Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

Boolit Master

Springfield Operator would be my choice if I were shopping for a 10mm today. The extra weight from the rail will help with recoil, and Springfield's use of smaller-diameter, .38-Super-spec titanium firing pins with beefier rebound springs is a natural choice.

By the time you buy a Glock and swap the barrel, the price won't be that different, and you'll still have the very large Glock 10mm/.45 grip frame.

I dunno. I was a 10mm fan at it's introduction during the height of the now largely debunked "stopping power" debates. Now that I've seen what a cast .45ACP can do for penetration at standard GI speeds, and that I've learned to run a DA revolver with considerable skill, I don't really see what the 10 is doing that rounds 40+ years older aren't capable of doing as well. As I regard moon clips as a colossal PITA, the notion of the rimless round in a revolver generates a major "Huh?" from me. YMMV.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

It would be a decent whitetail round in my area, although there’s a 5 round mag limit for centerfire hunting here in VT. Would have to modify a Glock mag to hunt with it. Or 1911...not that anyone would ever even check or notice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-11-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Try some of these https://www.ezmoonclip.com/ Make speed loads on my .45acp wheelguns a pleasure.

Boolit Buddy

We have 4 in 10mm; 2 revolvers and 2 pistols. The NOE 200 grain bullet works very well. In fact, it groups just over 2" @ 50 yards from the Ruger SRH. If we had to go to just one bullet that would be it.

Boolit Bub
    The 10 mm is one of my favorite cartridges. In my opinion you can consider the 10mm a narrower, longer 200 gr .45 acp, so any platform you could shoot a 200 grain .45 acp in would be appropriate for the 10mm cartridge. You can find some combination of cast bullet and powder that will work in any of those choices, so it boils down to your own personal preference. Some folks are pushing the envelope of 10mm power, but if you are shooting cast, you are probably looking for 1,000 to 1,200 FPS loads. All the quality, full size modern handguns can take that.

Even though I’m a revolver guy, the advantage of the 10mm over the .45 acp, all other things being equal, is magazine capacity in semi autos. So my choice is a high cap semi auto as opposed to a revolver in 10mm. I have two of those, a 15 round gen 3 Glock 20SF with a Lone Wolf barrel and a 9 round Smith & Wesson 1006. If I was to only have one 10mm, based on my experience it would be the Glock with an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling, either gen 3 or maybe 4.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorDude View Post
    The 10 mm is one of my favorite cartridges. In my opinion you can consider the 10mm a narrower, longer 200 gr .45 acp, so any platform you could shoot a 200 grain .45 acp in would be appropriate for the 10mm cartridge. You can find some combination of cast bullet and powder that will work in any of those choices, so it boils down to your own personal preference. Some folks are pushing the envelope of 10mm power, but if you are shooting cast, you are probably looking for 1,000 to 1,200 FPS loads. All the quality, full size modern handguns can take that.

Even though I’m a revolver guy, the advantage of the 10mm over the .45 acp, all other things being equal, is magazine capacity in semi autos. So my choice is a high cap semi auto as opposed to a revolver in 10mm. I have two of those, a 15 round gen 3 Glock 20SF with a Lone Wolf barrel and a 9 round Smith & Wesson 1006. If I was to only have one 10mm, based on my experience it would be the Glock with an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling, either gen 3 or maybe 4.
    Want capacity look at the Springfield XDM in 10mm love mine it shoots fantastic and functions flawless which I require for any of my carry guns. For some reason the XD series of handguns just fit my hands really well being a 10 makes it even better...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    It would be a decent whitetail round in my area, although there’s a 5 round mag limit for centerfire hunting here in VT. Would have to modify a Glock mag to hunt with it. Or 1911...not that anyone would ever even check or notice...

Easy enough put a block in a Glock mag use the Model 40 MOS with a KKM 7” barrel and you have one heck of great deer gun.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I had noticed that option. I think that would be a good direction, also for an accurate range gun w/ cast. Thanks for the reminder.

I've got several Witnesses, a S&W 1006, a S&W 610, a Colt Delta Elite and a new Springfield XDm all in 10mm. They've all had cast bullets shot through them with the exception of the XDm, since I just got it and haven't had much chance to put many rounds through it (less than 100). They all handle cast bullets just fine, but to tell you the truth, the Witnesses and 610 have shot cast the most, since I've had them the longest. They all show a preference for the Saeco 200 gr. RNFP bullet, producing the smallest groups with that bullet.

