RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charcoal quality?

Boolit Buddy
    Quit using Kingsford years ago because it didn't get hot and didn't completely burn. Always had at least 20% of the individual briquettes that didn't burn even with the lid open. Tried wally world brand with larger briquettes and never looked back. If it doesn't get hot enough for your needs I mix some lump charcoal with it to get the temp up. Where I live we have black jack oak trees and I use a lot of the downed trees for smoking and grilling. Using your native wood is a great way to augment your charcoal grilling. May try Kingsford again but they changed there recipe years ago and it hasn't worked for me. Bought some brand at Lowes can't remember the brand but man did it burn hot, great for searing steaks. Alas they don't carry it anymore. Don't be afraid to try bargain store brands for your small grilling for your own family as some are very good. Just write it down if they work good. If my memory serves me it was the bag from DG that was really good and burned really hot. Of course I didn't write it down so I am not sure.

That hasn't been my experience at all. I get complete burn with Kingsford briquets every time and the temperatures are plenty hot for what I'm doing with it. I also use it in my smoker and get good results there, too. Very good control with the dampers and again, consistent burn.

This thread has got me thinking I might try some samples of some other types this spring, though. Wish me luck!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12