RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: WTK: Source of boxes for shipping rifles?

Boolit Bub

WTK: Source of boxes for shipping rifles?

Can't figure out where to post this, so I'll try here!

I have a number of bolt action rifles I want to sell, but where can I get cardboard boxes the right dimensions to ship them in! I need to figure this out before I can post a WTS ad!

Sources appreciated.

thanks!

Mr Moderator, pls relocated this to the right board if it doesn't belong here.

I did a search for shipping Boxes on google and came up with the ULINE web site, it looks like they have a lot of products all kinds of sizes and lengths

Back when they were new, Serbu used to ship out his BFG-50s in a budget priced plastic gun case.

It was a good enough case that it came in it's own cardboard box.
    By the time you buy a box and the packing stuff, it might be about the same expense as a hard plastic case.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Many times there are local sources.

A place near here called 'Budget Box' comes to mind. They carry containers of all sorts.

Banned
    I get mine from the friendly neighborhood gun store for free. I support that store and not the cheap chinese chainstores with absolutely zero service though. That might make a difference in how you are charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Back when they were new, Serbu used to ship out his BFG-50s in a budget priced plastic gun case.

It was a good enough case that it came in it's own cardboard box.
    By the time you buy a box and the packing stuff, it might be about the same expense as a hard plastic case.
    I did this when sending a Muzzleloader to my Brother and and it did make it Simple.

Boolit Master

Go on Amazon and buy a cheap hard case - it will come in a nice cardboard box.

Boolit Grand Master

There was a thread on shipping here awhile ago. What I have done is buy an air glide case and 2 locks. Wrap gun in a section of old flannel bed sheet Set in case and tie down with Velcro straps. Then with bubble wrap or other packing materials pack around rifle to snug. Close case and install locks so that when the sliding card board sleeve covers them. Package tape the sleeve in place and along seam opening. Shipping labels and ship insured. Send keys to lock 1 each thru mail to shop or person separate. You can send them ahead of time to insure they arrive before locking case even. Later send the second set of keys.

Another consideration when shipping is value, status, of item Antique valuable collectable beater. Shape excellent good fair rough. Shipping a expensive collectable rifle may justify a good wood box with foam and flannel linings and supports for the rifle. A beater or parts gun bubble wrap and a card board box.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja_Traveler View Post
    Go on Amazon and buy a cheap hard case - it will come in a nice cardboard box.
    I like this idea. I'll have to check into it.

I was checking Walmart & they sell a padded hard case for $10. It didn't look suitable for a large scoped rifle but perfect for a rifle with low scope or without scope.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

If you are not shipping a lot of long guns, then I would also go with the cheap plastic hardcases.

Boolit Master

Either the cheap hard cases or the Uline boxes. I have used both. You can remove a scope, wrap in bubble wrap and pack with rifle.

Moderator Emeritus

I moved your thread.

here are some good tips...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ent&highlight=
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by pertnear View Post

I was checking Walmart & they sell a padded hard case for $10.

It didn't look suitable for a large scoped rifle but perfect for a rifle with low scope or without scope.

AFAIK, there's no law against removing a scope and either packing or mailing it separately from the rifle.

Also, if the barreled action is removed from the stock(s), it will ship in a much smaller case - AND, be less recognizable as a firearm.

BTW, when shipping a firearm to (say) "Joe's Gun Shop", address the parcel to "JGS" at the appropriate addy.

The only thing that legally needs to go to a receiving FFL is the part of the firearm that carries the serial number.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride