Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 magnum ultimate hunting pistol

Boolit Master

44 magnum ultimate hunting pistol

Been working on this for some time. 6.25” Encore 44-Magnum. Yup “stubby” is what so call it. Full 1” diameter barrel I sourced from MGM. Counter bored Crown. 1:20 twist so I can run up to 320 grain cast boolits. Topped up t off with an Ultra Dot Match sight.
    Everything I ran at 25 yard cut a ragged hole. 180 grain J-words to cast devestator HP to 270 WTN to 310 grain RFN GC. Hot loads to reduced all printed inside a 2” circle at 25 yards.

I used 296 powder behind a 240 grain jacketed bullet in my S&W 44 magnum revolver. I shot a deer at 75 yards, and the bullet went straight through. The deer ran 25 yards and was DOA. I agree that the 44 magnum is an awesome cartridge in a pistol (and a rifle) for deer hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    I am guessing you choose the barrel length for ease of carry. Full house loads have to be a handful. Did you have a chance to shoot thru a chrono?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dhom View Post
    I am guessing you choose the barrel length for ease of carry. Full house loads have to be a handful. Did you have a chance to shoot thru a chrono?
    No actually recoil is not bad at all. The barrel is a full 1” diameter the entire length. The velocity should be close to the same as a revolver with a 6” slightly better because there is not a cylinder to barrel gap. This little gun loves cast boolit ranging from 255 grain to 310 grain and the Lyman devestator cast boolit. Yes it will be much easier to carry and to recruit into action.

Boolit Master

Would love to see a picture
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I keep trying to upload but it will not allow me too keep getting an error...

Banner Sponsor

Look at the size of the picture maybe there's a Max file size

Boolit Master
    Here is the little gun next to snubby Redhawk Back Packer 44
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CB7E21E9-E00E-4239-8E33-4881D437FFF1.jpeg  

Boolit Master
    well that's something, looks like it would be in a movie or something

Boolit Master
    Wow, bigger than I expected! Do you use a chest rig? You have given me a thought to do one similar using a Contender. I see a 44mag 10 inch on occasion. Cut to 6 and a fast fire Reddit,,, posibility
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    My suggestion is to go to 6.75”-7.25” (still short because the cation is short) so the standard pistol forearm works I re-worked a forearm I had for a custom forearm.

It’s really not that big and yes I will use chest rig which is what I use for hunting with handguns anyways.

An option would be to have it drilled and tapped for open sights but I am glad I went this direction because with steady hold this gun will shoot 270 grain boolit a full house put to 100 yards accurately.

Boolit Master
    That is really cool. I like it. I have entertained a short barrel 44 mag myself. But with a 1 inch barrel you might as well just shoot 44 specials in it as the 44 magnum becomes very neutered then. Both cartridges have about the same muzzle velocity. But then the 44 mag will have some spectacular flame fronts when fired through it though. ref http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

Boolit Master
    1” barrel ? That’s 1” diameter it’s 6.25” long so the chart you sent shows over 1300 FPS for a 240 grain Federal load.

Boolit Bub
    Every time I click on this topic I like it more and more. Gives me an idea for a .454 with a slightly longer barrel. Awesome!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet-SS View Post
    1” barrel ? That’s 1” diameter it’s 6.25” long so the chart you sent shows over 1300 FPS for a 240 grain Federal load.
    Ok, I misunderstood. I saw the snub nose revolver and thought you made a extra small light weight 44 mag pistol. I have fired the aluminum framed S&W 44 mag revolver and it was not very fun. But if a grizzly was bearing down on you a little pain would not be important. So your single shot snubby pistol looks a little odd at first, but it grows on you though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Ok, I misunderstood. I saw the snub nose revolver and thought you made a extra small light weight 44 mag pistol. I have fired the aluminum framed S&W 44 mag revolver and it was not very fun. But if a grizzly was bearing down on you a little pain would not be important. So your single shot snubby pistol looks a little odd at first, but it grows on you though.
    Yea I am with you in this the S&W Titanium 44 is a beast to shoot. NOT FUN So I wanted some heft yet utility as this is a hunting handgun. That’s the reason for the red dot it looks little out of place but is for longer shots. But it sure is handi and it is accurate out to 100 yards so perfect for deer hunting in Wisconsin. I have a good bunch of 310 and 270 grain WFN GC cast boolit so I will load those up for accuracy and should be good to go. MGM does a heck of nice job on the barrel but again I would make it 6.75” minimum so one can use the standard forearm. That said even 7” would still result in nice short handi little contender or Encore. I may rework the hand grip to make it more of round butt but we will see. Not having then cylinder to barrel gap certainly aids in the accuracy department. One other thing I wanted the 1:20 twist for the heavier bullets at moderate velocity. That was a great choice.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 03-28-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Boolit Master

I have a shorty Encore barrel, 7.5" 1" diameter full bull, threaded and in 300 BO. I normally shoot it with a suppressor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I have a shorty Encore barrel, 7.5" 1" diameter full bull, threaded and in 300 BO. I normally shoot it with a suppressor.
    Oh that sounds like a dandy. That cartridge can get out to speed in short barrel it’s a very efficient cartridge especially with subsonic loads.

For my gun I am contemplating a .800 diameter meplat in the 270 grain range for short to medium range work. 1000 FPS maybe?

USMC 77, USRA 79

A load like that would prolly be a lot easier on ya then the full House heavies... sounds about right for deer too
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    A load like that would prolly be a lot easier on ya then the full House heavies... sounds about right for deer too
    Exactly what I was thinking of course I over think the gun thing anyways because it being a hobby and so much fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast