Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

Somewhere on the web(available on the Springfield site) is a 10,000 round test of the 10mm XDm using factory ammunition(Federal Personal defense hydra shock). It went through all the ammo without a single malfunction with three different men shooting it in a tag team type test.
    Some have complained that the ammunition used wasn't hot enough to really test the gun. I think ten thousand rounds of factory ammo would certainly be a valid test.

Boolit Master
    That seems like a definitive test to me.
    I read that they used 12 mags and did it in windy, sandy conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    T/C Contender. -- . Shoots great.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a new run production Delta Elite and love it.

Just ordered a GP100 match grade in 10mm

Also ordered a 220 grn mountain mold for them.

I'm planning to replace my G17 with the GP100 in IDPA should be interesting to say the least going from a auto to a revolver.

A moon clip fed revolver is the fastest reload you will ever have with wheelgun.

I really really regret selling my S&W 1917 in 2004

Rich

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by root View Post
    I've got a new run production Delta Elite and love it.

Just ordered a GP100 match grade in 10mm

Also ordered a 220 grn mountain mold for them.

I'm planning to replace my G17 with the GP100 in IDPA should be interesting to say the least going from a auto to a revolver.

A moon clip fed revolver is the fastest reload you will ever have with wheelgun.

I really really regret selling my S&W 1917 in 2004

Rich
    I want a GP in 10... Just cannot wrap my head around the nearly 1K asking price... No one is gonna justify this cost to me.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Just ordered this guy and I am lovin every bit of it! Not quite as expensive as the match champion. Loves cast or jacketed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190414_101159_3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	240243

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by colt38sp View Post
    Just ordered this guy and I am lovin every bit of it! Not quite as expensive as the match champion. Loves cast or jacketed.

That isn't even catalogued... is it some dealers exclusive?

cW

Yes. It is a Lipsey's exclusive. They offer it in .327 fed mag, 357 mag, and 44 spl too. It fits wonderful in the hand.

Boolit Master

Yes. It is a Lipsey's exclusive. They offer it in .327 fed mag, 357 mag, and 44 spl too. It fits wonderful in the hand.
    Still only the MT is listed...

http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.as...r&caliber=10mm

Must be a conspiracy...

CW

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger and Lipseys got this revolver perfect. Sights, looks, grips, everthing. It's one of a very short list of guns I have that I have not changed a thing. 5" is perfect for carry, I can sit without hitting the seat like a 6". I've got the 327 federal, and I wish they would chamber this same model in 41 magnum. I only paid $650 or so, that's including shipping, FFL etc. If I were looking for a 10mm revolver, this would be the one to get.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Still only the MT is listed...

http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.as...r&caliber=10mm

Must be a conspiracy...

CW
    I am not sure why it doesn't populate in the search list but here it is.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...mno=RUGP104051

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Ruger and Lipseys got this revolver perfect. Sights, looks, grips, everthing. It's one of a very short list of guns I have that I have not changed a thing. 5" is perfect for carry, I can sit without hitting the seat like a 6". I've got the 327 federal, and I wish they would chamber this same model in 41 magnum. I only paid $650 or so, that's including shipping, FFL etc. If I were looking for a 10mm revolver, this would be the one to get.

I agree with you 100%. I have to fight the urge to obtain the other chamberings as well. I would love to see one in 41 magnum!

Boolit Master

Thank you!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Somewhere on the web(available on the Springfield site) is a 10,000 round test of the 10mm XDm using factory ammunition(Federal Personal defense hydra shock). It went through all the ammo without a single malfunction with three different men shooting it in a tag team type test.
    Some have complained that the ammunition used wasn't hot enough to really test the gun. I think ten thousand rounds of factory ammo would certainly be a valid test.
    To be fair, I received 6 boxes of that same ammo last summer and looked up the specs and it was basically the same FPS and energy as my woods carry .40 S&W loads.

So, the new XD 10mm basically underwent 10,000 rounds of warm .40 S&W testing...

But, I am a fan of the XD series of pistols and would have no qualms getting the 10mm versions despite the misleading testing they claimed.

Edited to add:

Looked up the specs and it pushes a 180gr bullet 1030 fps and provides 424 ft lbs of energy.

My .40 S&W load with 6.3 gr of Ramshot Silhouette and a 180gr XTP is going 1,032 fps. It's stout for a .40 S&W, but in a 10mm, it will do over 1,200 fps with 7.5gr.
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 04-22-2019 at 06:48 PM.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Arguments can be made about the ammunition used, but the stuff they were using wasn't light target loads. Even 10,000 rounds of 40S&W would be enough to wear out many guns. Add to that there were no failures.
    I still feel it was a definitive test.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Arguments can be made about the ammunition used, but the stuff they were using wasn't light target loads. Even 10,000 rounds of 40S&W would be enough to wear out many guns. Add to that there were no failures.
    I still feel it was a definitive test.
    Its a good test of the gun, but not of it's longevity with 10mm ammo. 180 grains at 1,030 fps is pretty weak. That's normal 40 s&w, or standard pressure 45 acp. That's target ammo in my book.

Boolit Buddy
    The GP100 10mm I got was just @ 800.00 in a local shop.

I looked at it two weeks ago told him to order me one and put money down on it last week.

I would not have bought it if I 1st didn't get to handle it ( that sold me) and the price was a 100 to 150 cheaper then on line MSRP from vendors.

Yes it's NIB LOL

I wanted one of the new S&W ones coming out but that is unjustifiable @ that price due to all the 10mm handguns now out.
    That and I already have a very nice 629 44 mag Mnt gun. ( that was a grail gun for me)

I have 40 cal moon clips on the way just need to pick up some 10mm moon clips.

Plan on shooting the 40 short & weak in IDPA and using the 220's for hunting.

10mm makes a good reloading platform like the 44 and 357 due to the wide spread of loads.

Rich

Rich
    Last edited by root; 04-23-2019 at 07:32 AM.

There's no need to buy additional moon clips. The .40 S&W moon clips are the same as 10mm moon clips. I use them for both in my S&W 610 revolver.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Fred actually there is a difference depending on the manufactuere.

Rugers has some problems with ignition w 40 in “10” clips. So a slightly thicker clip was made specifically for the 40.

I do believe that the “40” clips would/should work across the board.

Ut I understand what you mean dimensionally (san thickness) the dia and depth or the rim recess on 10&40 are same.

CW

I'm not familiar with the 10mm Ruger revolvers, though I do own a couple dozen other Rugers in other calibers. I have to admit my only experience with moon clip revolvers are with my S&W 610 (10mm) and S&W 625 (.45 acp). The 610 hasn't had any problems shooting both cartridges, .40 S&W and 10mm, using the Ranch Products moon clips, so my comment was based on that. I've never tried any of the other brands of moon clips, since those made by Steve have served me well.

I wonder if there is a difference in the firing pin lengths, or in the recoil shield to cylinder gap? To tell you the truth, I've never paid any attention, since both of my revolvers go bang every time I pull the trigger on a loaded round, so I never really thought about it.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast