WidenersRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire pressure monitoring system

Boolit Master

When mine go, I'd be inclined to just not replace them and ignore the idiot light. Over 50 years of driving without tire sensors, periodically checking tire pressure is a pretty well ingrained habit.
    How did we ever drive cars without these all those years?? A $5. pressure gauge and at least 1 good eye is all you need. Actually in a pinch just the 1 good eye!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2016 Toyota TRD Off-Road, and had a set of wheels from a previous similar truck (2-vehicles back) which had my good Blizzak snow tyres on them -- reason I kept them -- and, when these snow wheels were put on the truck, replacing factory all-season, I was told I needed replace all four in-wheel sensors as the ones from my 2009 were not compatible with the 2016's. I bought genuine Toyota's over Internet for $100 less than dealer price, but they socked me eighty bucks to do the installs. YES -- I miss the good ole days when it was assumed the vehicle operator had enough smarts to check, and keep to proper inflation, their tyres! (In nearby P.Q. (Province Quebec) Quebec's Highway Safety Code requires winter tires between Dec. 15 and March 15 -- not a "nicety".)

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    How did we ever drive cars without these all those years?? A $5. pressure gauge and at least 1 good eye is all you need. Actually in a pinch just the 1 good eye!
    I still go by the manual temp sensor method. Drive for a while. Stop and get out. If the tire(s) feel too hot, they're underinflated.

That's how we judged tire pressure on the racetrack. The rubber has an optimum working temperature, not pressure.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Another question. If I take the vehicle in for factory service will they demand the tpms is functional before they release it? Is there some goofy law or requirement that the tpms is working before leaving a dealership?

I worked as contract engineer in the Nissan plant in Mississippi the year it opened. In the Tire mounting department. What a fiasco. More flats, more errors due to these stupid sensors than anything else.
    More mandated Junk on a vehicle. Just how hard is it to walk around your car once in a while? DUH! I'd replace with nothing. Yes, I'm an old fuddy duddy that works on his own vehicles. Newest is a 2005 truck.....

Boolit Grand Master

As weather turns cooler each Fall, I get a low-pressure signal from the same tire. Talk about a slow leak!!!!!!
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’m shopping for a new car. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of tire pressure monitors. Would anyone venture to explain how they work?

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m shopping for a new car. This is the first time I’ve ever heard of tire pressure monitors. Would anyone venture to explain how they work?

Thanks
    This is a pretty good explanation.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/blo...oring-systems/

Boolit Master
    I think in states that have yearly vehicle inspections you have to fix the bad sensors before they ok the vehicle.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911sw45 View Post
    I think in states that have yearly vehicle inspections you have to fix the bad sensors before they ok the vehicle.
    They considered a vehicle inspection law here in Montana years ago. Then they found out over half the vehicles in the state couldn't pass, and people raised hell. Considering we have seven reservations in the state, that would have put most of the Indians a-foot.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    They considered a vehicle inspection law here in Montana years ago. Then they found out over half the vehicles in the state couldn't pass, and people raised hell. Considering we have seven reservations in the state, that would have put most of the Indians a-foot.

I remember years ago, they did a survey and found that states, without inspections didn’t have anymore accidents than those that did. So some states stopped having them.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Here, most people have the changers just put in rubber stems and forget about the light and manually check their tire pressures once a month like they did before 07’ when Obonehead passed the law stating all vehicles had to have them in.

Boolit Master
    Well I learned something, this was the first time I heard this was mandated! Good grief, how have we survived without all this! Anyway, yeah replace with nothing, black tape over the idiot light and spend a wee bit on a code analyzer. They are dirt cheap now and will talk to a smart phone, that way you can check for new codes when you check your tires. But then I don’t have to deal with inspection none sense.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Yep, you can thank Obama for the mandate.

Boolit Master
    That stupid light in the dashboard is just like living next to a train track. After awhile ignoring it just becomes something that is there but don't register.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

Tire monitors are not meant for folks that take care of their vehicles. They are meant for the idiots that can't remember which side the fill is on and barely able to put fuel in the car.

Actually I've had 2 tires go bad and light was a warning I needed repair PDQ. I keep mine working.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

The laws came about because of the Firestone tires on Ford Explorers. However a tpms would not have helped as a lot of the tire failures were ruptures with sudden pressure lose.
    No doubt this was an effort of the do gooders and liberals to take care of the ignorant.. It also appears that the manufacturers made a mousetrap that needed OEM service so their service dept. and your wallet would be required

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The laws came about because of the Firestone tires on Ford Explorers. However a tpms would not have helped as a lot of the tire failures were ruptures with sudden pressure lose.
    No doubt this was an effort of the do gooders and liberals to take care of the ignorant.. It also appears that the manufacturers made a mousetrap that needed OEM service so their service dept. and your wallet would be required

No the problem was the Ford Explorer had such a crappy suspension that they needed a tire manufacturer to be dumb enough to tell Ford it was OK to run air pressures a third less than what the tire called for. The tires were litterly ran flat and took their toll and eventually blew out. Firestone ATX...they were rated at 35 lbs and Firestone told Ford it was ok to run them at 23 lbs. There isn’t a tire on the planet that could handle that long term with out blowing out. Someone at Firestone was dumb enough to OK and took their beating...bankruptcy. I remember doing the recalls like it was yesterday. Imo not the tires fault as it was ran too low in air pressure. That ATX ran at proper air pressure inflated at 32/35 lbs would run and hold air until the tread wore off. I was managing a tire store at the time the recall started and ended.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12