Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for a 32 cal SWC.

Boolit Buddy

Looking for a 32 cal SWC.

Out of curiosity I was wondering if there is a true 'Keith' style SWC out there for the 32 cals. I've run across a few variations of a FPRN and the lyman 3118, but no sharp shouldered SWCs.

Scaling down a 250gr .45 cal keith would make it about 160-170 for a 32 cal. A bit large for 32 S&W long, but 'possibly' do-able in a 327 federal.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in the day, Old Elmer never got around to designing a boolit for the 32's, though I seem to recall him mentioning the 3118 for use in the 32-20. However, that has not stopped our modern day mold makers. I have two molds, one an older LBT design that looks like a 2/3's scale 358-477 that has proven to be extra-ordinarily accurate, and a 315-115 SWC from NOE. The NOE looks for all the world like a 358-429 exactly scaled down. The LBT is the 3rd from the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 011.jpg  
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-02-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    rintin,

That's a great looking pic.

a) what weight does that NOE cast approx.?
    b) what are those other bullets in the pic?

Thanks

Boolit Master

For all who like to do this sort of calculation, the 'form factor' or profile of a bullet design scales as the square of the ratio of diameters. For scaling a 250 grain 45 slug to 32, square 0.314"/0.454" and multiply by 250 to get right at 120 grains, perfect for a graceful design like the NOE one shown by Rintinglen.

Boolit Grand Master

The NOE 315-115 drops at 116 grains for me out of 96/3/1. I'd expect COWW to weigh the same. Only issue I have is that you can't crimp in the groove for a Single 7. I just crimp above it and it crimps in the groove in a SP101.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine runs about 116 grains(the NOE 315-115).
    The other bullets are, left to right, 311-316 120 grain GC, MP 314640 100 grain HP, The afore mentioned LBT 32-100 SWC, The RCBS 32-98 WC, The SAECO 321 98 grn. RN, A Lyman 311-008 119 grain, and the Excellent RCBS 32-98 SWC. The MP, the LBT, and the RCBS SWC have been the best performers for me. My 32-20's seem to like the RCBS the best, while the 327 Single Seven can't choose between the MP and the LBT designs. My 32 S&W Longs like the RCBS boolits and the LBT best, but all shoot ok in my hand ejectors.
    The 311-316 works best in my Browning 53, but I don't use it often, due to the cost of Gas Checks.
    If the LBT Mold was as easy to use as the others, or if the RCBS 32-98 came in a four cavity, I think either would become my favorite. But RCBS only makes two cavity molds, and that LBT mold clings to the boolits like a reunited mother to her regained child. I need to LEEment it, but haven't done so due to the stupidly high cost of the mold.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 05-02-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Catshooter ran a GB for a 100 grain Keith boolit many years ago. I got one of the molds and like it for the 32 WCF. Not yet tried it in the 32 Long.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...2-Keith-re-run

Targets were .314 and 100 grains, mine came in about that. Maybe you can find one for sale.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen.

Thank you all.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Mine runs about 116 grains(the NOE 315-115).
    The other bullets are, left to right, 311-316 120 grain GC, MP 314640 100 grain HP, The afore mentioned LBT 32-100 SWC, The RCBS 32-98 WC, The SAECO 321 98 grn. RN, A Lyman 311-008 119 grain, and the Excellent RCBS 32-98 SWC. The MP, the LBT, and the RCBS SWC have been the best performers for me. My 32-20's seem to like the RCBS the best, while the 327 Single Seven can't choose between the MP and the LBT designs. My 32 S&W Longs like the RCBS boolits and the LBT best, but all shoot ok in my hand ejectors.
    The 311-316 works best in my Browning 53, but I don't use it often, due to the cost of Gas Checks.
    If the LBT Mold was as easy to use as the others, or if the RCBS 32-98 came in a four cavity, I think either would become my favorite. But RCBS only makes two cavity molds, and that LBT mold clings to the boolits like a reunited mother to her regained child. I need to LEEment it, but haven't done so due to the stupidly high cost of the mold.
    Hi, need help. Would you be so kind and measure the length of the RCBS 32-098 SWC bullet. Kind Regards.

Boolit Master

I just picked up a Saeco #325, it is listed as an SWC bullet and looking at the mould that appears to be correct. The nose is a reduced diameter, maybe not reduced as much as a KT SWC... but it still looks pretty good. I will be casting with it this weekend and should have a good photo, dimensions and weights by Sunday or Monday.

Boolit Buddy
    The 3118 will do any thing a 32 needs to do and is super accurate in my 327 single seven, 32 mag single six and 32 mag contender rifle. The rcbs 98 swc works in my S&W mod 30 32 long.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Lyman Ideal 313445 has a very sharp shoulder. Accurate makes a very nice modern rendition of it. I use an original for 32 S&W Long and 32 Magnum. I use heavier bullets in 327. My 313445 drops and looked weighs 98 gr. very consistently.

Boolit Master

Arsenal has a very good looking KT style SWC in 98 grains, with or without gas check. I have one Arsenal mould and have no complaints, it works well.
    http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=60

Boolit Master

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?pro...d=94&limit=100

I've got the Arsenal 133 gr Keith. Works great in my .327
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Arsenal has a very good looking KT style SWC in 98 grains, with or without gas check. I have one Arsenal mould and have no complaints, it works well.
    http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=60
    I recently purchased the 3 cavity gas check model of this design from Arsenal and like the bullet very much for use in the 32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal magnum rounds.

My first session with the mold gave me fits/ Whatever I did, a high percentage of bullets were flawed. During my second session, I discovered that for some reason beyond my level of expertise, filling the mold with a dipper required a totally different technique from what I have used for decades. After this epiphany, production speed rose and bullet quality took a quantum leap.

Boolit Buddy
    I had an NEI 32 SWC and like a fool, I sold it. I thought I liked the RCBS SWC better. The RCBS shoots well in my Super Single Six but my SP101 and my 32 S&W L likes that NEI boolit and I only have about 200 left.