If I ever get caught up with projects, I intend to find out how well the XDm does with them, too.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Found 20 pieces of Hornady 10mm brass at the range today...seems the universe is talking to me. Might just have to *gasp* get another....the g40 is just so outrageous that I like it.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-14-2019 at 06:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I never could understand why anyone would buy a Glock with intentions of shooting accurately at any extended range. They even say not to use cast bullets. Glocks are very reliable guns, but if you want more, you pay for it in aftermarket parts.

Instead of wasting money upgrading the Glock with a different barrel, better trigger, and decent sights, just buy a Sig P220 hunter.

They come with a barrel capable of top of the line cast bullet accuracy. They come with good triggers, and they come with very good sights. The only thing Sig got wrong was the ugly camo paint. Beyond that, the P220 hunter is the 10mm auto perfected.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I never could understand why anyone would buy a Glock with intentions of shooting accurately at any extended range. They even say not to use cast bullets. Glocks are very reliable guns, but if you want more, you pay for it in aftermarket parts.

Instead of wasting money upgrading the Glock with a different barrel, better trigger, and decent sights, just buy a Sig P220 hunter.

They come with a barrel capable of top of the line cast bullet accuracy. They come with good triggers, and they come with very good sights. The only thing Sig got wrong was the ugly camo paint. Beyond that, the P220 hunter is the 10mm auto perfected.
    Most often, its the shooter not the gun... Just like a driver can drive most any car and a Singer can sing most any song. A Good shooter, Is a GOOD SHOOTER because he/she can Shoot, Drive or Sing.

G20 @ 50 yards

G20 & 100 Yards

G24 in 357SIG KKM bbl 25 Yards

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    That's some shootin', CW. I agree with your statement, as well.
    I have found that I can shoot most platforms accurately by applying the fundamentals I learned in Bullseye and general marksmanship.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post

They come with a barrel capable of top of the line cast bullet accuracy. They come with good triggers, and they come with very good sights. The only thing Sig got wkrong was the ugly camo paint. Beyond that, the P220 hunter is the 10mm auto perfected.
    I have no Glocks any more and I have a couple of Sigs but to make a blanket statements to a bunch of folks who have success every day shooting cast even from factory barrels does not make THEM look silly.
    You could probably buy a new Glock do all you said and still have enough money left to buy a little pistol to drop in your pocket. before you hit the cost of a sig. hunter

Boolit Grand Master

A blanket statement may have been the wrong way to go, but there is no doubt you are handicapping yourself with cast bullets by buying a Glock. It's not that they can't shoot good, it's just that you have to pay for it in upgrades, or put in a lot of leg work. What cwlongshot has is pretty dang impressive, but that will only serve to disappoint the OP when his can't do the same.

If you like Glock, get a Glock. If not, there are guns that will shoot cast bullets better. The P220 hunter is the best of the best 10mm's IMO, but there are other good options if that's too rich for your blood. Ruger makes a 1911 with good sights and a good trigger for just a little more than the Glock 40. I'm guessing the OP is looking for a semi auto, but if revolvers are an option, the GP100 would be a good one.

Boolit Master

Suggestions for a 10mm platform for cast

As the OP, my only request right now to all concerned is that this thread not deteriorate into a head butting session between differing views. I appreciate ALL of your thoughts, and want to keep them coming. It’s options, that’s all. We’re lucky to have them. I have seen these things go downhill, and I’d rather save this thread before that happens.
    The SIG is no doubt a beast. The Glocks have their appeal. Maybe I’ll get a 1911, maybe the fever will pass without a buy, but it’s all just part of the game. Thanks to all.

And for the record, I can hold my own with a handgun. I know exactly what I’m getting into
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-15-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    I cant think of a time when you had so many choices in 10MM available to fit most any budget or style.
    Let us know what you pick and how you like it.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Will do.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolseye View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate it. Will do.

One of the most accurate 10mm I own is the model 40 MOS with a 7” KKM and a Trijicon red dot on the slide. It will hold 4” groups all day at 100 yards if I do my part.

Boolit Master
    Cool. How are the stock sights on that rig?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast