Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: The rifle Ruger should have built !

Banned

The rifle Ruger should have built !

A black pad 1B with 4X wood, almost never seen. Was an 06' but JES fixed that, now a 35 Whelen.

Super Moderator

Did you refinish the stock? If so, what stain did you use?

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master

Sure is pretty. How’s it shoot?

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the Whelen. A friend of mine has a Ruger #1 in 9.3X74. He claims black bear just tip over. Another has a Remington 700 Whelen and calls it the most effective whitetail rifle he owns (225gr Sierra bullets).

Boolit Bub
    Beautiful wood on that one, factory or refinished?
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

What a beautiful piece of art.....it brightened my day!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Very handsome wood

The #1 is just a sexy rifle.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    "Beautiful wood on that one, factory or refinished?"

Ruger never put a decent finish on anything after Bill died.

Boolit Master
    Personally I'll take a 1A over a 1B any day..
    My 1A 35 Whelen is a stainless with open sites another plus..
    The butt stock and forearm match, while nice aren't as nice as your butt stock..
    Last edited by Nrut; 03-29-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Nice looking stock, and I think the color is great. What brand and stain color did you use on it?

Forearm wood always seems a let down on most two piece stocks. Just very hard to get the same effect that you get from a one piece. I know it CAN be done, just look at some of the two piece stocks that were put on some of the European double rifles, drillings and side by sides. In America not so much. I have two No. 1's, neither have what I would classify as great wood from Ruger. Mine aren't show pieces, just cared for hunting guns, but I'm happy with the wood they came with, that first scratch doesn't hurt quite as much and so far the wood they used has developed no cracks or splits. Lots of European guns have cracks and splits. Not sure if it's due to the type of wood they use, stock design, or the way the actions and barrels are secured to the stocks.
    Here's my plain wood 9.3 X 74R.

Banned

I love the #1s and a good part of the reason has been wood. Ive had some red pad guns that were exceptional. I was pretty discusted when my new 280 1b came in. It looked like a 2x4. Funny thing is that it was the best shooting #1 or even ruger ive ever owned. I just couldn't warm up to it. Blah wood and just to heavy for a 280. If it would have had nice wood I could have lived with the weight. I ended up trading it off to the dealer I bought it from for a nice #1 458. He is a stock maker too and has done a few custom jobs for me and his work is top shelf. He intended on restocking it. Just for grins he thought hed sand down the old stock and see if it was worth saving for another project. When he saw what was under all that stain he redid it in oil and it stayed right on the gun. I saw the gun about 6 months after I traded it off to him and about broke out in tears there was even a good amount of fiddleback in that stock. Ive seen that on other rugers in the past. I think the stock finisher is hung over or tired that day and he slaps on stain with a paint brush.

Boolit Grand Master

Just too "red" for my taste, looks kind of like the stain jobs being done by that SvenLindquist guy, didn't like them either.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Sweet!