MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: yet another screwdriver flinter "kit"

Boolit Master
    Koger
    I dont have a problem with inlines as such - dont have any interest in em either but thats a personal choice. I have no interest in military hardware either.
    Dont live in your country so the hunting thing is a moot point - If I did I would have a problem with guys sneaking that extra week of muzzle loader season with your style of gun - out in the main season ? cant see why anyone would have a problem with that.

However I really dont think inlines would have made much headway at all (if any) if it was not for that glitch in the laws - and that created its own unique problem in two parts
    1)put so called muzzle loaders in the hands of a lot of guys with little or no experience of how a front loader works - and little interest in figuring it out
    2)created a strong demand for low price point guns from overseas manufacturers -
    Then we saw a bunch of blown up guns - catastrophic failures - under really suspect conditions - always the fault of the maker - nobody ever talked about idiot operators - there had to be some !
    I reckon the whole scenario around inlines was a disaster looking for a place to happen - and it did - too many times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Koger
    I dont have a problem with inlines as such - dont have any interest in em either but thats a personal choice. I have no interest in military hardware either.
    Dont live in your country so the hunting thing is a moot point - If I did I would have a problem with guys sneaking that extra week of muzzle loader season with your style of gun - out in the main season ? cant see why anyone would have a problem with that.

However I really dont think inlines would have made much headway at all (if any) if it was not for that glitch in the laws - and that created its own unique problem in two parts
    1)put so called muzzle loaders in the hands of a lot of guys with little or no experience of how a front loader works - and little interest in figuring it out
    2)created a strong demand for low price point guns from overseas manufacturers -
    Then we saw a bunch of blown up guns - catastrophic failures - under really suspect conditions - always the fault of the maker - nobody ever talked about idiot operators - there had to be some !
    I reckon the whole scenario around inlines was a disaster looking for a place to happen - and it did - too many times.
    I have owned/own/shot, side locks- flintlocks-and inlines @targets and hunting with some success . I count myself fortunate to live in a country with the 2nd amendment and having the mindset to take advantage of all the ways to make holes in paper and critters although I sometimes complain about the season ending too soon ! I feel sorry for anyone that does not reside in our great nation/ Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    I have owned/own/shot, side locks- flintlocks-and inlines @targets and hunting with some success . I count myself fortunate to live in a country with the 2nd amendment and having the mindset to take advantage of all the ways to make holes in paper and critters although I sometimes complain about the season ending too soon ! I feel sorry for anyone that does not reside in our great nation/ Ed
    Ed
    Despite our whining and your perceptions - things are really not so bad down under - yes we have registration - we cant own semi autos - the rules around storage are very strict and its almost a hanging offence to lose a firearm (serious consequences for allowing one to be stolen) - but I have as many in my safe as I have fingers and toes as well as three pistols (club use only) ......hunting is feral animals and varmints only - but there are no seasons (with the exception of duck hunting) so its a matter of finding a landowner who will allow access (usually or used to be there was no charge) - handgun ownership is super restrictive (thats a major difference)
    We dont have the second amendment or anything like it - we are by law not allowed to use a firearm to defend ourselves or our property - thats very different for you guys but its got an upside - get pulled up in any part of rural Australia by the cops and unless you did something really bad - he will stroll up to the window of your car with a grin on his face, notebook out and gun holstered, neither one of you has any thoughts that someone is about to get shot..............

Boolit Master
    Ed
    Despite our whining and your perceptions - things are really not so bad down under - yes we have registration - we cant own semi autos - the rules around storage are very strict and its almost a hanging offence to lose a firearm (serious consequences for allowing one to be stolen) - but I have as many in my safe as I have fingers and toes as well as three pistols (club use only) ......hunting is feral animals and varmints only - but there are no seasons (with the exception of duck hunting) so its a matter of finding a landowner who will allow access (usually or used to be there was no charge) - handgun ownership is super restrictive (thats a major difference)
    We dont have the second amendment or anything like it - we are by law not allowed to use a firearm to defend ourselves or our property - thats very different for you guys but its got an upside - get pulled up in any part of rural Australia by the cops and unless you did something really bad - he will stroll up to the window of your car with a grin on his face, notebook out and gun holstered, neither one of you has any thoughts that someone is about to get shot..............
    You made my point/Thanks Ed

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    You made my point/Thanks Ed
    Ed
    Most of us think where we live is the best place to be - I made four trips to your country, 32 weeks in all, hosted by locals for the most part
    If I had to live east of the Mississippi or west of the rockies - your lax gun laws and even the chance to own numerous handguns would not be sufficient enticement - just too darn many people on the landcscape for me - I'd proly end up in Arizona or New Mexico or someplace north of there on the high plains - but right where I am now is not so bad - I can wallk out my back door and fire off anything I like - got a 100yard range between my car garage and my farm workshop - and 500 or 700 out the other side of the house - one neighbor about 3/4 mile away and he dont care what I do - nice little blackpowder club range and some shooting mates an hour away - its not so bad!!!
    I had one minor encounter with a cop on the road in your country (at night and alone) scared the heck out of me - and that was a little way north of Lewiston, Idaho. That guy was on hair trigger - one false move and I was gone goose!!!

Boolit Master
    Guess this is getting off topic,though I live here and never worried about police as we are both legally armed (go figure)but I"m done/I"ll keep enjoying life in America/regards Ed

Koger

We recently had every right handed Lyman - Investarms gun made in 2017 voluntarily recalled.
    Despite being proof tested some breech plugs failed with only pipsqueak loads.
    They had over-torqued threads or weak breech plugs right from the factory.

