RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman Musketoon

Boolit Mold

Lyman Musketoon

So I found an old Lyman musketoon.58 in my fathers basement. I remember some fond hunting memories with it so i decided to bring it back to life. It had some light surface rust and the brass has the expected mustard patina for a gun made in 1975. The problem was it had been sitting there loaded since I am guessing the early 80's.
    Tried to pull the bullet. Broke the puller off the rod in the bore.
    Tried co2 discharger. No go.
    Tried grease gun and zerk fitting. Didnt work
    Im guessing but my Dad used pyrodex so i assume the pyrodex had solidified and there was no room for the grease.
    Next was 12in 9 \16 brass tube that i epoxied a steel rod into and cut some teeth in the end. Worked the brass around the bullet and banged it in until it worked its way past the bullet. I managed to get it out finally. Old great plains bullet. Took liberal soaking with hot soapy water to get the powder out. Bores actually in great shape no pits and now clean. Cant wait to shoot it. The question is do i leave the brass mustard or clean it. The rifle is not mint shows hunting wear so its a coin toss . Also when Lyman imported them from Armi San Paolo they used brass barrel bands. Should I replace them will blue steel bands to defarb the musketoon a little or leave it as a 1975 Lyman?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190324_164724_kindlephoto-9188139.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I’d certainly leave the brass as is. Adds character to an old rifle.

Nice rifle BTW!

Boolit Buddy
    I think the brass looks good as it is...

Boolit Grand Master
    Whatever you like is best. Clever answer to the stuck boolit. I like the way you think.

Boolit Mold
    Well I would have tried to shoot it out first but i was pretty sure that it was a maxi type bullet and that the dried lube "glued" it in the barrel and I was worried about pressure. Also no real breach plug to take off on this rifle so i had to get creative.

Boolit Buddy
    That Lyman musketoon should have 5 groove progressive rifling if it's the same as mine.
    Use 60 grs FFG blackpowder and a Lee 58 target minnie bullet, the one that looks like
    a ash can lubed with beeswax/lard mix, very accurate and hard hitting.
    webfoot10

Boolit Master
    webfoot10, is correct.i have been to the range with him and saw what it can do!