Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded my beer fermenter...

Moderator Emeritus

Upgraded my beer fermenter...

Tired of dealing with plastic buckets that scratch easily and are hard to clean. This is the first of 2 stainless 14 gallon fermenters I am adding to the brew setup.. Spike CF10 Conical with a cooling and heating setup.

Boolit Master

going pro huh
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

Wow! You're serious about this, aren't you? I used old 5 gallon water bottles. I'm in awe.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Moderator Emeritus

No glass for me, to many horror stories of broken fermenters and massive stitches. Plus it is even heavier than the current 5 gallon buckets I use that destroy my spine.

Major advantage of these are small heaters on the sides and a cooling coil that goes in the center so no need of a controlled temp fridge. And I can ferment each conical at different temps making it easier to do a lager and an ale at the same time. And cleaning is 10 times easier than plastic that scratches if you look at it wrong. And scratches can harbor beer spoiling bacteria.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    going pro huh
    Thought about it LOL but my back says no to 16 hour days to startup a micro brewery...

Boolit Grand Master

Sweet. Did you get them used off probrewer or microbreweryequipment?

I'm setting here enjoying a Founders Centennial IPA after planting the garden (peas, broccholi, lettuce, potatoes, beets, turnip) thinking to myself that I've brewed better and for less
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    Wow! You're serious about this, aren't you? I used old 5 gallon water bottles. I'm in awe.
    I'm still using buckets
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

I'm setting here enjoying a Founders Centennial IPA after planting the garden (peas, broccholi, lettuce, potatoes, beets, turnip) thinking to myself that I've brewed better and for less
    I have those same thoughts a lot. I absolutely hate buying a 6 pack for $14 and sit there thinking that my own blend is better and a a fraction of the price.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

I love buckets- easy to clean, easy to move, cheap.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Very nice Mary! I'm still using buckets, but use them 3-4 times then replace them. I just don't drink enough beer anymore to justify more than 5 gallon batches. Stainless is a dream to clean.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! Nice step uo in equipment. I still use 5gallon buckets as primarys and glass carboys as secondarys.
    👍🏼

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post

Brand new Spike Brewing CF10... not cheap... but if it saves me labor well worth it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw. View Post
    Wow! Nice step uo in equipment. I still use 5gallon buckets as primarys and glass carboys as secondarys.
    That is the advantage of a conical, no secondary. I can dump the yeast at 10 days and then let it secondary without needing to move it and expose it to more oxygen. And it will be halfway carbonated already when I transfer to a keg. Pressure brewing at 15PSI so it speeds things up too!

Boolit Buddy
    Oh wow! I had no idea they would do that. Lots of good benefits.

Man I need to make up a batch!
    👍🏼

Moderator Emeritus

I am using buckets to brew wed.. still waiting for pumps, fittings, some parts I need... going to convert from gravity fed to a horizontal setup so I am not lifting 3 gallons of water to 6' in the air to fill the HLT...

Brew rig I am using...

I prefer to cheat when i brew. I gave up all grain years ago, decided a commercial malt house could do a better job than i can. Stricly martial mash brewing for me. I also use single step fermentation with a 7 day cold crash before force pressure kegging. I find the three most important steps in good beer are,

Sanitation
    Best liquid yeast you can find
    Exact temperature control at all stages of the process, wort to drinking.

I would like to have a commercial system but would be hard to justify when Uncle Sam limits me and my wife to 200 gallons per year. Enjoy your new system and i am sure your back will be much happier.

BB

Moderator Emeritus

Well I have 2 family members who come brew on it for their 200 gallon limit, and 3 friends do a batch here and there so it gets a lot of use.

All grain is more flexible to me for controlling the final flavor. And mashing in is easy... heat mash water to 162, add crushed barley, stir well, cover and wait an hour... a LOT cheaper too plus the spent mash goes to a friend for her chickens and horses(as a treat only) or I compost it for my garden...

Boolit Master

You know I can see where you say that is a lot of money and it is but there are a lot of buts.

I am looking at my retirement in a few years so I get not spending money like crazy but that set up I think is not priced too badly. It’s about the price of what I have spent on a nice rifle (I realize rifles now cost more).

It should last a loooong time.

It simplifies a task you do now.

You get deep enjoyment from the hobby aspect without the body pain.

I say you did a smart thing. I don’t drink much anymore but the process interests me.

Boolit Mold
    Hey MaryB, are you married ? If not , would you like to be ? Any woman who takes brewing as seriously as you do , deserves to have me as a partner ! Unfortunately , brewing outfits like yours are only seen in microbreweries out here in Australia , and are not commercially available to the general public at affordable prices . I am very envious of the results that you obtain , the range of flavours and tastes must be very gratifying . I had a friend who lived down the road from me who brewed beer from extremely primitive equipment and the results were mouthwatering , so much so that I drank commercial ( read "chemical" ) beers with reluctance . All the very best to you , MaryB
    Mzlldr .

Never made beer but my dad made cement mixers of white lightning in his time using pressure cookers
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast