RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: New to me .35 model 141 Remington Gamemaster

Boolit Master

New to me .35 model 141 Remington Gamemaster

I picked up a .35, 141 Rem. Gamemaster pump at my lgs today, I recently got it from board member Harry M Pope. It was as advertised, maybe better. This thing runs like it is on roller bearings, and shoots great too. I shot a 5 shot group from my bench in the carport, at 50 yds to start with, kept them all within an inch, about 2 inches high. I then switched to my 100 yard range in my field and shot at a empty plastic quart oil jug laying there. Hit it 3 in a row off the sandbags, then tried four rounds off hand at 100yds, and hit it 3 out of four, one went just over the top of it, a deer would have been in trouble. To say I really like it is an understatement. The quality of those old guns, the workmanship put into them, it harkens back to a time when we made things to last, from a rifle to a garden sprinkler. Just thought I would share!

Boolit Master

The .35 is a great caliber, my favorite!

Boolit Buddy
    What load and boolit, I have a model 14 in .35 rem that shoots great with a clone of rcbs35-200 and imr 3031 don’t remember how many grains without looking. Congrats and enjoy.

I once owned one in a .35 Rem and "foolishly" let it go. They are pretty hard to find anymore, especially in a .35 Rem, and would be almost "prohibitive" in cost to produce. The "spiral" magazine tube works for any "pointed" bullets you might find in that caliber (also pretty rare!) without a worry of a "chain fire" and there are "peep sights" available that will help extend its "range". Congratulations on a great buy. Do keep the pressures down to that recommended in the latest "reloading manuals"; for they do not have the "stronger lock-up" of the 760 or 7600 "pump guns" that proceeded them.

The 141 Petersen design and the contemporary semi auto 81 Browning design rifles just feel "right" when I shoulder and aim them. Raised with a Winchester 94 for a brush rifle, I just couldn't get used to the weight of the Remingtons. My one and only 141 was a .35 and an excellent rifle; you will love yours I predict!

Boolit Master
    This rifle also has a 24" barrel, and the rear sight on the barrel has a dovetail filler. For a rear sight, it has a Redfield peep, may be one reason it shot so good. I was shooting some Federal 200 grain factory loads I had in the ammo shelf. Recoil was not to bad at all. Do any of you know, is the 24 barrel std or was a 20 or 22" std. This one looks longer than most I have seen, never took the time to measure one of them. Also this is a takedown model with the big knurled knob on the left side.

Boolit Master
    That is really nice, congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post

This rifle also has a 24" barrel

Do any of you know, is the 24 barrel std or was a 20 or 22" std.

This one looks longer than most I have seen, never took the time to measure one of them.

Also this is a takedown model with the big knurled knob on the left side.

All the Remington Model 14/141's are takedown guns.

There were several different variations of the M-141 & earlier M-14's, that were issued with different barrel lengths.

Model 14/14A = 22" bbl
    Model 14R = 18-1/2" bbl
    Model 14-1/2 = 22-1/2" bbl
    Model 141 = 24" bbl
    Model 141R = 18-1/2" bbl

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I've always admired the trombone action rifles and shotguns. I had a model 25 in 25/20 that I regret selling.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    These are fine rifles! The 24 inch barrel is standard for the 141, a few were made with 18 1/2, kinda scarce. Both mine shoot the NOE made RCBA clone very well. Careful of overall loaded length, the jam caused by an overly long round can be a BEAR to clear! The guns are addicting, I just made an offer on another one! Gotta stop buyiny ever one I see!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Listen to rking's advice about OAL, I once loaded some .30 Rem with spitzer bullets, and jammed up a Model 14 but good !!!

The 141 is my favorite woods deer gun. I've had one since the 60s. The 141, 14, 8 & 81 were cheap when I was a kid. Used racks were full of them. The 35 is a good deer cartridge and although I've had 25-30-32s the 35 is the only one I hunted with. I started out buying Rem 180 pointed ammo because as a kid I though they were better, against the advice of older hunters. It didn't take long to switch to 200g RN. I didn't load for 35 back then but for last 50+ years have used Hornady or Sierra 200g RNs. The 200g RN is noticeably more accurate out of all my 35s including Marlin 336. I have recently sold off a few rifles but still have three 35s. A 141, 14, & 8 Rem.
    The #8 was actually my first deer rifle and took my 1st deer with it. Shortly after I got the 141 dirt cheap and it
    became my favorite woods gun and still is. The 14 & 141 are natural pointers for me and balanced better than the 8 & 81. I often think of the guys of my dads generation that traded their old Rems in on 760s & 742s back then. They got took. You can't compare one of these old guns to the stamped models.

Boolit Master
    Congrats, you have one the finest deer rifles for brush hunting ever made! I have had a lust for one like that for many years, actually I passed one up locally, cause the seller was to proud of it! The 35 is hands down a winner in my book, I have one in a 336c, and absolutely love it, the deer around hear hate it! A fellow that I work with has a model 8 in 35, and I have bugged him about it, I told him ever wanted to sell it, that I'd be very interested.

Boolit Master
    The first rifle I ever fired was a rusty battered Model 12C Rem. In about 1985 I bumped into a 141 in 35 Rem . Since it looked unfired and was cheap I bought it. Since it is not drilled and tapped it was the first open sighted rifle I shot a deer with in about 20 years. Expansion of the Speer 180 grn bullet was excellent and it penetrated the buck at an angle traveling through most of his body from front to back before exiting.
    The old timer was made in 1946 and is a joy to carry. I also have a 1952 Rem 760 in .35 Rem and a waffle top 336 Marlin also built in 1952. They are all fun to shoot.
    EDG

Boolit Master

The old classics have a feel and balance that is mostly lacking in the new ones. That is why I really like shooting the old ones.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

And don't forget the 14 1/2. 44 and 38 WCF, rifle and carbine version. The 44 I have is a fine shooter.

Boolit Master
    Ajohns is right, now that you have the big one you will need to watch for the rest of the family. M25 in 32-20, a 12 or 121 in 22LR, and the 14 1/2. I have only come across 2 M25 rifles. As soon as I picked up the first I knew I had to have it! Light in hand but has a wonderful balance for shooting. Like the 141, but probably 2 1/2 lbs lighter, same with the little 121. They feel a lot like a Winchester M42, just perfect. I have never come across a 14 1/2, must be unusual around here.
    Load up a 220 grain cast RCBS or clone with a reasonable charge of mid burning rifle powder and that 35 will kill deer with authority while being mild in recoil. Then start accumulating the rest.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    thanks for all the responses guys! The local FFL who bought the business I used to run, had never seen or heard of the vintage pump rifles. He was very impressed, and is starting to look for one himself. I find it hard to believe, that a man who runs/owns a gunshop, and a successful one, knows so little about older guns, and does not keep up with scopes etc.

Boolit Master
    Gun people can be very narrow focused in their interests.
    I know a guy that is a history teacher that runs a small shop on the side. He will have nothing to do with reloading. I know younger guys that only shoot wonder 9s or black rifles.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I own a 141 in 25 Rem. Neat little rifle, slick too! I have worked with the special order 100 gr. FN RCBS mold but got more work to do with that one.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”