WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dillon Dies circa 1994 Steel or Carbide?

Boolit Bub

Dillon Dies circa 1994 Steel or Carbide?

I purchased a reloading lot with a Dillon 650 and dies, bullets, brass, and everything else under the sun. Question, are the older Dillon Dies - bought in 1994 - steel or carbide lined? Reason being.....as I am doing 45ACP, the cases are very hard to move in and out on the resizing die. I changed it to the Lee sizer/decap and instantly it was a lot easier to run the press. I can only assume the Dillon dies are steel as I know the Lee dies are carbide. As well I have seen info that the Lee sizer die is a tiny bit smaller than the Dillon die. It does slip in and out of the case gauge a lot better when ran through a Lee sizer. Thanks.....This is just for information is all.

A call to Dillon will answer all, though I am inclined to say that they are carbide. Look at the bottom of the die to see if it has a carbide insert. I think you meant to say the Lee sizer is larger than the Dillon; were it smaller, it would be more difficult to use.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

even with my Dillon carbide dies I still give my 45 Colt and 44 Mag cases a brief spray of case lube--just makes it so much easier to size them.

for 32s, 38/357s, 9 mm I find I don't really need to lube the cases
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I don’t know what you have but Dillon has made carbide pistol dies since the 1980’s, I still use them.

Boolit Grand Master

Just look at the base of the die. You can see the carbide ring or lack of.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    All my Dillon pistol dies from that era are carbide and I'm unaware if they made steel dies. I lube all my cases well even if the dies are carbide. The handle pulls much easier lubed, sizing unlubed sooner or latter is going to transfer nickle or brass from simple friction to the carbide ring and give you scratching on your cases. I see it happen to guys on bottle neck cases on the necks when they don't get enough lube on them. The stuff doing the scratching is easy enough to clean out if you do experience scratching, a good soak with bore solvent them hit the area with a good nylon brush in a drill.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Just look at the base of the die. You can see the carbide ring or lack of.
    This would tell you for sure. I don't think that Dillon made any non carbide dies for straight wall pistol cases. Like the others have said, a little lube will help. Especially with the higher pressure cartridges like 10mm and 38 Super.

Your dies may be dirty too. You might give them a cleaning with a bore brush or mop.

All Dillon straightwall handgun die sets have only been made with a carbide sizer. The only (almost) exception is on the Square Deal B, the 44-40 ( a bottleneck case) is steel.