Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Please Help! Homemade lead shot dripper...

Well guess il head to the store and buy some glue. I heard people used liquid glass. A few videos of people reloading with it. Its transparent but you need to wait a few hours for it to dry. Apparently its pavement sealer or something similar. Sounds like glue would be cheaper...

Boolit Bub
    Just a thought. How about putting the shot in a polisher? I have vibrated bullets too long and turned them into nearly unrecognizable rounded lumps. It will take out the sprue flat on cast balls. I don't use any medium but it is rather loud.

Quote Originally Posted by lrdg View Post
    Just a thought. How about putting the shot in a polisher? I have vibrated bullets too long and turned them into nearly unrecognizable rounded lumps. It will take out the sprue flat on cast balls. I don't use any medium but it is rather loud.
    You mean a tumbler for brass? I have one of those filled with corn medium. It might work... maybe?

Boolit Master

I always put my shot into a vibrator/polisher. I do that when I graphite the shot. Doesn't hurt it a bit. Might just help round out your shot. One question though. What are you using to "coat" you drop ramp? I use soap stone (welders supplies). It works great. Lead never sticks to the ramp.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    You mean a tumbler for brass? I have one of those filled with corn medium. It might work... maybe?

No media.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    I always put my shot into a vibrator/polisher. I do that when I graphite the shot. Doesn't hurt it a bit. Might just help round out your shot. One question though. What are you using to "coat" you drop ramp? I use soap stone (welders supplies). It works great. Lead never sticks to the ramp.
    I use graphite spray. Looks like a paint can but its graphite...

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Il try then. No media just straight shot. How much time do you leave it?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Il try then. No media just straight shot. How much time do you leave it?
    I would suggest you just check every half hour for awhile and see what you get. You also might consider throwing in some larger balls such as .44 or such for a little weight. I don't believe I would want to breathe the dust.

Boolit Master

Since I'm just graphiting my shot, 20 minutes. But if you are trying to round out the shot, longer would be better; as long as it needs or until you are satisfied with what you have.

Boolit Buddy
    Is it worth my effort to try dripping my own shot for trap league?

Quote Originally Posted by weeple2000 View Post
    Is it worth my effort to try dripping my own shot for trap league?
    Well I had about a 16 inch pattern on cardboard at 55 steps with my shot. I shot it with an 1887 winchester. So there isnt crazy choke. Super impressive. I thought it would be all over the place.

Congrats to you!

I have the same Shannon Shotmaker that Scott (dsh1106) does, (a gift from a friend whose Dad used it, but is now passed away).
    Attachment 241010
    I have yet to try it out, but I have found instructions to it and also found an article on using it. I thought maybe you might glean addition information from the article and instruction pages for your project.....so I posted it here on Cast Boolits. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ouble-shooting
    Last edited by GWS; 05-03-2019 at 01:17 AM.

Boolit Master

I wish i could get my hands on something like the shannon shot maker. I lack the metal skills to fabricate. But if i could, i would make something like that. If i couldnt find a heating element i would rigg up a camping stove with normal propane attachments so i can switch between a camping stove or grill bottle.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I shoot skeet and reloads. I only use my home made shot. I've shot so many 25 straights that I don't keep count anymore. It works fine. For registered skeet matches, you have to use commercial rounds, but for anything else, home made shot in reloads is the way to go. You won't notice the difference.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234