RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: when to lubricate?

when to lubricate?

Hello, I'm waiting for the powder funnel that will make me lathesmith, so until then I can not improve my 9mm recharges.
    A friend lent me a mold for 45 acp, similar to lyman 452374, with simple lubrication groove. I'm going to make panlube. The question is: if I lube before doing the sizing. Should I lubricate after doing the sizing? Thank you
    Hernan

You can lube either way. Most people lube before sizing, but that smears line all over the nose of the bullet when sizing. If you size first and then lube, it'll be cleaner.

Boolit Master
    Neuces5,

Yes, you can do it both before & after sizing, & like Bazoo said though, you will likely end up wiping the boolits noses before loading them, if you do it first, as they can get lube on the noses & then it usually gets in the seating die, and can effect your OAL if it builds up.

I have 2 options for you to try. ( I do not know if some of these chemicals are available in Argentina. You may have to find substitutes of some kind. It will also depend on cost I would imagine.)

1) If you decide to pan lube them before sizing, then once they are sized, take a rag & put some mineral spirits or paint thinner, acetone, or some type of solvent that will clean the boolit and put it on a rag & gently wipe the boolits noses & ogive with the rag to remove excess lube, but avoid removing the lube from the groove(s). That way you are less likely to get lube in the seating die & have it build up & alter the OAL setting. ( Gasoline/diesel/kerosene should work as well, BTW. )

2) If you decide to pan lube after the sizing, if nothing else, you should at least try to lube the sizing die, as you run the boolits thru it, if you decide to try to size them before putting them into the pan lube. Maybe a little oil drop, or spray lube every so often into the die, to help ease the boolits thru & make it smoother & less effort to push them through.
    Some of the spray lubes like WD-40 may help. If you do decide to lube with something other than boolit lube, you will likely have to clean the boolits with solvent, or mineral spirits/paint thinner/acetone & let dry before putting in the pan lube, just in case the lube does not want to stick to the boolits because of what lube you used.

I hope I helped & G'Luck!

Below is an attempt to say the same thing above, translated with the computer to Spanish. I hope it may help...
    -----------------------------------------
    A continuación se muestra un intento de decir lo mismo anteriormente, traducido con la computadora al español. Espero que pueda ayudar ..

Neuces5,

Sí, puedes hacerlo antes y después de ajustar el tamaño, y como dijo Bazoo, es probable que termines limpiándose las narices de boolits antes de cargarlas, si lo haces primero, ya que pueden lubricarse las narices y luego generalmente se pone en el dado de asiento, y puede afectar a tu OAL si se acumula.

Tengo 2 opciones para que pruebes. (No sé si algunos de estos químicos están disponibles en Argentina. Es posible que tenga que encontrar sustitutos de algún tipo. También dependerá del costo que pueda imaginar).

1) Si decide panearlos con lubricante antes de dimensionarlos, entonces una vez que tengan el tamaño adecuado, tome un trapo y póngale un poco de alcohol mineral o diluyente de pintura, acetona o algún tipo de solvente que limpie el boolit, póngalo en un trapo y suavemente limpie las narices de boolits y suelte el trapo para eliminar el exceso de lubricante, pero evite quitar el lubricante de la (s) ranura (s). De esa manera, es menos probable que obtenga lubricante en el troquel de asiento y que se acumule y modifique la configuración de OAL. (La gasolina / diesel / queroseno también debería funcionar, por cierto).

2) Si decides panear con lubricante después del dimensionamiento, si no más, deberías al menos intentar lubricar el tamaño del troquel, mientras pasas los boolits a través de él, si decides tratar de dimensionarlos antes de colocarlos en el lubricante. . Tal vez un poco de gota de aceite, o rocíe lubricante de vez en cuando en el troquel, para ayudar a aliviar el efecto de los boolits y hacerlo más suave y menos esfuerzo para empujarlos.
    Algunos de los lubricantes en aerosol como WD-40 pueden ayudar. Si decide lubricar con otra cosa que no sea lubricante boolit, es probable que tenga que limpiar los boolits con solvente o alcohol mineral / diluyente de pintura / acetona y dejar que se seque antes de colocar el lubricante en el recipiente, en caso de que el lubricante no desee. para atenerse a los boolits debido al lubricante que usaste.

Espero haberte ayudado y G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Muchas gracias por la traduccion! una gentileza.

I already had some lubricated, so I did both procedures.
    I think I'm going to try these lubricated ones and as next week I have the PC paint, I'm already starting to bake.
    If I get good boolits PC, I will stop using the classic lubricant.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    Muchas gracias por la traduccion! una gentileza.

I already had some lubricated, so I did both procedures.
    I think I'm going to try these lubricated ones and as next week I have the PC paint, I'm already starting to bake.
    If I get good boolits PC, I will stop using the classic lubricant.
    Great! Sounds very good! Let us know how things work out for you!

G'Luck to you!

------------------
    ¡Genial! ¡Suena muy bien! ¡Haznos saber cómo te van las cosas!

¡Suerte a ti!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o