WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 7mm STW from What and how?

7mm STW from What and how?

I am starting to play was this 7mm STW project now trying to get every thing . For brass so far I have a box of Nosler loaded ammo (@ $3.00 a shot) coming to test the build and a box of Hornady brass to get me started , But can it be formed from some thing else, easy to get and easy to form?

Boolit Grand Master

8mm Remington magnum case necked down to 7mm is what the STW is based on. 300 Weatherby and 300 H&H brass will work but I believe both require fireforming to be complete.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Easy to form...……..Yes! Easy to get...……….NO. It is formed from 8mm Remington mag brass. Usually on back order from all sources. Last I saw was $1 per case.
    I'd just buy 7STW brass.
    FWIW All of my brass was formed from 8mm Rem.Mag brass from way back when the round was first developed. I built my loads around that brass and suspect if I were to use factory 7STW brass I would need to start over with loads. This round likes lots of powder. Near max loads for the best accuracy.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master

The 8mm Remington was based on a 375 H&H case necked down. You would have to neck down, fireform and possibly turn the necks.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I’ve had two of these rifles. The second one is a Winchester Classic sporter. Both of them are absolute bolts of blue lightning!!! Nosier 140 Ballistic Tips @3350 are just deadly, both in the accuracy department and the lethality department! Reformed cases and factory brass both performed excellent! Factory brass is available. But I have many 8 mm Remington magnum brass that are reformed to 7STW, no problems.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Grand Master

It can be formed from a few different things. But those cases are nearly as expensive as 7 STW brass. The 7 STW is usually a cartridge that one does not shoot a lot of so I'd probably just buy a hundred STW cases and call it good. I know that sometimes a reloader just wants to form cases just to see if they can. If this is the case, go for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Hornady has new brass for sale currently as well as Nosler.

Boolit Man
    I have been shooting the 7 Stw since the late 80's. Winchester made some really great brass for this cartridge, but it is long gone.

We started by forming Remington 8 Rem mag cases, as there was nothing else. 120's at 3800 shoot 3/8" groups and smaller with R#22 and 215's. We killed a LOT of deer with this load. The old solid base Nosler was our go to bullet. With regular remington brass, at the pressure node with the 140's around 3550, we were loosing primer pockets.

Hornady started making the brass recently, buy 300 cases if you can, fickle bean counters at companies can cut off the supply at any time.

If you have a set of Paul Bike form dies, you can make cases from the 300 H&H but neck turning may be involved.