MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: RCBS 30 Sil

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS 30 Sil

I now have one of these molds.
    Gun Show bulk buy find.
    I've been using the Lee/NOE 160ge boolet.
    Some say it will work better for the Swiss K31.
    Haven't cast any yet, but looking at the mold, they both look the same.

Boolit Master

Which RCBS '30 SIL'...the 165 gr or the 200 gr? I've cast the 165 for .308 and .30-06 for several years and obtained really good accuracy...'specially in the Garand. So far as using it in a 7.5x55, that's going to depend upon the condition of your chamber throat/bore. If yours was well-maintained with a reasonably low round count, I doubt seriously that either of the RCBS SIL boolits will chamber without very deep seating...the 165 certainly doesn't in my pre-war (1937) K31 and it's got a touch of visible throat erosion (which doesn't seem to effect accuracy).

I've you've got (or can borrow) an NOE sizer set-up, you can nose-size the bore-rider portion of that boolit to fit your chamber and it should work fine (...'been there, done that!) but it's kind of a PITA that adds an extra step to the process. NOE does a mold designed specifically for the K31 and (again, depending upon chamber/throat condition) I've also had good results with the Lee309-200 in both the K31 and the 96/11.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Regarding the RCBS moulds you mentioned... I've had both for at least thirty years, but it's probably been at least twenty years since I've cast with either. The 165 makes good, accurate bullets. The 200 casts an undersized nose, according to my notes. Never did get decent accuracy with bullets from this mould. Perhaps other such 200 SIL moulds will make bullets with the right diameter nose. The only reason I can recall that I no longer use the 165 is because I prefer heavier bullets in .30 caliber, at least 180 grains, but preferably around 200.

Super Moderator

The 30-165-SIL serves me well in both the 30-06 and 308W. If I had one complaint, it would be that it only casts at .310. My .310 sizer die barely puts a mark on it. I'd prefer to size to .311 if I could, but it works well enough as is. It sure casts a nice boolit, same for all my RCBS molds.

Banned
    Shooter, Powdercoating is an easy and pretty remedy for the undersized boolit problem. You can gain .001 to .003 with one coat depending on the powder and how thick you put it on.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's 136g gas checked.
    From whet I've read, because of the nose profile, it works better in the Swiss K31.
    Just got it, so don't know what it cast at.
    I have a set on OE sizers. Need to order more bushing sizes.
    I've never tried to nose size.

Boolit Master

Currently, RCBS catalogues only two .30 cal. 'SIL' molds: a 165 and a 200 with similar nose profiles. They do list a 115 RN and a 130 spire point...both with GC...in their 'RIFLE' designs; could be what you've got is one of those.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master
    OOOPPPPSSSS!!!!
    it is a 165gr not 136gr

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    OOOPPPPSSSS!!!!
    it is a 165gr not 136gr
    Okay, looks like it's going to depend upon what nose dia. your mold casts. I miked a few unsized/uncoated 30-165SIL (#2 alloy) this morning; the bore-rider noses measured .3015-.3025 and my K31 won't close completely on anything over .301 without slamming the bolt handle with the palm of my right hand...which really begins to hurt after a very few rounds!

As mentioned earlier, I have sized the noses of those RCBS SIL boolits down to .301, using an NOE set-up, and the loads developed shot pretty well. I've also obtained some nice groups with the Arsenal 30-188PC but that boolit, too, requires nose sizing after powdercoat. On the other hand, my Lee 309-200RN mold drops a boolit with a .3005-.301 nose that will produce 2 1/2"-3" 100-yd groups (factory sights) at around 1750-1800 fps...and doesn't require an extra sizing step.

Bill

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I just size them to .309 and don't have any problems with the RCBS 165 SIL
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

both sil are performing very good in my parker hale.
    I like the 200gr better thou, there is just enough grease, i must say...just enough...

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The 30-165-SIL serves me well in both the 30-06 and 308W. If I had one complaint, it would be that it only casts at .310. My .310 sizer die barely puts a mark on it. I'd prefer to size to .311 if I could, but it works well enough as is. It sure casts a nice boolit, same for all my RCBS molds.
    That describes my mould as well. At .310, it is a good fit in most .308 and 30-06 commercial rifles. It may be a smidge undersized in some military throats, although it does very well in my Remington 4 groove 03A3. Of course it is a bore rider and some barrels might not work well with it. The nose on my is .301 when cast from ACWW.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.