RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: yet another screwdriver flinter "kit"

Banned

yet another screwdriver flinter "kit"

a traditions .50 "mountain rifle", whatever that means. i've had more than a few spanish built guns in the past, all kits, and their big bugaboo for me was the breech plug - couldn't remove it with proper pro tools. of course i'll at least attempt the plug removal, in order to anti-seize grease the threads.

DGW had this kit on sale for $390/shipped. the sale price was more than right and the "kit" has a full 32" barrel just like a GPR, twin wedges, brass patch box, and DSTs. have no clue what the wood is, perhaps beech or maybe euro walnut, don't matter. the components i see in the image reeks of investarms.

anyhoo, i hope i'm totally dead wrong about these newer traditions trad muzzy breech plugs ... and jonathon is right, so i can eat some crow.

Hope it's a good 'un for you! You must be bored though, that can't hold a candle to your nice rifles.

Boolit Master
    Kits like that keep me busy, so I am not playing with rebuilding my nice rifles that I built.
    Plus, it is a cheaper & Quicker way for me to play with new Ideas to practice before I start a new custom build.
    When they are done, the kits are totally Unique and no longer look like a Screw Together Kit.

Banned
    No need to remove a traditions beech plug, they work like a charm right out of the box. About the only tricky thing to the traditions kits are getting the trigger group installed correctly. They are fun kits. I been wanting one, just can't see the need for another 50cal though!

If you need any tips along the way, just let me know and i'll help point you in the right direction. The rear sight for me I do not like I replace them with cva bobcat rear sight.

You should look into doing a faux maple stripe look, it really dresses these rifles up nicely.

https://postimg.cc/zVdq9v6K

Banned

i won't ever have a trad muzzy long gun that i can't pull out a breech plug, particularly a new one that will need anti-seize grease. so yeah, this gun is a gamble of sorts. and if the plug is worthy, i'll retrofit a proper touch liner, a real chambers white lightning. will see about the quality of the lock and DSTs.

these offshore guns are stupid simple and i could assemble/disassemble one blindfolded, let alone pull locks and triggers completely apart and fine tune 'em.

Banned
    oh by the way, That being the flintlock version, it uses a pressed in bushing where the vent liner screws into.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    oh by the way, That being the flintlock version, it uses a pressed in bushing where the vent liner screws into.
    that's NOT good, and sounds dumb. what's the need for a bushing? whether a bbl is used for flint or cap, the liner or bolster should have the same threads, as that's cost effective and makes sense. if this bbl liner pressed-in bushing is as you say, i'm already not liking it, that's a major weak link and pizz poor design.

Banned
    been that way for ever, even the cva barrels.

Banned

what holds the busing in and what's its diameter? got pix?

Banned
    im not sure how the process goes, could be something like a cylinder liner in an engine where one section is heated and the other is put in nitrogen to freeze and shrink it, then when all done, everything is set and ready to go. I'll see if I can find a spare flintlock barrel out in the shop and take a look at it.

Boolit Master
    I have a Traditions Hawken Kit that I got at a good price a while back.
    I haven't had time in the past couple of months to get building on it.
    I will have to look at what type of tool I will need to make to remove the breech plug.
    I too want to have the tools before hand , just in case I ever have to pull the breech plug.
    I will do this Hawken as soon as I get moved into the new house and get my shop set up again.
    I picked up a GPR also about 6 months ago because I was planning to retire.
    Got to keep busy, and not just sit around during retirement.
    Cant spend every day at the range. Most days in the summer are just to dang hot.
    But working in an air conditioned shop is nice.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    watching this thread close ; )
    H/D

Banned

im not sure how the process goes, could be something like a cylinder liner in an engine where one section is heated and the other is put in nitrogen to freeze and shrink it, then when all done, everything is set and ready to go. I'll see if I can find a spare flintlock barrel out in the shop and take a look at it.
    why in the world would any manufacturer want to bush a liner - that's extra work and materials for what?

unless the barrel steel is cr@p and won't support a liner. i need to dig deeper into this issue.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I have a Traditions Hawken Kit that I got at a good price a while back.
    I haven't had time in the past couple of months to get building on it.
    I will have to look at what type of tool I will need to make to remove the breech plug.
    I too want to have the tools before hand , just in case I ever have to pull the breech plug.
    I will do this Hawken as soon as I get moved into the new house and get my shop set up again.
    I picked up a GPR also about 6 months ago because I was planning to retire.
    Got to keep busy, and not just sit around during retirement.
    Cant spend every day at the range. Most days in the summer are just to dang hot.
    But working in an air conditioned shop is nice.
    what i use is a rice barrel company octagon vise barrel clamp, an 18" reed corp flat jawed wrench, and a special socket strictly for offshore plugs (it has a cut out for cap gun bolsters). the reed corp wrench gets leverage from a 4ft pipe. about $150 or so in tools.

Boolit Master
    I have a Wheeler Barrel Vise that I made some custom fitted Oak Barrel Blocks to hold the barrel.
    I use a 20" Crescent Wrench that I still have from my days as a heavy equipment mechanic.
    The Breech plug wrench adapter looks like the ones I use on my T/C's and similar to the style that will work on the barrels for the GPR.
    But from what I remember, the Traditions has a Breech plug that Screws into the back of the barrel and has a Removable Thimble on the side of the barrel to hold the nipple not a Snail like the TC and GPR

My friends Kentucky rifle made in Europe is the same screw in type barrel breech plug.
    We have never tried to remove his, because he was afraid of breaking off the hook if the plug was corroded in too bad.
    Looks like you have the same HF 6" bench vise that I do.
    I am going to pick up a new vise for the new house and leave the old one in the old house.
    ( I am not selling the old house )

Boolit Master
    No need to remove a traditions beech plug, they work like a charm right out of the box. About the only tricky thing to the traditions kits are getting the trigger group installed correctly. They are fun kits. I been wanting one, just can't see the need for another 50cal though!

If you need any tips along the way, just let me know and i'll help point you in the right direction. The rear sight for me I do not like I replace them with cva bobcat rear sight.

You should look into doing a faux maple stripe look, it really dresses these rifles up nicely.

https://postimg.cc/zVdq9v6K

Excellent faux striping job on the stock. It came out very nice.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Banned

*IF* the traditions patent breech is the same as this CVA ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spanish_fandango.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	238555

then *IF* it was a cap gun, removing the bolster would allow the patent breech plug to be removed, but there's no way to remove the patent breech if the bolster was cut off and then drilled and tapped for a touch hole liner.

stupid stupid stupid, for the consumer ... win win win for the manufacturer.

*IF* the above nonsense is how the traditions flinter vent was created, i'm cancelling my order for this stupid gun.

Banned
    If its threaded like a cva, which i dont believe it is from the look of it on the inside, one could use an easy out like did after i cut the drum off.

Banned

there is NO WAY i'd put up with a manufacturer that resorts to rube-goldberging their product for their benefit and not for the benefit of their consumer.

order cancelled.

Banned
    hey on the bright side, the traditions plugs dont self eject like those lyman recalls LOL.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast