Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire pressure monitoring system

Boolit Master

Tire pressure monitoring system

I have a 2009 Subaru Forester. For about the last 6 months the tpms light is coming on. It starts flashing and then stays on for a while then goes off. I understand 10 years or 100k miles is the life of the sensors. Is there or what type of diagnostic equipment is needed to diagnose my problems. Is there a universal tool or is it brand sprcific? What is needed to reset new sensors?
    My research shows tools for GM products but I don't know what is needed for a Subaru.

Boolit Master
    It just depends. They was mandated after 2007. Yes they are only good for 6-10 years the batteries go dead. Yours tell what tire position or just a low tire icon? Some have to have a magnet to trigger the new sensors. They run off a certain mhz. Most Fords I believe is 433mhz. But they do very.

Boolit Master

batteries, or moisture mixed with cold can cause them to not read either.. if you need to replace and plan on keeping the vehicle for a while, buy OEM. the aftermarket ones dont seem to last as long.

Boolit Master
    go to where you last bought the tires- the sensors have a rebuild kit with new batteries
    Loren

Banned

You can not replace the batteries. You have to replace the whole sensor. VDO are the ones that are the easiest other than OEM. But the OEM are $$$$$ VDO get it from Amazon. But they need to be taken to a shop to have programmed. I sell LOTS of them and the Schrader brand is the most difficult to program. It takes their equipment to do it. VDO you can use any MAC or Snap-on stuff.

Criminy! One more reason to keep my old cars and truck!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    When mine go, I'd be inclined to just not replace them and ignore the idiot light. Over 50 years of driving without tire sensors, periodically checking tire pressure is a pretty well ingrained habit.

At least 15 years ago VW had a system that relied on comparing the count rates coming from the anti-lock brake sensors on each wheel. What ever happened to that? Have they locked it up with a patent? It required no additional hardware whatsoever. And it did work.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Have almost 200k on Toyota and still working. Don't pay 150.00 for a new OEM set, get from Amazon for 69.00 for 4. Also, there should be a button underneath dash to "reset" sensors if they start giving a false reading. (See manual)
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I had a 2007 Silverado that I kept getting the TPMS warning. Since it was 9 years old at the time, I went to ebay and bought "pulls" from a tire dealer. They were Cadillac wheels that were exchanged for different wheels by the dealer because the customer wanted different wheels than what was on the car at the time of purchase. The TPMS sensors were brand new but couldn't be sold as new.

Anyway...I got mine for $15 a piece for OEM. It might be worth looking into.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Can they be totally disabled? More stuff to go wrong.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    If/when you replace the valve stems, spring for a full set, including the spare if equipped. It's not worth the hassle fixing one and having to go back in a few months for another. Speaking from experience here.

Boolit Master
    Electricians tape over the idiot light on the dash is what I do when I put my snow tires on then just watch the tires for low pressure. When spring comes and I put the regular tires back on, off comes the tape.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    If the tires were just changed the tire tech probably broke one. If not corrosion build up from moisture build up from what ever air hose aired up the tire. Could be a bad sensor. Could have left the valve cover cap off and the valve and sensor corroded. Could have bumped a curb. Or the tpms sensor is not communicating with your brain box. What ever it is forget about it and just check your air pressures like before Obama passed the law in 07’ to put these stupid things in cars. Dumbest invention on the planet. You wanna know how many customers I have had over the years screaming at myself and my employees thinking their life is ending because their light is on and they THINK they have a flat tire. Come to always find out 99.9% of the people either overinflated their tires or they are 4lbs low and the light came on. No apologies ever. If you are going to waste your money DO NOT buy an aftermarket sensor. Nine out of ten times they won’t program and you are stuck with it because a parts store will not take electronics back. The only way to get it replaced correctly...take it right to Subaru. I’ve been managing service departments on and off for 30 years and have had to swallow every aftermarket tpms sensor made on most imports after trying to program them. I’ve taken my beating and Subaru’s and Honda’s go to the dealer for the reset...even if we installed it.

If it were me forget about the light but if it bothers you I’d pay the dealer for the repair. Some imports like Subaru Need the factory tpms sensor and a factory tool to reset. I’ve wanted a lot of shop dollars sending the customer to the dealer after I wasted shop dollars, wasted parts, and paying a tech shop time I can’t recover. Your going to have to take it to surbaru and take your beating if you want it fixed.

Electrical tape over the light goes a long way.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 03-25-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Criminy! One more reason to keep my old cars and truck!
    Same.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Can they be totally disabled? More stuff to go wrong.
    You can remove them but the light will be on the dash. Most companies that do custom tuning of vehicles can do some adjustments on the TPMS (like if your tire pressure is different with larger tires) but that is not all vehicles. I do not know any that they can be turned off completely on. I talked to the shop that did the tune for Fords and at that time he said he could not completely disable the TPMS system. The government is mandating the TPMS so the manufacturer makes it hard to reprogram the PCMs to remove them.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It’s a liability for an auto center to remove them. You can do so yourself. I’ve seen them all put inside a spare tire in the truck and inflated to the correct air pressure so the light stays off several times over the years.lol ...their still in the vehicle and still registering according to the car.

Boolit Master
    On my Rav 4 the low tire sensor stays lit. I always do a walkaround the vehicle before entering it. I suspect the sensor is bad. I ignore it now....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    More. Electric **** you don't need and costs a fortune .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    At least 15 years ago VW had a system that relied on comparing the count rates coming from the anti-lock brake sensors on each wheel. What ever happened to that? Have they locked it up with a patent? It required no additional hardware whatsoever. And it did work.
    My 2014 Honda CRV has that. They call it Indirect TPMS.
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/blo...oring-systems/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast