Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Revolver barrel replacement

Boolit Master

Revolver barrel replacement

I am going to be replacing the barrel on a .38 2" snubby (not a S&W). It is set up for a pinned barrel and I will be utilizing the pin.

Do I also want to put a dab of Loctite before screwing it together?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    What make is the pistol ?
    We cant give accurate advise with out ALL the information

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Don't use LocTite!

Is barrel chrome-moly or stainless? It matters.

If Stainless barrel use Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize, US Part Number: 77134, It is NOT harmful to use this product on a carbon-steel or CM barrel.

Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400°F (1316°C). It is recommended where copper contamination must be avoided, under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    +1 on no Loctite. It is not necessary, especially when pinning the barrel. The anti-seize would be a good idea but, at a minimum, clean and lubricate the threads prior to tightening.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Don't use LocTite!

Is barrel chrome-moly or stainless? It matters.

If Stainless barrel use Permatex Nickel Anti-Seize, US Part Number: 77134, It is NOT harmful to use this product on a carbon-steel or CM barrel.

Protects metal parts from seizing and galling at temperatures up to 2400°F (1316°C). It is recommended where copper contamination must be avoided, under conditions of extreme pressure and temperature, and with stainless steel, titanium and nickel alloys.

I am assuming that this is a quote from the container. I have used the copper anti-seize for years and years with no bad consequences. Is there something I'm missing here?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Ruger factory used red loctite for their loose barrel problems.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    [/B]

I am assuming that this is a quote from the container. I have used the copper anti-seize for years and years with no bad consequences. Is there something I'm missing here?
    You don't want to use copper anti-sieze with stainless due to galvanic reaction.

https://www.all-spec.com/loctite-anti-seize
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    You don't want to use copper anti-sieze with stainless due to galvanic reaction.

https://www.all-spec.com/loctite-anti-seize
    Well, learn something all the time. I thought the galvanic reaction only occurred in the presence of saltwater. Thanks for the information. Fortunately for me and the folks that I have done rebarrel work for, I use stainless+ grease, all except for pressing barrels into the AK trunions. Hey, it's an AK so........
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Well, learn something all the time. I thought the galvanic reaction only occurred in the presence of saltwater. Thanks for the information. Fortunately for me and the folks that I have done rebarrel work for, I use stainless+ grease, all except for pressing barrels into the AK trunions. Hey, it's an AK so........
    Technically IMHO galvanic means "in the presence of an electrolyte"...so galvanic corrosion would not happen in the presence of water that was 7.0 PH but would if the PH ere 6.0 or 8.0 ?? I have seen really bad galvanic corrosion happen when people mixed steel and un anodized aluminum in a machine that has coolant being used....or bolted aluminum fixtures to a cast iron table and coolant was present. It was bad enough that it rapidly ate 1/2" dia cavities in both metals in a few cases...within a few months.
    Both ends WHAT a player