Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What decal/resizing die do use on your progressivepress?

What decal/resizing die do use on your progressivepress?

I have a Lyman and an RCBS. Neither is beveled, so I can’t get the brass to feed on my LnL AP.

Suggestions please.

Boolit Buddy

Dillon, they are spring loaded and beveled and made for progressives.
    L.E.C.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by L Erie Caster View Post
    Dillon, they are spring loaded and beveled and made for progressives.
    I'm slowly switching over to Dillon dies. They just work better on a progressive press.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I have Lyman, RCBS, Redding, Hornady & even some Lee dies, all work fine for me. Is your die plate tight enough. Of course I no longer size/decap on the press.

I no longer need to load that fast anymore. and I can no longer prime on the press anymore , so It's sort of a moot point for me. I go for quality rather then quantity these day.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Dillon, RCBS and Lee for few calibers. Mostly Dillon, but all of them work just fine.

Dillon except my Redding .38 spec/.357 set......which I wish was a Dillon.

Henry

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Currently running two LnLs...the one set up for large primers with Hornady dies.
    The one set up for small primers is using RCBS dies.
    That may and probably will change as more calibers are setup for each press.

I have a Dillon 550 that I need to set up and get running...not sure what dies I will be using.

Boolit Master
    I have a mix of RCBS Lee Hornady Redding like most guys who have been loading many years.
    They all work well in most of my use.

Back when I had a Hornady Pro-Jector progressive and only used it for .45ACP and .38Spec.-

I used Lee, then Hornady carbide sizers. I can't remember if they were beveled,
    but getting a case started up in them was never much of a issue.

The new Hornady progressive uses the same shell plates as the old one,
    so I figure it'd all work the same as the older model.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    I switched to Dillon dies for my progressive (550B), I have used the others and they worked but prefer the Dillons, the radiused opening and spring loaded decapper work great.
    Mark
    NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I have been getting rid of my older Dillon dies and going to the new Hornady dies for my 550.

Boolit Master
    I use all brands if I have a problem in a particular application I lurk around the cast Boolit forum some one there has a solution.

Boolit Master
    On my Star press I use Star dies, On the lee pro 1000 I use lee dies, on the Dillon 550 I use what ever dies are handy. The Star requires special dies, the Lee 1000 needs the Lee powder through die to work with their powder measure. The Dillon will take any die that deprimes on the first station which is almost any newer 7/8x14 dies set.

Something to try would be to get one of those round ball looking grinding stones and bevel it yourself.

That can't be much more than what the manufacturers do.

Just get a good one. The die will be harder than Chinese Algebra, and will eat the cheap ones.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

My prefered dies are rcbs, carbide dies when available though I have a couple of other brands. Never cared for lee dies but I do use their seater dies, the long rifle expander will pull through the collet nut unless it’s tightened by that guy at uberti who installs screws on their 1873s, the floating expander grabs the case and then pops loose. I size, deprime, prime, expand, charge and seat the bullet on my dillons and Lyman turrets. Thats why they’re called ‘reloading’ presses not bullet seating presses. I do use a big Bair press with one hole for my ‘06, 30-40, and 45-60.

I'm still using a Hornady Pro-Jector with mostly Lee dies, with some Hornady, Lyman, redding, C&H, RCBS, and others thrown in. The only cartridge I have any issue with is 30carbine with the lyman die set if I go too quickly I'll occasionally get some that hit the smaller bevel of the lyman die set. Everything else runs great.

Boolit Buddy
    This may sound like a weird question but is the bench level? By that I mean the shellplate where the case stands up too. I have a 550 and LNL. The LNL is more sensitive to case tipping but make sure your shell plate is tight enough too. Long skinny cartridges are more of a pain like 38 special. Are you using a casefeeder? I use RCBS dies mostly. Dillons do have more of a flare. I have an occasional hang up. You do have to be smooth with press handles and not jerk it up nd down particularly with the LNL using a casefeeder. And if the bench wiggles that will cause problems too.

Boolit Grand Master

All of my pistol dies are either RCBS or Dillon and work fine on my Dillon. The older RCBS dies did not have a radius on the mouth but the newer ones do. I'm slowly acquiring Dillon dies for the calibers that I load on the Dillon and would buy Dillon dies up front if I could go back.

I use all sorts of different brands. What problem are you having specifically? What are you trying to load?

Something like a .223 won’t matter much what brand die you use because the decapping pin/expander will be inside the case and align it before the die gets to it.

Pistol cases are generally where folks have problems, if you are only having issues at station 1, just make sure you put the case all the way into the shellplate. Also make sure you have the appropriate shellplate in place.

Boolit Master
    Dillon is one of the few brands I don’t have but have heard they are well designed for progressives
    The newer Lee dies also seem to have more champher on the mouth of the sizer than some other brands I have .Maybe you could take your die to the store and compare to other brands.
    You can order just the sizing die in most brands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast