MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

Boolit Grand Master
    I get by with the Glock 20 and 29 (both 3rd gen SFs) because those are about the only 10mm pistols that can currently come into my State. "When in Rome......" I haven't run any cast bullets through the 10mm Glocks (yet), and I think aftermarket barrels are in order......not because of cast bullets, but because the Gen 3 chambers and feedramps allow 10mm brass run at Win Silvertip pressures to "guppy out". If you are going to run a 180 grain bullet past 1150 FPS, both of my Glocks show brass distentions much like those seen in Gen 2 Glock 40 S&W pistols. A chamber with better support is indicated for better brass life. The slower-twisted and more conventional lands & grooves aftermarket barrels might be helpful as well.

The 10XX-series S&W pistols were beasts, capable of digesting Norma-level loads 3 meals a day (200 grain bullets @ 1200 FPS). Winchester STHPs feature 175 grain bullets at 1225-1250 FPS in the G-20, about 1150-1175 FPS in the G-29. Yes, they are a bit of a handful in that sub-compact pistol. Pearce base plates with the finger-hook help a lot. The G-20 is not docile, but easier to control. I think the Win STHP-level loads are about as much as either a Glock or 1911A1 platform needs to absorb full-time. It was the Norma-level loads that cracked the Delta Elites and other Colt 1911A1-based receivers. The Glocks are certified by the maker to be safe with any current factory-loaded cartridge, per their info. Not sure if that means some of the Buffalo Bore concoctions, or not. I don't think Norma imports their stalwart 10mm loads any longer. More's the pity.

I have shot thousands of rounds of 10mm since about 1985. I like the caliber a great deal. I wish I had been allowed to carry it at work. It is NOT a "magazine-fed 41 Magnum" as some fan-bois have called it, but it is a bit more than a 357 Magnum has to offer at SAAMI-specs between the calibers.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 04-16-2019 at 07:21 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Unless your stuck on getting a pistol, don't overlook the Ruger Stainless Black Hawk with .40 S&W/10 mm cylinders. I think it was Outpost 75 made one in .40 and did an excellent write up regarding it's performance. Convincing enough for me to give one a try and I'm glad I did. I've ran over 500 rounds through it so far and it is an amazing performer. Given the chance, the 10 mm is likely going deer hunting come November.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Cool. How are the stock sights on that rig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are ok nice sight radius but even with that said I would change them out for an after market set.

By the way the MOS is really an easy gun to shoot it sucks up the recoil very well. With the 7” barrel I get nice velocities with the 200 grain WFN GC cast boolits. The chamber is tight so the brass is not over expanded and you can eek more velocity with the

Boolit Master
    What does MOS stand for, and do all the G40s have it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    What does MOS stand for, and do all the G40s have it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Modular optic system , comes setup for reflex sight

Boolit Master
    Yes they do it’s cover plate you do not have use it and can run open sights if you prefer.

I love my red dot makes that 7” Model 40 a 75-yard gun from steady rest.

My son got a XD 40 Springfield and my ribbing was nonstop. First off the mini 40 was a joke in my estimation and as for the PLASTIC gun thing ... my tank Colt 1911 in non other than 45 ACP was my choice with total comitment ... THEN

He owed me some money on a deal we did and he offered this 12 round horse flop as a fix for our dept deficiency. And I shot the gosh darned thing;

First off it actually fit my hand perfectly ... SHEESH

Secondly I found the ballance to be most exelent ... SHEESH again.

Loved the tridium sights and they aligned every time to my eye/hold.

Shooting it I ran 12 offhand every bit as good rite outta the gate as I ever did with my 1911.

All in all ... the Colt stay's in the pickup now. This crazy 40 S&W is a shooting dream. Thought I would stub this crazy auto up with cast boolits ... namely a Lee 175 gr boolit ... this plastic ugly pistol shoots them as well as I can hold and a lotza fun as they go where I want em to go.

Get the Springfield XD 40 5 inch and never look back. Mine is a keeper and shoots cast very accurately.

