Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

Boolit Master

Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

I'm researching the mighty 10 and would like input on the arms (hand variety) that
    you all have found to work well with the ol' silver stream. Have glanced at the RIAs, The Glocks, and The Springfield XD as contenders. Open to suggestion, probably just a matter of time before I pull the trigger on one.
    -BE

Banned
    The Ruger revolver is excellent. Among 10mm semis, the new GRAND stands out: 14 capacity, accurate, 2 stage 2 lb trigger and low perceived recoil due to the rotating bbl system.

First I will say that I don't have a 10mm so take it with a grain of salt. I do have a Rock Island Ultra in 45 ACP and I love that gun. I am thinking about getting one in 9mm to replace my Ruger P95.
    Doug

Boolit Master

Witness P Match.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I have several 10's, S&W 610's, MegaStars, Steel frame Witnesses and the like. I always go back to the 610 and the MegaStar, both are a bugger to find now but both are outstanding 10mm platforms.

Boolit Master
    I only have experience with a Glock and Ruger 40/10 convertible both shoot really nice with HI-TEK coated bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Agree with mattw; the S&W 610 will out shoot most of the generally available 10mm autos. Also have a Ruger Blackhawk convertible in 38/40-10mm made in the 1980s for Buckeye Sports and it too will shoot extremely well with lead or jacked. Both guns are more accurate than I am!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not a big 1911 fan but I ended up getting great deal on RIA Tac Ultra in 10mm and I have to tell you I'm surprised at the quality of that firearm. Fully supported bull barrel with full steel frame makes it a great size and weight for 10mm. Very accurate with Lee 401-175-tc which many people use. My only two complaints are the finish which is not that great and easy to scratch and the guide rod that requires paper clip to break down the gun. Only a pain when you clean it but other then that its a great firearm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIA10mm.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	238601

I have three 10’s. A G20, RIA 2011 full rail, and a GP100 5”. Of the three I own, I prefer the revolver. Between the semi-autos, being a 1911 guy, I’d say the Rock. The Glock grip doesn’t fit me well, but every handgun is personal preference.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Ruger Blackhawk. Then you can shoot heavy 10mm boolits like these:

Attachment 238606Attachment 238607Attachment 238608

Compressed charge of 16 grains IMR4227 with the 250-grainer is "da Bomb"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Own or have owned:
    G40/4
    G20/3
    G29/3
    Kimber Stainless Target II
    RIA Combat Commander
    PARA-USA Elite LS Hunter ([now the Remington Hunter]
    Ruger GP-100

If you want something for the range and maybe hunting and don't want to spend a lot of money, Kimber has a new Stainless Target long slide 6" without the firingpin safety....Usually can be had for less than $900. Has gotten great reviews over on the 1911 Forums...

Bob

Boolit Master

Hello Bob!

I have a few too. The 10MM is one of my favorite calibers...

I would have to say the most useful is my G29 and the prettiest is the GoldCup Delta in stainless Steel. I very much like and prefer KKM aftermarket barrels. But frankly prudent cleaning and the Factory Glock barrel is just fine for hard or PC boolets.

I have 4-5 Molds for them and just last week my wife surprised me with one I have wanted to buy for nearly a decade... A Brass, 4 cavity WFN 200 ish grains and this one has HP pins too!

Just Saturday, I cast a few hundred Lyman 200g TC bullets and Yesterday a couple hundred Lyman 180 RFN bullets. Both plain base.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Good stuff, thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Just saw this one over on GunBroker...don't think it can get any less expensive than this for a brand new 1911 long slide......

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/805392801

Boolit Master

I bought a New Colt Delta Elite when they first came out. I was waiting for the Glock, but the Colt popped up first. Fired 200 rds of Norma 200gr ammo. Beat that poor Gun to death. Sold it off and bought a Glock when they finally got out.

Shot the RCBS 40-180-RF in the beginning, then after a friends coaxing. I got a Lee 40-180-TC 2cav.

STILL didn't seem to help, leading was still a problem. So I sold it off. Kept the reloading gear for my early production Glock 23. Cast of Linotype the bullets shot pretty well, softer alloy, the accuracy went south.

When they came out, I bought a Wolf bbl. Made a BIG DIFFERENCE. The conventional rifling made a world of difference.

I figure with a Glock 40cal & an old Colt in .38-40 that I have that .40 caliber pretty well covered.

But if I were to by another 10mm today. It would be no contest.

It would be a Glock 10mm. I'd buy a Wolf or another Co. bbl with conventional rifling. And would load the RCBS #40-200-TC or a N.O.E. or Accurate equivalent bullet from one of their fine molds.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Thanks again for all of the responses. I’m gonna keep it on the back burner for now, it’s not an imminent thing (probably)
    -BE
    Last edited by Boolseye; 03-26-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve had a delta elite but it went down the road as trade fodder for my P220 Hunter. Love my P220 Hunter. Also have a G20 gen 3 and a XDM 5.25” model.

Boolit Master

My inclination is to just go with a g4 if I get a Glock. I like the fact that they come with 3 mags, almost makes up for the price difference. Also would probably add a Lone Wolf 6” barrel for shooting cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hunting the Glock Model 40 with a 7” KKM barrel is as good as it gets for a handgun.

They shoot cast so well a 200 grain WFN over a dose of POWER PISTOL is accurate and potent as is the 180 grain XTP. I have fantastic results with the Hawk 200 grain jacketed FP on game. 7” bbl is fantastic for cast and when combined with the red dot slide mounted optic makes for an accurate combination.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    Hunting the Glock Model 40 with a 7” KKM barrel is as good as it gets for a handgun.

They shoot cast so well a 200 grain WFN over a dose of POWER PISTOL is accurate and potent as is the 180 grain XTP. I have fantastic results with the Hawk 200 grain jacketed FP on game. 7” bbl is fantastic for cast and when combined with the red dot slide mounted optic makes for an accurate combination.
    That almost seals it for me.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast