Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Long time cast shooter, first time black powder

Long time cast shooter, first time black powder

As the title- i shoot cast lead exclusively in my Marlin .45-70. In fact, I’ve never shot a jacketed round thru this gun. Lately, I’ve been reading about shooting black powder. I’ve read in here a lot about cleaning, and I’m not too concerned about the cleanup. That said- I’ve got a couple minor questions that I hope some folks can clear up for me.

What’s a good bullet to shoot in my lever gun with black powder? Is “range scrap” soft enough? I typically cast 50/50 COWW/Pb, and size to .460 with a gas check. If I cast pure, it’s almost certainly going to be smaller...will it bump up enough to seal? Should I gas check still?

I’m really looking forward to being able sit at the feet of some elders and gain some knowledge, electronically anyway, since I likely can’t do it in person.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Master
    It will not cast small enough to worry about. I'd be surprised if you can even measure the difference. As for casting pure with range lead, that's not going to happen. Range lead will be a mixture of everything and the kitchen sink. Hardly pure at all. I have little doubt it will work just fine for most plinking.

Gas check it if you want, but blackpowder loads typically do not require a gas check but we often use a fiber or plastic wad under the bullet. If you have a gas check mould, use it with the check. I don't see a down side except the cost of the check itself.

Boolit Buddy
    At our shoots here in North Carolina, most of them forbid gas checks and require single loading for lever action shooting. If you are starting from scratch, why bother with a load that might not be allowed somewhere if you decide to compete.

Boolit Buddy
    Shooting pure lead usually pertains to the muzzle loaders. Mainly because one is using a ram rod. Shooting an alloy that is on the softer side would work just fine. I shoot 20-1. I have shot harder too, seemed to work.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Grand Master

For shooting a lever rifle pay attention to bullet length. My best friend comes over every once in a while to use my Lyman 457122 Gould HP mold for his Marlin. I can guarantee that it fits.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Amen to the advise here... and Wayne, as always, hit an important nail on the head in the above post. Length.... it matters.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    It will not cast small enough to worry about. I'd be surprised if you can even measure the difference. As for casting pure with range lead, that's not going to happen. Range lead will be a mixture of everything and the kitchen sink. Hardly pure at all. I have little doubt it will work just fine for most plinking.

Gas check it if you want, but blackpowder loads typically do not require a gas check but we often use a fiber or plastic wad under the bullet. If you have a gas check mould, use it with the check. I don't see a down side except the cost of the check itself.
    Not trying off set the OP . Just like to know of this .Since it was not ask in the OP . Can you use cardboard also for over the powder and under the boolit ? I thinking of getting into load some blackpowder rounds. Also what BP grade is best to use FFG or FFFG and for what rounds rifle and handgun and shotgun .It is best to use pure to very soft lead for the boolits then .then use range lead alloy ?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Not trying off set the OP . Just like to know of this .Since it was not ask in the OP . Can you use cardboard also for over the powder and under the boolit ? I thinking of getting into load some blackpowder rounds. Also what BP grade is best to use FFG or FFFG and for what rounds rifle and handgun and shotgun .It is best to use pure to very soft lead for the boolits then .then use range lead alloy ?
    I am not sure if I understand you exactly, but generally, FFG is good for almost anything. FFFG works in smaller cases like pistol cartridges, but FFG will work well too. Shotguns like everything, but FFFG may leave you more room for wads and lead. It is just my experience and opinion, but I have always found it easier to get an accurate load with FFG over FFFG.

You do not need super soft lead. Range lead will probably be pretty hard due to lots of pistol bullets and hard bullets with antimony (also found in most wheel weights). It should work pretty well for you however. Pure lead or really soft bullets are not needed for cartridge rifles but may serve you well as a hunting bullet in some cases. There are, however, no absolute rules.

Thank you BrentD. I hope this will help the OP also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

All of the above helps me, and I greatly appreciate al of the comments.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    At our shoots here in North Carolina, most of them forbid gas checks and require single loading for lever action shooting. If you are starting from scratch, why bother with a load that might not be allowed somewhere if you decide to compete.
    Where do you shoot in North Carolina?

Boolit Buddy
    You will find that Swiss or Old Eynsford will burn much cleaner with softer fouling than regular GOEX. Costs more, but worth the difference. Also about 10% higher velocity with same weight charge. Range lead should be fine for casual shooting, but you'll want to control your alloy more precisely if you're working up a match load. Choose a bullet design with deep square lube grooves if you want to minimize fouling buildup. Probably still want to wipe the bore a couple times after each 10-20 rounds. Here's a good looking bullet from Accurate Molds immense catalog. http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-345A-D.png Have Tom make the driving bands cast at .458-.459 with your standard alloy. Good soft BP lube, like SPG, or just 50/50 olive oil and beeswax if you'd like to make up your own.
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

I took a Lee 458-405f and a 458-500f drilled out the gas check on the mould and lapped it with valve grinding compound to 460 and polished.
    little more weight but was more work than most would want to do shoots good with my bfr and 1895 G's and I use ww from the tire store not a 500 yard load but works for what I need.
    Never put pointed bullets in a tubed lever gun