Can not go wrong for 4 to 5 hundred bucks

Boolit Master
    It’s available in 10mm too...thanks for the heads up. I have shot one of them in 9mm and it was the equal to
    My SIG in terms of both accuracy and smoothness...so yeah, I hear you.
    -jp

Banned

depends on what you want. Ive got a 20 and a 29 and they both run like a swiss watch but aren't exactly tack drivers. If self defense or plink was the main criteria the glocks are hard to beat. If your looking for competition or hunting accuracy id look at a 1911.

Boolit Master

While I dont disagree. (Both my Deltas could outshoot my stock Glcoks.) my G20 with a KKM 6” Bbl is NO LESS accurate than my Deltas and a WHOLE LOT more comfortable to shoot.

Plus I dont liek the top loads, back in the day many deltas had cracked frames from the heavy loads. My Blued Delta is a very low 4 didit sn. My Delta Gold Cup is a early 1990’s model.

As much as I like them all, If I had to have one, it would be a G29. I can run the FS mags with a XGrip its a G20 sized frame. A longer bbl can be had too. Mine shoots plenty accurate. I really only see acc degradation 50+ yards. Thats allot farther than vast majority of shooters would need to shoot. Also present company excluded, the gun is more accurate than most shooters.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Appreciate all the feedback. Thinking about that xdm 5.25”...not quite there yet.

Boolit Master
    Appreciate all the feedback. Thinking about that xdm 5.25”...not quite there yet.
    I have an xdm 3.8 and 5.25 in 40 they both shoot great and are totally reliable I’m one of the guys that likes the grip safety. The way I see it the only advantages the Glocks have is much better after market support and price.
    If you have modifications in mind to suit your needs research before you buy.

Boolit Master

Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

It looks like it’s basically what I’m looking for in the existing package/traditional rifling, 5+” barrel, fully supported chamber. I already like the XDm platform. Adjustable sights.
    I’m thinking it will be a decent cast gun., which is a must for me.

But yes, a bit more research.

Cast Hunter

I just bought one (4.5") and really like it. I was leaning towards a Glock and then Bass Pro had go ahead and put the XDM on sale. After holding both, the XDM just fit my hand better and I liked the trigger, so it went home with me. Have only had it to the range a couple times so far, but am really impressed with the accuracy. It's a lot of fun!
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    XDM is a really good cast gun mine loves the 200 Grain WFN GC cast. Feeds reliable and I load over Power Pistol. The more I shoot the XDM the more fond of it I become. I will also say in my Simply Rugged Holster it carries really nice.

Boolit Master

Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

XDm 5.25”. enough talk .
    Now to load some ammo...

Last edited by Boolseye; 04-21-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Banned

agree with that. 20 is a bit clubby to fall in love with but youd never pry my 29 out of my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    While I dont disagree. (Both my Deltas could outshoot my stock Glcoks.) my G20 with a KKM 6” Bbl is NO LESS accurate than my Deltas and a WHOLE LOT more comfortable to shoot.

Plus I dont liek the top loads, back in the day many deltas had cracked frames from the heavy loads. My Blued Delta is a very low 4 didit sn. My Delta Gold Cup is a early 1990’s model.

As much as I like them all, If I had to have one, it would be a G29. I can run the FS mags with a XGrip its a G20 sized frame. A longer bbl can be had too. Mine shoots plenty accurate. I really only see acc degradation 50+ yards. Thats allot farther than vast majority of shooters would need to shoot. Also present company excluded, the gun is more accurate than most shooters.

CW

Moderator Emeritus

XDm 5.25”. enough talk .
    Now to load some ammo...

I tried a Glock and just didn't feel right. The Xdm10 5.25" is perfect. Haven't shot cast through it yet but really fits my hand and eye nicely.

I do not own and have not fired a 10mm in any configuration. I do own both 9mm and 45acp XDm pistols and can wholeheartedly recommend them from both an accuracy and reliability perspective.
    They just work.

Boolit Master
    Looking forward to it. I plan to load them modestly over .40, nothing crazy (well, maybe a couple .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast