Single and staying that way LOL getting crabby in my old age LOL

Yes brewing for yourself means you can change the recipe around to suit your tastes. Something as simple as changing the yeast used can result in a totally different beer. And since I brew from grain I crush myself I can really control what goes in. There are at least 100 different malts on the market and each carries its own flavor contribution! Plus the hops are a HUGE part of the final flavor/bitterness.

My "house ale" that friends love is a simple recipe

11 gallon batch

16 pounds golden promise malt(base malt, sweeter background than 2 row)
3.5 pounds of Victory(adds a biscuit note)
.5 pounds of UK extra dark crystal(160L this is the color designation, this malt adds a subtle coffee note and a deep red copper color)

2 ounces of Perle hops(bittering hops) 60 minutes(this is the time spent in the boil)
2 ounces Hallertau 5 minutes(aroma hop)

60 minute boil, cool and into the fermenter with 2 packets of Nottingham Ale yeast

this roughly fits a Scottish Ale profile except for the hops I used. Flavor is subtle sweetness, malt forward with a biscuit note and a slight coffee/roasted grain flavor. Pours a cloudy(yeast doesn't like to settle) deep copper color. Best drank fresh instead of aging... Not bitter like many ales and just a good all around beer...