There was a scandal about the proof testing of inlines involving the Eibar Proof House and Dikar over fraudulent proof marks being applied to inlines from 1995 until 2006.
    Dikar only submitted 4 barrels per month to be proofed over a 2 year period, yet all of their inlines had proof marks.
    The barrels were extruded which has been criticized by some for being weak which they are no longer made that way.
    Only 4% of their breech plug threads were even being gauged at the factory, 1 out of 25 barrels.
    It was also determined that scope mounting holes were drilled too deep.
    Guns were being sold in the US without being test fired at all, yet they all had Eibar proof marks.
    And blown breech plugs did cause some injuries.
    I don't blame the fraud on the users, or on the fact that the guns were inlines.
    It seems that the fraud was admitted to and the maker cut corners.
    The details are contained in these Chuckhawks articles.

1. https://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_tragedy.htm

2. https://www.chuckhawks.com/big_deal_about_proof.htm
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-15-2019 at 11:34 AM.

Banned
    thats randy wakeman **** lol. Those marks are for euro sales, not USA sales where proofing is NOT required.

Boolit Master
    well I think after a subject has gone over three pages,the OP has enough advice ,opinions and sho nuffs to set him on the right track,and the whole thing is ready for hijack.......saves elektrikery too......Did I ever tell ya about the time......

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    well I think after a subject has gone over three pages,the OP has enough advice ,opinions and sho nuffs to set him on the right track,and the whole thing is ready for hijack.......saves elektrikery too......Did I ever tell ya about the time......
    yer a bit late mate op was gonna buy a kit -- got enough ""advice"" he cancelled the order near the bottom of page one - we been spinnin our wheels for four whole pages ..................................

Banned

yer a bit late mate op was gonna buy a kit -- got enough ""advice"" he cancelled the order near the bottom of page one - we been spinnin our wheels for four whole pages ..................................
    which is why it pays to really investigate and understand what yer buying before plunking down the loot on inferior stuff that'll fast become a regret.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    which is why it pays to really investigate and understand what yer buying before plunking down the loot on inferior stuff that'll fast become a regret.
    ahhhhh ya know what --- I just love linin up against fellers with them fancy pants custom gunz and beatin em with one of my ole ""inferior stuff"" CVA's - it just aggravates the heck out of some of em too

they factory stamped 1987 vintage I never had a minute regret except when I sold the best one thinkin I would get somethin better ...................

Banned

ahhhhh ya know what --- I just love linin up against fellers with them fancy pants custom gunz and beatin em with one of my ole ""inferior stuff"" CVA's - it just aggravates the heck out of some of em too

they factory stamped 1987 vintage I never had a minute regret except when I sold the best one thinkin I would get somethin better ...................
    joe, i agree. it's not the price tag of a firearm that matters to me, i'm more interested in its value. i've had many a "cheap" flintlock rifle that would do just fine as my one-and-only if need be. if i was only allowed a GPR for the rest of my days, i sure wouldn't complain. it's designs or materials or workmanship that i'd personally consider "inferior" and simply avoid - just i did with the gun in question in this thread, once i learnt more about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    joe, i agree. it's not the price tag of a firearm that matters to me, i'm more interested in its value. i've had many a "cheap" flintlock rifle that would do just fine as my one-and-only if need be. if i was only allowed a GPR for the rest of my days, i sure wouldn't complain. it's designs or materials or workmanship that i'd personally consider "inferior" and simply avoid - just i did with the gun in question in this thread, once i learnt more about it.
    I have believed for a long time that CVA/Dikar kind of went down the gurgler about when they started making inlines - their ML design was always basic bottom grade - (maybe a couple exceptions) but the barrels shot really well - we have not seen any downunder for a long time - a few Lymans - mostly Pedersolis - there are quite a few talented builders out here but they are hobbyists - just not enough shooters here to sustain anything more - you have more people living in Texas than all of Australia and I bet Texas would have three times the number of active shooters. on the bright side once we get away from the narrow coastal strip we do have space !

Banned
    This is one awesome kit gun. You can do a lot with them and they dont need the breech plugs pulled or any other off shelf vent liner installed. Super fast ignition in these rifles.

This is a lyman.. This is what you would call poor low quality / inferior.

If removing the breech plug is so important to one, buy a lyman. Their barrels automatically eject from the breech plug while you are SHOOTING them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    This is one awesome kit gun. You can do a lot with them and they dont need the breech plugs pulled or any other off shelf vent liner installed. Super fast ignition in these rifles. What is that one ?

This is a lyman.. This is what you would call poor low quality / inferior.
    needs a bit of glue eh!

its a kit!!! aint ya sposed ta sand the wood down ta match ??

If removing the breech plug is so important to one, buy a lyman. Their barrels automatically eject from the breech plug while you are SHOOTING them.
    yeah - never liked them patent breeches anyway - but they did do a recall?yes?

Banned
    yes they did a recall last year. I don't trust them after seeing such a huge screw up like that. Then with the wood cracking issues, no thanks. They have been sloppy as hell over the past 8 years.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    yes they did a recall last year. I don't trust them after seeing such a huge screw up like that. Then with the wood cracking issues, no thanks. They have been sloppy as hell over the past 8 years.
    they tryin to get them cheaper and then sell them higher!! its happening everywhere somewhere in the world today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345