Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hog hunting on a budget

Boolit Master

Hog hunting on a budget

A friend and I would like to go hog hunting, we don't have them here in NY so we figure on traveling to N. or S. Carolina. We don't want and can't afford a canned hunt on a preserve we're more or less looking for someplace that has some hogs and the farmer wants them gone. Any suggestions?
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

If theresnisnt anyone here that can help I’d say your best bet is to book a hunt somewhere in the SE and towards Texas. There are many places here in south GA that offer hints over bait that are pretty much guaranteed a hog. Most hints are very reasonable. Then there’s the cost of meat butchering and shipments back

Another option would be a wildlife maneagement hunt but that’s limited

Craigslist.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Banned
    You DO have them in NY. They are in Alleghaney state park that bridges the NY/PA border and elsewhere.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_fo...anboarfact.pdf

However the morons at DEC have banned hunting them.

Guessing famers are whacking them anyway.

Might look into state land.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Independence Ranch in Gonzales Texas runs about $600/person a little more for big pigs as harvest cost is by the lb hoof weight .

For a 3 day hunt you get a 3 pm check in , 4 pm sight check , dinner and a night stand hunt . 5 am wake up morning stand hunt , breakfast , either a stand or walking hunt , lunch , and stand or walking hunt (swap from the mid morning hunt) , dinner and a night stand hunt . I can't remember as we never needed it but there may be a last morning hunt , breakfast , pack up and check out by 2 pm .

You get 2 hogs per at that price , they do all of the bulk processing , bag , and freeze . You get ribs , front and rear quarters , back straps , tender loins , at roughly 45% of hoof weight frozen and ready to pack in your coolers . They pick up at the kill sight also .

All you need is a bed roll , 3 changes of clothes , comfortable boots , bath gear , and a red or green varmint light . Most shots are inside 50 yd due to cover and set arrangements . It's 512 acres , good food , and in spite of the look of the schedule a pretty relaxed hunt . Ms and I went 3 times . I'd go again in a minute .

Since moving we are considering baiting our own on to our new place using things learned from the ranch . That's not the only gig in Texas just the only one I can tell you about first hand .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

that's a deal right there. Most butchers would charge you half of that just to process them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Independence Ranch in Gonzales Texas runs about $600/person a little more for big pigs as harvest cost is by the lb hoof weight .

For a 3 day hunt you get a 3 pm check in , 4 pm sight check , dinner and a night stand hunt . 5 am wake up morning stand hunt , breakfast , either a stand or walking hunt , lunch , and stand or walking hunt (swap from the mid morning hunt) , dinner and a night stand hunt . I can't remember as we never needed it but there may be a last morning hunt , breakfast , pack up and check out by 2 pm .

You get 2 hogs per at that price , they do all of the bulk processing , bag , and freeze . You get ribs , front and rear quarters , back straps , tender loins , at roughly 45% of hoof weight frozen and ready to pack in your coolers . They pick up at the kill sight also .

All you need is a bed roll , 3 changes of clothes , comfortable boots , bath gear , and a red or green varmint light . Most shots are inside 50 yd due to cover and set arrangements . It's 512 acres , good food , and in spite of the look of the schedule a pretty relaxed hunt . Ms and I went 3 times . I'd go again in a minute .

Since moving we are considering baiting our own on to our new place using things learned from the ranch . That's not the only gig in Texas just the only one I can tell you about first hand .

Boolit Master
    All the farmers in my area (Raleigh north and east) lease out the hunting rights and won't let strangers run their fields.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies everyone. Independence Ranch in Gonzales Texas sounds like a screaming good deal but TX. is a bit to far for a 3-4 day weekend. I have some land in NY near Allegany but no hogs, and if there was there wouldn't be any, if you know what I mean!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

There are several places in Florida that provide hog hunts for around $300. I may do one of those this year with my son.

Give ma a cal I can help

409-789 2839
    God Bless
    Stay Safe

Charles Steen

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    All the farmers in my area (Raleigh north and east) lease out the hunting rights and won't let strangers run their fields.
    They do. I have permission in the field behind my house to hunt anything that enters. Deer, turkey and coyotes. I'm still waiting for hogs to show up. Many deer eating the soybeans.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum