WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Slow twist 7mm

Slow twist 7mm

Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone runs a slow twist 7mm rifle?

By slow I am talking 12 or 13 twist, and would it stabilize Sierra Varminter 100gr, Speer 100gr TNT, Speer SPBT 130gr, Speer SPBT 145gr?

The online calculators say a 13 would work on all but the 145gr and a 12 would work on all of them!

Has anyone experience of shooting any of these or similar bullets in a 7mm?

I am considering building as slow twist fast shooting 7mm.

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Hmmmmm...someone on this forum was doing considerable testing with a slow twist 7mm BR.....can't remember who and the search engine isn't being kind to me.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart with a Douglas 12 twist barrel built by Flaigs in 1958. It shoots up to the Sierra 160 grain bullet. In fact I killed an elk with that combination. It shoots 145 bullets to about 3100 fps and they stabilize well. I've never shot light bullets out of it, nothing lighter than the 139 grain Hornady bullet.

Boolit Master
    Find someone shooting an older Schultz & Larsen or a Weatherby with a 12" twist barrel.
    EDG

Boolit Bub
    Mr Larry Giibon and I had some discussion of an Encore barrel, 7mm 08 with 1-12 twist. Barrel got here and I shot some factory 139's load out of it and it didn't do so good. Lost complete interest in it, had pretty much decided it was a bad decision, this has sparked a new interest in it. Have 3, 7mm RCBS mold, 168 FN, 2 different 147 sil's. almost convinced myself to have Jess rebore it to 358. My thinking at the time was to have a slow twist lead shooter, that would possible shoot 145 at full load. Have to be honest, haven't given this barrel a lot of time at the range. not much help.

Well lak I sure am intrested shame you haven't really experimented with it much.

How long were those 139s?