WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'd like to make a wooden cleaning rod. But how?

Boolit Grand Master

Track of the Wolf has muzzle loader rod supplies, including rods of varying diameters and ends.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Brass tubing can be purchased online by ID OD wall thickness at online metals .com.. In 12" lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Here's what I have so far. Im happy with it, but I would like some brass or copper sleeves where the rods meet to make it meatier and abit more solid. The wood is pretty thin around the edges.
    I had an old cleaning rod that came in a big Winchester kit that the handle broke off, so I jsut cut the male and female parts off and inserted them into the dowels. The big problem was drilling center in that small of pieces of round stock but I managed with a weird bubba setup and a drill press...

Shell casings? 9mm, .32acp etc.

[QUOTEShell casings? 9mm, .32acp etc.[/QUOTE]

I wish I'd thought of that!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If I were going to make a wood covered cleaning rod I would start with 2 pieces of oak slat. I’d use my mini mill or drill press to router 1/2 the thickness [plus a little for the epoxy] of a steel gi 3 piece cleaning rod section into both pieces. The wood would hide the female end but expose the male end. The grooved slats would be epoxied together with the rod inside then I’d turn it down to the dia that I wanted. I’d make a male and female end to fit on my lathe’s head and tailstock [I think that’s what they’re called]. Would give you the look of wood with the strength of steel. It also would give me an excuse to buy a wood lathe.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 03-30-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    [QUOTEShell casings? 9mm, .32acp etc.
    I wish I'd thought of that![/QUOTE]

I thought of it, but I dont have any that fit sadly. that would of been the best option.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    I bough them at the dollar store. So lets assume the worst possible.
    I’m afraid so, the stain really soaks into end grain, so the dark areas are where the grain is not running straight down the dowel. You’ve already noted that cleaning rods are no longer made from wood, a broken dowel in a barrel is often miserable to remove.

I’d go get a piece of straight grained oak and split off some bits by battoning with a knife and mallet, then shave them round with a knife, drawknife or handplane. It easiest to cut the pieces a little long so you can hold then in a vise for shaping.

Boolit Grand Master

screw in archery inserts would be closer in size.

https://www.3riversarchery.com/buy/a...dapters&isort=
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    If I were making this I would not use a wood dowel, instead I would rive it out of a piece of green oak or hickory.
    If you are not familiar with riving, it is the process of splitting the piece out of a log so it follows the grain. Then you use a spoke shave and/or draw knife to form it. Much stronger than a dowel.
    This is how the small spindles are made on a Windsor chair and probably how cleaning rods were made back in the day.
    Now you've got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by C-dubb View Post
    If I were making this I would not use a wood dowel, instead I would rive it out of a piece of green oak or hickory.
    If you are not familiar with riving, it is the process of splitting the piece out of a log so it follows the grain. Then you use a spoke shave and/or draw knife to form it. Much stronger than a dowel.
    This is how the small spindles are made on a Windsor chair and probably how cleaning rods were made back in the day.
    Now you've got me thinking.
    I know. This was just supposed to be an easy project. Something fun and fast. Turned out to be more complicated than I thought. Still fun though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12