Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: Last shot to clean

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Last shot to clean

I’ve been shooting BP in my .45-70 lever gun for a few months now. Both grease lubed and paper patched. I have always loaded grease cookies, because I didn’t want to swab between shots. I’ve been having good luck and a lot of fun. However, as we all know, when the fun is over you have to clean up.

The other day I decided to shoot a couple of powder coated smokeless rounds when I finished shooting BP. As I thought, the bore was really cleaned out. I did do a regular cleaning, but it was a lot easier and quicker.

I can understand it not being a good idea to shoot a copper jacket down a lead only bore, but figured a powder coated boolit, shouldn’t cause any problems.

What do others think about doing this? Could I be doing something to cause problems?

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts on this.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Well, if that doesn't clean out your barrel, and there's still some residue left from your BP fouling.

Putting thru about five rounds of GG bullets, with the grooves filled with 240 grit lapping compound, most certainly will!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve been shooting BP in my .45-70 lever gun for a few months now. Both grease lubed and paper patched. I have always loaded grease cookies, because I didn’t want to swab between shots. I’ve been having good luck and a lot of fun. However, as we all know, when the fun is over you have to clean up.

The other day I decided to shoot a couple of powder coated smokeless rounds when I finished shooting BP. As I thought, the bore was really cleaned out. I did do a regular cleaning, but it was a lot easier and quicker.

I can understand it not being a good idea to shoot a copper jacket down a lead only bore, but figured a powder coated boolit, shouldn’t cause any problems.

What do others think about doing this? Could I be doing something to cause problems?

Thanks for everyone’s thoughts on this.
    Greg I would put this in the why bother pile ....I clean my lever guns in a couple of minutes
    Flush bottle first to wet the bore down - then one pass with a patch or a bristle brush - flush bottle till it runs clear - one pass with a bit tighter patch - flush bottle again - patch again - if the patch comes out coloured go round again but likely its clean already - flannel patches to dry the bore - then a patch wet with WD40 - thats it for me - If I dont shoot again for a while I might run an oiled patch down bore after a couple weeks .

My flush bottle is just a plastic coke bottle - I fitted a spout off a caulking gun tube thru the lid and a piece of clear plastic tube over it to fit in the chamber - keep the gun belly up but muzzle down so nothing gets in the magazine tube or the action and pour water till it runs clean each time - usually the third pour and patch is clean and the crud is gone. I leave this setup in my machinery shed on a trolley bench with cleaning cradle, can of patches, cleaning rod, WD40, flush bottle and spare container of water - a tiny squirt of dishsoap in the water - its so darn easy I get a laugh pretty regular when I read here the cleaning regime that most fellers use - mine might sound involved from the description but its really quick and easy.

Boolit Master
    You are shooting a Marlin right? If so, it's a near instant job to pull the breech bolt and clean from the rear like any other rifle. Takes only a few minutes to do the cleaning part, and replacing the bolt and the lever with that single screw is just another few seconds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    You are shooting a Marlin right? If so, it's a near instant job to pull the breech bolt and clean from the rear like any other rifle. Takes only a few minutes to do the cleaning part, and replacing the bolt and the lever with that single screw is just another few seconds.
    Brent
    My little bottle and brush trick works even better (and faster) from the back end
    joe

Boolit Grand Master

I use an Otis cable and pull it from the receiver to the front. It works great. My point is shooting a PC round after, just makes it a lot easier to clean. Less patches to run through.

Yes I have a Marlin and I learned a long time ago about loosing the ejector. Now I don’t take the bolt out in the field. Only at home on a table with a big white cloth under the gun.

Boolit Master
    I use an Otis cable and pull it from the receiver to the front. It works great. My point is shooting a PC round after, just makes it a lot easier to clean. Less patches to run through.

Yes I have a Marlin and I learned a long time ago about loosing the ejector. Now I don’t take the bolt out in the field. Only at home on a table with a big white cloth under the gun.
    Try the water bottle ----I dont know how much easier than that it can get!

Boolit Grand Master

Ok. I’ll try the water bottle. Have to buy a tube of cheap caulk just to get the plastic tube.

I just read today, that in battle with muzzle loaders, soldiers often peed down the bore to get it clean enough to cram down an other ball.

Boolit Master
    I played around with Pyrodex in a Henry .357. No matter what I tried, I could not get the barrel clean after. Ran some FMJ .38s through it and it was a lot better.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I played around with Pyrodex in a Henry .357. No matter what I tried, I could not get the barrel clean after. Ran some FMJ .38s through it and it was a lot better.
    Clean once a day for a week, once a week for a month, and once a year for life (with water then oils). Pyrodex is evil stuff.

I'll let others pour bottles of water or pee down their barrels.

Boolit Master
    Ok. I’ll try the water bottle. Have to buy a tube of cheap caulk just to get the plastic tube.

I just read today, that in battle with muzzle loaders, soldiers often peed down the bore to get it clean enough to cram down an other ball.
    The mind boggles mate ! Just imagine your thoughts if you are the indian that sneaks up on a redcoat with his pants around his knees and in the middle of doin this process to his brown bess in the bushes .................................................

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flush bottle2.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	238801

shouldnt be difficult to con the gal at the hardware counter for one of those plastic spouts without buying the tube of stuff? You need a foot or so of clear plastic tube - get what fits the chamber reasonable neat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cleaning cradle.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	238802

make one of these for cleaning - worth the bit of time it takes to build. (thats my fold up one I take to shoots - a solid one is better for home and easier to make too)

shot my 1886 a couple of days back - 5 minutes from when I walked out the door of the house till I put the gun back in the rack clean and oiled - was not hurrying at all .