Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal quality?

Vendor Sponsor

Charcoal quality?

Is it just me or in the last 10-20 years has the Kingsford charcoal brickettes and other brands too - lost some oomph? I may be just remembering things wrong, you know, better in the old days and all. But it sure feels like it takes a lot more and does not burn as hot and sure not as long.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

So the bags are smaller, you have to use more and the price has gone up. What's not to like?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    So the bags are smaller, you have to use more and the price has gone up. What's not to like?
    +1 on that. I used to use Kingsford, now, just look for the cheapest. Like many other things,doesn't seem to make a big difference. Lots of things seem to have gone down in quality, up in price. Maybe its just the cynicism they say comes with getting older. Me, its just too much experience with watching things go downhill. Make it cheaper, claim its New and Improved!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    You can always make your own. It is not hard.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I use Texas lump charcoal. it is all wood no floor sweepings and dirt.

Yeah....I've moved on to hardwood lump charcoal. No chemical taste.....good smoke flavor, and burns much more consistent in temp for a longer time.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Still use kingsford usually buy when its on sale 2 20pound bags usually between 10 to 15 dollars. Still have some from a few years ago not sure what it goes for now.

Moderator Emeritus

Lump charcoal.
    I've got a question.

So I've never used lump charcoal before last summer. My Hispanic neighbor gave me a grocery bag of what he called "Mexican charcoal". It looks like the lump charcoal you can buy in the store. While I have never bought any or used any store bought lump charcoal...I've got one question, does it burn like a big sparkler? throwing sparks everywhere? Because that's how this Mexican charcoal burns..it doesn't create any coals, when it's done sparking, it's all gone and there isn't anything left but ashes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I still use the Kingsford which still works just fine for me. The lump charcoal never was particularly good so I switched back to the briquets.

I don't like the ones which have wood chips infused and I definitely don't use the ones with lighter fluid infused in it! (Match light?) Just the charcoal, a chimney starter and some newspaper to get it all going.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

At 7500 ft altitude the only charcoal that worked for me was kingsford. It took a long time to light which why I switched to propane.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I understand about the altitude but propane can't compare to charcoal for flavor. I also use wood chips along with charcoal. I do have a gas grill to keep things warm while the rest gets done.

Moderator Emeritus

Lump is the only way to go, buy a quality one. Availability of brands varies around th country so have to look and see what is carried locally. Friend in TX uses a mesquite lump mixed with oak, I can't get it up here, just oak...

Boolit Buddy
    Switched to a wood pellet grill never looked back.

Vendor Sponsor

I tried the lump, one brand at the food store, small bag- pricey. I think it burned fine but no real difference for the price.
    I ask the question wondering if anyone might know if the charcoal is made differently than that of twenty or forty years ago? It is probably just me.

One poster said, just make your own - not hard.

Other than Gamble Oak, no hardwood here in the Rockies.... Spruce and Aspen aren't known for making good charcoal. Kingsford charcoal may or may not be what it used to be but it still works. I am a sucker for doing and making all kinds of things but, we each draw the line somewhere. (spending my extra time learning to slow rust blue) Some days finding time to just get the grill lit is hard....
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 03-28-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Chill Willis,
    one of the reasons for the changes in charcoal is the wood ere getting now isn't near the quality that it used to be. Look at the lumber yards at wood and you see very little truly straight wood or grains wood is being harvested sooner and more sap wood is being used. I Believe when Fords Started making Kingsford it was all oak. The Barbeque charcoal was side market from the steel making at Rouge plant. What I was told years ago.

Boolit Master

Yep,
    Kingsport ain't what it used to be. I'd check the bag, but I emptied the last into my WEBER charcoal box.
    Wonder if It's still made in the U.S.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I don't think Kingsford charcoal is as good as it used to be, but I say the same thing about watermelon too.
    I use quite a bit of charcoal in Dutch oven cooking and have found Kingsford works better than other brands I've tried. I think it lights easier and burns hotter. Most of the other brands seem to leave a lot courser ash, while Kingsford is mostly fine powder. Leads me to believe the other brands have filler of some type in them.

Moderator Emeritus

Kingsford used to be all wood and minimal fillers... now it is soft woods, anthracite coal, fillers... BLECH smells like burning diesel to me...

Vendor Sponsor

Hmmm, ..... Well. we all know the internet may not be the last word, but this was an interesting read.
    who knew Kingsford, Michigan (Iron Mountain, Michigan)

This, in part from Wiki
    "Ford Motor Company sold more than one million Ford Model Ts in 1919, and each of those Model Ts used 100 board feet of wood for the parts such as frame, dashboard, steering wheels and wheels. Because of the amount of wood that had to be used in the cars, Henry Ford decided he wanted to produce his own supply. He enlisted the help of Edward G. Kingsford, a real estate agent in Michigan, to find him a supply of wood. Coincidentally, Kingsford’s wife was a cousin of Ford - making the partnership a reality.[2] In the early 1920s, Ford acquired large timberland in Iron Mountain, Michigan, and built a sawmill and parts plant in a neighboring area (which became Kingsford, Michigan). The mill and plants produced sufficient parts for the car but generated waste such as stumps, branches and sawdust. Ford suggested that all wood scraps were to be processed into charcoal.[3] "

GO here for the full read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingsford_(charcoal)

BTW- Mary, looks like you called it right.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I bought a red colored bag of some kind of lump charcoal and don't like it. I DO like the Kingsford that is not saturated with starter. I use a fire cup that uses some newspaper to start the charcoal, no starting liquid. The food tastes much better that way.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast