Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic sights?

Boolit Bub

H&R 1871 Buffalo Classic sights?

Hey guys I just picked up a new never fired 1995 year 1871 buffalo classic. For 250 I couldnt pass it up. The only issue I have is it doesnt have sights. I was told by the original owner that some came without sight but a scope base. I just cant see a scope on a long barreled 45-70. Ive been doing some looking with minor success. Id like to put a set of peep sights on it. It will most likely only shoot steel as i have another sharpes rifle to hunt with. Id like to be able to shoot at distance 500yds or a bit more. Seems alot of rear sights dont have enough elevation adjustment. For how light the rifle is I dont plan on full power loads. So with a reduced load I think I will need a decent amount of elevation adjustment. I have found a couple sights but there is very little detail in their descriptions. I was hoping somebody might have previous experience with something similar and can give me some good advice. Any info or ideas would be great.
    Thanks,
    Adam

Moderator Emeritus
    Here’s what I put on my H&R 38-55 Target Rifle. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...aluminum-black

No additional holes need to be drilled. I have a globe front sight.

Boolit Grand Master

Check with Lee Shaver and MVA, Look for a mid range soule rear and spirit level globe front, I believe both have the base for this rifle. The mid range should get you close to 800 yds with BP loads and 500+ grn bullets. I would also recommend the Hadley adjustable eye cup for it. These 2 sights have accurate movements a good Vernier and repeatable windage adjustments. SIghts aren't where you want to scrimp. Another option would be a Malcomb style scope

Boolit Master
    The buffalo classic's came with a tall lyman 17a globe sight on the front and a williams guide sight on the rear. I had one in .45-70 and I wish I had one in .38-55.

Boolit Bub
    How much elevation can a guy get out of the Williams rear peeps? Looks like a decent setup for a good price. I found a lower front sight from track of the wolf. That should get me a little more elevation too.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master
    My BC came new with no sights. I've had to fish around for various sight set-ups.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    My BC came new with no sights. I've had to fish around for various sight set-ups.
    What setup has been best for you?

Adam

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't remember back 30 years worth of details. I put a Lyman hooded sight in the front with a ramp rear. Difficulty found in proper height settings. Found a tall front fiber optic sight to correct that issue. Had a scope on & off it for a while. Very functional but it just didn't look right. I've bought a marbles tang mounted sight and have yet to install it. I did install one on a friends and it turned out OK. I surface mounted it after the fashion of one I saw here on castboolits, but it really is supposed to be inletted into the wood. There seems to be a shallow amount of usable wood right there at the wrist for inletting, so I was a bit hesitant. The thing has been sitting on my bench for year now and I have about enough courage mustarded up to go ahead and give it a go. A lot depends on how far the average shot and purpose is intended for the gun. Punching paper at known distances will point you in one direction. Hunting at fast moving and variable distances will point you in a different direction. I hunt with mine and so it is (or will be again) geared toward those 100 yard +/- type shots. Best of luck. It's well worth all these travails to get what you want.

Boolit Grand Master
    ps: There is a thread right now on Special Project of a guy that has made his own "shop built" peep sight. I can see a very good application of such a thing on the BC. If you have the tools and inclination, it just might be a good answer to your project. Again, best of luck.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Here’s what I put on my H&R 38-55 Target Rifle. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...aluminum-black

No additional holes need to be drilled. I have a globe front sight.
    Will not get the OP the yardage he wants (FOR SURE) I know a venier is in his future to go with the globe/Ed

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Check with Lee Shaver and MVA, Look for a mid range soule rear and spirit level globe front, I believe both have the base for this rifle. The mid range should get you close to 800 yds with BP loads and 500+ grn bullets. I would also recommend the Hadley adjustable eye cup for it. These 2 sights have accurate movements a good Vernier and repeatable windage adjustments. SIghts aren't where you want to scrimp. Another option would be a Malcomb style scope
    Those sights wont work on a BC unless you do some reworking. The BC has no tang, and nowhere to mount a tang sight.
    The factory BC sights were the Williams rear, but the globe front was too tall causing the guns to shoot low. I solved the issue by milling a slot in the stock at the top of the wrist. Then epoxied a brass base into the wrist, and D&T for a vernier tang sight. It took the BC to a whole new level as far as accuracy, and shootability goes.
    I'd certainly consider inletting a sight base if you want to shoot further, and like tang sights for long range work.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Will not get the OP the yardage he wants (FOR SURE) I know a venier is in his future to go with the globe/Ed
    I'll second that. There is no easy fix for that rifle if you want to shoot to 500 yards, in my opinion. MarlinMan93 had the right idea.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I have a good friend, bought a mint condition BC 45/70, with scope base only for a song. He put on an old school Weaver 6x on it and it would shoot a ragged hole at 100yds with 3 different loads. The older vintage scope, much longer than todays looked pretty dang good on it, so he left it on. Just saying!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I have a good friend, bought a mint condition BC 45/70, with scope base only for a song. He put on an old school Weaver 6x on it and it would shoot a ragged hole at 100yds with 3 different loads. The older vintage scope, much longer than todays looked pretty dang good on it, so he left it on. Just saying!
    Yup just not for long range ,the O.P. mentioned 500yds not around the corner

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Yup just not for long range ,the O.P. mentioned 500yds not around the corner
    Yeah, I mounted a scope for a while and it got me to 200 but there wasn't much elevation left, maybe 250 yards max.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    The original run of the Buffalo Classic in the 1980s (45-70 only) came with no sights, just a front dovetail with filler and the tapped scope base holes. Almost bought one from a local gun shop but the lack of sights set me back. The later run(s) for both the 38-55 (which I have, never shot) and the 45-70 had the Williams rear sight and a Lyman style (with inserts) in the front just like 1Hawkeye said. Marble's used to show a rear tangent style sight for these guns and there was also a folding ladder sight shown in Brownell's catalog but not sure if they are still available.

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    The original run of the Buffalo Classic in the 1980s (45-70 only) came with no sights, just a front dovetail with filler and the tapped scope base holes. Almost bought one from a local gun shop but the lack of sights set me back. The later run(s) for both the 38-55 (which I have, never shot) and the 45-70 had the Williams rear sight and a Lyman style (with inserts) in the front just like 1Hawkeye said. Marble's used to show a rear tangent style sight for these guns and there was also a folding ladder sight shown in Brownell's catalog but not sure if they are still available.
    Not the one I bought back then. Mine cost about $340 new back then, and it came with the Williams peep and a globe front sight. My local dealer didn't even know about the Buffalo Classic until I asked him to order one for me back then.

Boolit Bub
    Does anybody have a rough idea on the amount of height distance I will need between front and back sight to reach 500yds? I know there are a pile of variables to be exact. Just looking for rough idea. It's looking like I will have to fit a tang style sight to the stock. Looks like most come in 3in or 5in height. I'm thinking I will probably need bondage adjustment on both front and rear. In case the tang base isn't 100% exact center on stock. Track of the wolf has creedmoor style vernier sight in both 3 and 5in with both elevation and bondage adjustment. Same price wondering if 3in will get me what I need or just go 5 and be safe. They have a reasonable priced front sight with interchangeable disks and windage adjustment. Any ideas on how to find top center of the stock? I've never attempted this type of operation before but am up to the challenge.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ.../RS-CREED-5-WE

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...1/FS-DP-SPIRIT

Any ideas would be awesome.

Adam

Boolit Bub
    Apparently auto correct on my phone has other ideas. Interested in windage not bondage.

The midrange shorter 3"-3.5" tall tang sights will get it to 500 yds. easily, unless the front sight was extremely tall. The Pedersoli vernier will make it, but the base length might be an issue with the curve of the BC's stock. I went with a Lee Shaver economy soule and got it with the shorter Marlin Ballard spacing of 1.125" so it didn't need to be bent to the curve of the stock at the wrist.