46 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Took my '44 30 Carbine out to the range for he first time since buying it on monday. After some very disappointing results with my LAR-8 .308 I did 2x quick 10 round strings on an SR-1. From a very poor semi-bench position I ended up shooting mid 170s, with a low 90s on the 1st string and an 84 on the second. I'm sure that if I had been prone w/sling I could have managed closer to 190, which is about what I usually do with my Garands. Lots of fun, surprising accurate, and didn't beat the heck out of me from a crappy position like the Garands would do.

Although I agree with many of the above I will add the 38 Special.

Boolit Master
    Well this one is a little different. Not so popular. And to my knowledge not found in anything but surplus eastern block hand guns. But my vote goes to the 8x18 Makarov round. Energy wise about the same as a 38 special and certainly more powerful than a 380. It was good enough for our enemies for about 50 years. Including the kgb, gru and the Stassi. Very reliable and accurate when fired out of a Bulgarian, or any Makarov, P64 or Cz82
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

22 mag gets my vote also; as stated above kills all out proportion to its size and in a gun with the proper juju it’s no slouch in the accuracy department. 2nd largest wild hog I’ve ever personally seen taken was with a 22 mag- which sounds like no big deal; steers have been killed with less, except this Big was injured; and had been fighting with a dog in an enclosed garden, raging like the Incredible Hulk. Anyone with any pig hunting experience can tell you that’s a diffrent kettle of fish altogether than popping Wilber for slaughter with his head in the feed trough. One shot from about 15 feet right next to the ear canal and it was lights out!
    Love the 22 mag and it gives up nothing as a backup carry gun with modern loadings designed as such at kissing distance.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I will say the 25 acp it is a blast to shoot at the range. Cost next to nothing to reload 7000 rounds or so per pound of powder and at 45 gr you get a lot of them little bullets per pound. And as far as a defensive round if you do your job it will do its. Been many a person laid low by the lowly 25.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast