WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: do you think

Boolit Grand Master

do you think

coated boolits are more accurate than traditionally lubed ones?
    It may be coincidence but I shot like **** today yesterday I was on fire
    couldn't miss the only difference is today I shot traditionally lubed boolits
    and yesterday I was shooting coated boolits..odd to say the least
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I have been wondering the same thing lately. This past Sunday I loaded both PC and traditionally lubed boolits in my 338/280 wildcat. The traditionally lubed boolits gave me better accuracy by an appreciable margin. However, one session does not tell the whole story.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I would say it depends. I have a test setup for my 9mm using a ransom plated vs lead vs coated to see what is really what. I do know diff bbls will shoot better with coated vs lead. My stock Glock G20 likes coated better.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I would think there could be a difference as to which is better may depend on the gun.

Boolit Master
    most of my shooting both in the same gun has been with 3 44mags. I don't think I ever saw anything to say one or the other accuracy wise, basically equal. technical advantage however much it may be probably applies more to rifles.

I prefer PC for other reasons. hard slick coating, pretty colors, less exposure to lead, I can throw em in my pocket and pull back out without fuzz stuck to it, easy way to add .002 diameter which is great for me since 44 rifles like fatter boolits, hardly any cost other than my time.

Banned

Ive never done a heads up test. I know some of my groups are bigger with the same loads as they used to be but then im getting old. I will say this. Ive got a real good buddy that medical problems just wont let him cast anymore so he comes over a couple times a year and I load up his truck. He says hes tested quite a few heads up against each other and in more cases then not the conventionally lubed bullets outshoot the coated bullets. But not by enough that there benefits don't still outweigh the tiny accuracy edge the conventionally lubed ones have.

Boolit Master
    I’m sure there’s some small difference but I don’t think it’d be that noticeable. Some days I shoot better than others. It happens...

Were you shooting the same guns, same bullets, same loads, at the same distances, under the same circumstances? So many different variables out there...

Boolit Master
    PC more accurate? In all honesty I really don't know as I have never done a side by side comparison, mainly because I have absolutely no interest in going back to that sticky gooey mess of lubing with grease, even if all lubed shots would go through one hole.

However, I can tell you this, I shoot primarily 9mm & 45 ACP out of numerous brands & models of handguns. I use a Ransom Rest and chronograph to test my handgun load development at 25 yards. I have no need to shoot a handgun round past 25 yards and I really have no interest is walking 50 yards to hang test targets to prove accuracy at longer ranges, so 25 yards works for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007_1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	238549
    My point is I have numerous loads for both calibers using PC bullets that will group under 1-1/2" at 25 yards. I am considered a pretty fair shot and that is better than I can shoot. Also the the PC group as well as most commercial bullets are going to do. So I have all the benefits of PC and all the accuracy I need.

BTW: The most accurate full power rifle loads I have seen were shot with PC rifle bullets.

Depends on lube and weather as well as barrel condition. PC doesn't make much difference and most of use (apparently) don't clean our rifles after shooting PC. Haven't seen a first shot flyer either. No 'sighters' unless it's long or windy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I will see tomorrow
    going back to shoot nothing but pc'd boolits
    thanks to Tom @ Accurate an Smoke of course
    but hang new backer and targets may even take my crono
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

You will need to find the most accurate load for each before trying to compare them. What shoot well with lubed boolits may not be the load for PC boolits. Compare weights also. Then see what the group size differences are. YMMV.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    I think slim1836 hit the nail on the head. I set a goal for what accuracy I will accept and if I get it or exceed it with my method that where my test ends, so fare I find Hi-Tek to be it for me but I say what ever floats your boat is fine by me. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master
    didn't find out any definitive answers today
    the walk continues
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I haven't shot enough with PC bullets as yet but my early shots with a .45 LC and a .45 AR revolver both showed better (tighter) groups with PC coated bullets than with regular lubed bullets. I plan to try some more to see if this will stand up. james

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I also have different 44's and i can tell you that different guns like different bullets. As well as some like them sized to one size where another likes a different size. Just as one may like one brand of ammo where another likes a different one. I have one that shoots best with a 215 swc where another does best with a 250 kieth.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I also have different 44's and i can tell you that different guns like different bullets. As well as some like them sized to one size where another likes a different size. Just as one may like one brand of ammo where another likes a different one. I have one that shoots best with a 215 swc where another does best with a 250 kieth.
    If that were not true then all we would need was one type of bullet, one powder, one primer, one case, etc. and that would get downright boring.

Boolit Master

I tune a load for each style if going for accuracy. I haven't noticed much of difference if i tune the load. If i use the same load for both, the one tuned is better. I believe it has to do with friction of lubed bullets VS slippery PC bullets.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

cant argue that. they sure shoot good enough for me that im going to go back to just a lubesizer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    PC more accurate? In all honesty I really don't know as I have never done a side by side comparison, mainly because I have absolutely no interest in going back to that sticky gooey mess of lubing with grease, even if all lubed shots would go through one hole.

However, I can tell you this, I shoot primarily 9mm & 45 ACP out of numerous brands & models of handguns. I use a Ransom Rest and chronograph to test my handgun load development at 25 yards. I have no need to shoot a handgun round past 25 yards and I really have no interest is walking 50 yards to hang test targets to prove accuracy at longer ranges, so 25 yards works for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007_1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	238549
    My point is I have numerous loads for both calibers using PC bullets that will group under 1-1/2" at 25 yards. I am considered a pretty fair shot and that is better than I can shoot. Also the the PC group as well as most commercial bullets are going to do. So I have all the benefits of PC and all the accuracy I need.

BTW: The most accurate full power rifle loads I have seen were shot with PC rifle bullets.