WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Please Help! Homemade lead shot dripper...

Boolit Grand Master

Did you try the polished short ramp ? I understand it gets mind boggling. I have looked at many ideas for making about #5 shot for popping crows cheap... so far it is dismal.
    But using the Lee pot would eliminate one of the issues once you get the "spout pressure" and temperature worked out.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Note the three things mentioned are present in this commercial shot dripper.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oasis-Lead-...4AAOSwcUBYSe1f

The bottom is the ramp so the melt temperature of the lead melting area bottom extends out the ramp. Same hot temperature and consistent since the molten lead is sitting on it.

Ramp is very short. Ramp is smooth.

Ramp dumps directly into coolant tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C4pgDCTro This video shows much the same, except they are using a bottom pour pot to pre-melt lead that will be added to shot dripper.

Again one sees the short steep lip, heated to same temperature as molten lead is at, along with the shot drop into a large vat of coolant.

Good luck, I was close to going after making shot. Then I scored some bags of shot at a good price and decided buckshot and slugs were what I would make, shot I would buy if I needed it. Be nice to have ability to make shot shells in a general sense but became a low priority against other projects.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I loaded up three shells with these. Not badd apart from the odd tail, and hollow shot here and there. Il see how it goes once I have a chance to shoot!

Boolit Master

Coolant has too much water in it. Try using cheap dollar store fabric softener straight from the bottle. You won't get that hollow shot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Coolant has too much water in it. Try using cheap dollar store fabric softener straight from the bottle. You won't get that hollow shot.
    Im using straight fabric softener... It usually cost alot of money just turns out it was on special for 2$. Should I get a cheaper kind or... does it matter?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Im using straight fabric softener... It usually cost alot of money just turns out it was on special for 2$. Should I get a cheaper kind or... does it matter?
    I use the dollar store stuff. Straight. I think the name brand is awesome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I spent two years working through a lot of the issues you're having with making shot.

I found the following items to be key to making shot:
    Processing
    - ambient temperature, you will find any drastic changes will affect your process. Document everything you do so it can be repeated later.
    - alloy, a consistent mixture of alloy is needed, vary the mixture and your shot will be affected.
    - alloy temperature, this needs to be regulated. I have found a difference of 25 degrees has a huge affect.
    - coolant, fabric softener will work, hydraulic or transmission fluid is better, diesel fuel works the best.
    - coolant temperature, I use a circulation pump to keep the coolant from overheating. I normally try to keep the coolant around 85 to 100 degrees.
    - the coolant level should be no more than 1/8 to 3/8 inch from the edge of drip ramp.
    - alloy level - pressure - too much and the lead will pour out in a continuous stream. The faster the flow the smaller the shot. A consistent level/pressure will give consistent results (good or bad)
    Equipment - since you are using homemade setup there are a few things you need to consider.
    - make sure the drip ramp is at least 5/8" - 3/4" in length from the point where the lead originally hits the ramp, this will allow the lead to bounce and form a ball before hitting the coolant.
    - make sure the drip ramp is the as close to the same temp as the melting pot, to much of a change one way or another will cause you grief.

hope this helps a little

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Thanks for the help! Il need to write that down somewhere. And I guess il go buy cheaper dollar store softener.

Boolit Master

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iped-lead-shot

Pictures of my set up for you. Wish I had welder to make a nice dripper then have a lead pot that can feed the dripper.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Many years ago, I was told by an old guy who used to make shot, that there only 2 ways to make round shot.

Either poured from a shot tower, that allows the molten lead to go from round to pear shaped to round on the way down before it hardens.

Or, from 3/8" through an appropriate screen into water.

Dropping from such a small height into water, ensures that the lead shot is still round and is cooled before it can go pear shaped.

The only chore afterwards is to grade the shot into sizes.

ukrifleman.

I will give it to you Kev18 for being persistant . Ehhaaaa

I bought cheap softener today... Il try it out next time! Again.

Boolit Grand Master

I still think you are wasting your time. That shot is huge. You could buy a custom BB size mold and be miles ahead. If you want to experiment, you should at least be following a shot maker design. Dripping lead out of a pot will never make good shot. No kind of coolant will fix that.

Boolit Master

Yes, but how do you really feel about his efforts
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

keep it up you will work it out and when you do it will be all worth it. in my search for shot makers iv seen all kinds of odd ways of making good round shot.
    Time is not money when it is spent doing somthing one loves to do.

I didnt give it another go yet, I need to cast more lead first. I wanted to today but other plans showed up.

Boolit Master

I think we all know how that happens. I don't think any of us are truly masters of our own world! (No matter what we would like to think.)

I shot the plate from atleast 15 yards with a 10 gauge loaded with my shot. Not crazy patterns but its better then I thought.
    1 ounce shot
    100 grains BP
    Extremely light load.

Boolit Master

What joy, what JOY
    Shoot on Dude
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Would be a dead rabbit.

~Theodore Roosevelt~